The 'couldn't think where else to put this' and decided it didn't merit a new thread thread

Comments

• I’m thinking I should have some of those bad boys, I fancy the box tops. I had a pair back in the day, but they were moody copies from Freeman hardy & Willis. ;weep
  • They are very good leather- a bit stiff and a bugger on the back of your heels the first time out. ;weep
  • Carlsberg don’t do threads....

But if they did.

;carew
  • Suze, I sense a shoe fetish ;biggrin
  • edited December 2017
    For those of you who were into your clobber, I can recommend an excellent book by Robert Elms- he of The Face magazine and ex boyfriend of Sade.
    Called "The Way We Wore - A life in Threads ". Growing up in W London and the fashion phases he went through.All of the above are in there, from skinhead to New Romantic ;wink
  • I remember a guy I was at school with who used to turn up each day wearing a pair of turquoise high waisters and a pair of black 10 hole Dr Martens topped off with school shirt,tie and school blazer.......we all thought he was so cool ;lol ;lol
  • Oldish hammer?
  • imagelost said:

Oldish hammer?

Please don’t mention Oldishammer ;doh
  • And they have brought back The Price is Right with Alan Carr ;doh ;doh
  • Fab book BBB. I read it when he first had it published, but I need to read it again. A similar era ;cool
  • I need to have a look at that (grew up in W London near Twickenham rugby ground and at the right time for the 80s) thanks for mentioning it!
  • Just been outside looking at the full moon with my new binoculars. ;wahoo
  • Sure you haven't left a label on the lens as it's still what loosely passes for daylight here
  • ;lol

It was clear and dusk, with the moon brightly lit up. The clarity was amazing. ;thumbsup
  • I have just spilt a bit of emulsion on our carpet. I have frantically tried to clean it up. However my wife has a laser like eye for spotting when something is not right. The paint colour is not too different from the carpet’s. I have no intention of “fessing up”. If you don’t hear from me again, you’ll know why. In th event that we don’t lose v West Brom, then I’ll nominate Expat to open the next one
  • Move a piece of furniture to cover it ;biggrin

Why is the chair in front of the door ;whistle
  • One of my pressies this year was the dvd Men of Iron, basically a documentary of our transition from the last couple of games at the Boleyn ground to the London Stadium with behind the scenes interviews with fans, players and the board.

Probably not the best docudrama, but still worth a watch, if only because it covers THAT last game against Man U - of all the interviews, Markie Mark comes over really well IMO.

• Why isn't his name pronounced either Shorn Born or Sheen Been?
  • edited January 2018
    Couple of reasons:

1. English spelling frequently doesn't represent current sound of a word

night

2. Sean is the English transliteration of the Irish Gaelic version of Norman French Jahan/Johan.

In Irish, S followed by E or I is like English Sh (hence Sinn Fein is /Shin Fane/)

English transliteration of Irish Gaelic often bears little obvious relation to the sound of the Irish word.

#sinceyouasked
  • edited January 2018
    Siobhan, for example.

Although I once worked with an Australian who spelt her name Shivaun.

;whome
  • My favorite has always been

If Tomb is pronounced Tomb and Womb is pronounced Womb
    Why is Bomb not pronounced Boom

• I had a patient who spelt it Chivvon ;doh
  • Grey, MrsGrey, I should have added a smiley to indicate that it was not serious, and just an example of the oddities of English spelling, but thanks anyway for the explanation.
    One which I used to have trouble with is Niamh, pronounced Neeve.
  • My favorite has always been

If Tomb is pronounced Tomb and Womb is pronounced Womb
    Why is Bomb not pronounced Boom

Because then it would be an onomatopoeia. ;biggrin
  • NE

I knew it was a gag, but in this instance they aren't so much oddities of English spelling, but rather the problem of trying to transliterate the Irish Gaelic script into English.

Rules for spelling In Irish make the expected sounds.

So in Niamh - the ia together would give the English long E (ee) sound, mh together would produce the English sound V

It looks odd, because English produces the equivalent of the letters, rather than the equivalent of the sound.
  • So it's convention then that mh produces the V sound, like th in English producing the sound that it does?
  • My sisters name is Caomha, which is the female equivalent of Kevan in Gaelic.
  • I have Irish relatives, one is called Padraig, which is pronounced Porrick apparently.
    ;puzzled

We also lived in Wales for over six years and some of our attempts at pronunciation were amusing. I also travelled about 20 miles in the wrong direction down the M4 one time following a particular sign to Gwasanaethau Services, which I assumed were the name of the services like "Membury Services" or "South Mimms Services". My wife insisted we were going the wrong way, I insisted that we had stopped at the "Gwasanaethau Services" on the way, and so were going the right way. When we reached said services I had to admit that they didn`t look familiar. On entering the service area building I was stumped, so I asked the nice young lady if there were more than one "Gwasanaethau Services" because if there were it was very confusing.
    When she had finished rolling around the floor laughing, and shared my story with Dai, Aled and Bronwyn, she explained that I was likely to encounter quite a number of Gwasanaethau Services since Gwasanaethau was simply the Welsh word for services and not actually a place name. ;biggrin ;doh
  • edited January 2018
    Irish pronunciation varies a good deal between regions.

So Padraig may well be a /Porrick/ /Porrig/ or /Pawdrig/ or /Pawdrick/ depending on where they come from.

The use of the/h/ to mark out the change in consonant sounds came about when the written form of Irish changed from the old Gaelic script to modern Latin.

In the Irish script, the change was marked by a dot over the letter.
This discussion has been closed.