Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I still think Joe hart can be a great buy for us. In the past he has shown himself to be outstanding - that class won't have gone away. We can make him come back to his best. Still would be a good step up from what we have and his price would now for sure be a bit more depressed
  • He's currently on £175k a week.
  • Lots of speculation today we have opened talks with Giroud.

;pray
  • I'd guess Harts confidence has taken a knock since he was cast out by Pep.

IMO- He is a step up but....

In terms of how many points he'd save us a season ( a la Petr Cech moving to Arsenal ) I don't think it'd be significant for the bandied about 18M fee. Also, if a loan, the rumoured 75K cut in wages to 100K a week is something we dont need added to our wage structure. I'd rather we used those wages for striker(s)

In short, I don't think we need to be entering into those figures for someone who will not be much of an upgrade on ASM
  • Giroud would be fab.....
  • Lots of speculation today we have opened talks with Giroud.

;pray

Although I would prefer Iheanacho, Giroud would be a fantastic acquisition!
    However I don't believe he will sign.
  • Manchester United's England defender Chris Smalling will be sold this summer, with West Ham, West Brom and Everton interested in the 27-year-old. (Daily Telegraph)

The Hammers will make an opening offer of £10m for Smalling, who has been at Old Trafford for seven years, although Manchester United want £15m for the former Fulham and Maidstone United player. (Daily Star)
  • Don't rate Smalling.

The sort of player who only plays for England due to his club. As soon as he drops to a smaller club he'll be straight out the England squad.

Very limited technical ability considering who he plays for and a lack of pace.

For £15m+ on another CB? Not for me.
  • Would rather go for Maguire at Hull than Smalling
  • CB is our least priority, imo.
  • Defence looks quite good need someone to put the ball in the back of the net. Hart wants to go back to Torino, will they have him? ;biggrin
  • edited June 2017
    ;not if they have any sence
  • Bazshuayi said:

Would rather go for Maguire at Hull than Smalling

Going to Leicester for £17m according to the Beeb.
  • IronHerb said:

Bazshuayi said:

Ridiculously overpriced
  • Unfortunately everybody is overpriced but if you don't pay the money, you then get accused of being cheap. A no win for our chairmen.
  • edited June 2017
    Really think we will get Bacca this time! ;yercoat
  • Is it really overpriced if everyone is paying these sort of fees?

It's the new normal.
  • I quite like Smalling and at a price between 10-15 he wouldn't be the worst buy in the world, but with Reid, Fonte, Collins and Kouyate all able to fill those spots as Mrs Grey states it is just not a priority so If they went for him it would make me worry with regard if Reid had been asking for a move. Most likely just paper talk however and put our name to the story as we are the next tier down from his current perch.
  • I think Smalling is a good player, tbh. If in January it'd been a case of Smalling or Fonte I would have gone for Smalling. However, we have Fonte now and don't think CB is where we should be spending our money.

Does anyone else remember pardewisalegend saying we should sign Maguire when he was still at Sheffield United? It was him and Cresswell, I think.
  • No it was him and Brian.
  • Think smalling provides a good deal at £10mil but agree with the concensus it's a luxury not a necessity
  • Need our first of two Strikers signed before the first pre-season game or we will end up panic buying again is my prediction.
  • We still have over six weeks until our first pre season game on July 28th.
  • Aldz ;ok Pretty sure Pards called both Cresswell and Maguire
  • edited June 2017
    Collins only has one year left on his contract and he'll be 34 in August. As good as he was playing last season at some point we've got to think about replacing him and Fonte who will be 34 in December.

Smalling would be a good buy at £10m, especially if Slaven intends to stick with three at the back with Reid and Ogbonna
  • edited June 2017
    Aslef, I think we are hoping that either Reece Burke or Reece Oxford (or both) will be in the frame for their replacement(s).

(not that I disagree we need to be thinking ahead as they are indeed coming towards the end of their PL careers, you'd think.)
  • IronHerb said:

Bazshuayi said:

Ridiculously overpriced
    £12m plus add ons- that's a pretty good deal in today's money IMO
  • Couple of things from the gossip column today.

Apparently we want Joe Hart on loan and Chris Smalling for £10m.

More interestingly though, is a story from MEN saying City want to sell both Hart and Iheanacho to start funding their spending. So, Iheanacho saying he wants to stay put might be irrelevant if they make it clear to him he isn't wanted.

And lastly, apparently Harry Maguire will be getting £80kpw at Leicester.
  • Why loan Hart .... why chase Smalling.... why are no closer to signing a striker..... WHY !
  • I'm not convinced we need Smalling as i rate Fonte, Reid, Ogbonna and then we have Burke and Oxford.
    Hart and Iheanacho though, yes please
This discussion has been closed.