Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I was just about to post that ! Well two right backs next season all we need now are some strikers ;wahoo
  • edited May 2017
    As long as he's not another Arbeloa, which you can't help but fear. Top CV and coming from a big club but best days behind him. I've always rated Zab but we ain't Man City and even in their side they were very shaky at the back last season. And now he's 32.

Just feels like another short term patch up job when a decent RB could be bought, but I suppose they are investing in Byram?
  • I certainly fear an Arbeloa repeat.
  • edited May 2017
    Lukerz

That's what I would hope if this is genuine.

It's a good signing from Brian's point of view; he gets to train with a very accomplished RB, and to test himself against him.

If Brian shows that he is better than Zab for the RB spot, excellent. If not, then he has time to develop further, as you'd imagine Zab has only got a couple of years left at PL level.
  • edited May 2017
    The question I'm asking during this window is 'can we realistically do better?'. Yes, I'd rather we signed Trippier, Bellerin, Aurier or Alves at right back, but we won't. Zabaleta is, IMO AT least, probably the best we can do right now.

Which is why I'm disappointed we didn't go for Defoe. Again, Martial, Bats or Iheanacho would be better, but realistically I don't see any of them happening.
  • I don't think he will be another Arbeloa firstly he is two years younger and secondly he has been getting games this season where Arbeloa had not played for awhile when we signed him
  • More than needing a father figure experienced r/b to learn from (in other words an older player from a bigger club after a last fat pay cheque), Sam Byram needs a top quality defensive coach and he can become our very own Clyde/Kyle walker

Whomever is currently charged with those responsibilities at the club may well not be up to it based on the last two years' showings, so I would hope that person is replaced with someone better within slav's support team
  • Calleri Tore Arbeloa all gone no surprise there.
    Zabaleta is an okay addition but something tells me its again its a last pay cheque kind of deal but it gives Byram time to develop and step up. Hopefully he isn't on huge wages and causes a storm with other players.

However if 2 or 3 signings is our limit and we are getting Zab on a free, there should be no reason why we cannot stump the cash up to secure for example "Andre Gray and Josh King" for example (if we are looking at reasonable definite targets as money should be available to land them) something tells me though we will be chasing players who do not want to come and then valuing players like Gray and King as too expensive and end up with a panic Ayew deal.
  • I have no problem with them going for Incheano /Bats as long as we bid early and if they so no we move on quickly, not like last year where we spent months waiting for Bacca to make up his mind
  • In 2015/16 Arbeloa made 5 starts in a total of 8 appearances, he only made the bench 14 times and was absent from the match day squad 29 times.

This season Zabaleta made 22 starts in a total of 32 appearances, he was an unused substitute 15 times and was absent from the match day squad 9 times

Arbeloa wasn't around much 2014/15 or 2013/14, partly due to injury, the last time he was a regular starter at Real Madrid was 2012/13.

Zabaleta missed some of 2015/16 due to injury but was a regular starter in 2014/15

Zabs will be fine
  • Zab was a leader at city and the fans loved him.

He doesn't strike me as a last pay check type of player....
  • Also, Arbeloa had been without a club for the summer so came to us without a pre season. Zabaleta will (it seems) be joining up with the squad from day one.
  • I'd think of him in the Stuart Pearce category; I don't think he's ever going to give less than his best, whoever he plays for.
  • I read some quotes from his dad also saying he loves the club etc would love to go back.
    ----
    Marseille are preparing a £30m offer to bring West Ham forward Andre Ayew back to the club.

[via @Ghanasoccernet]
  • Would bite their arm off for 30M
  • That would be almost as remarkable as Faubert to Real Madrid
  • Clearly done their research:

"Look further down the list as well to the likes of Kyle Knoyle, who plays right back for the Hammers PL2 squad. He could learn an enormous amount from Zabaleta.

Knoyle is already a a very talented prospect who is well thought off at the club, it could do wonders for his future development."

Knoyle is being released.
  • And to further show the differences Zabaleta is just a better player than Arbeloa prime for prime

Arbeloa was a good right back for a premier league side

Zabaleta was the best right back in the league for 2/3 years
  • Imagine being Marseille and selling Payet and Ayew for £11m and buying them both back within two years for £55m
  • alderz said:

Imagine being Marseille and selling Payet and Ayew for £11m and buying them both back within two years for £55m

Imagine being West ham signing Ayew for 20m when a season before we could have got got him for free ;whistle
  • "(in other words an older player from a bigger club after a last fat pay cheque)"

If Zabaleta was after this then he wouldn't consider us.
  • IronHerb said:

"(in other words an older player from a bigger club after a last fat pay cheque)"

If Zabaleta was after this then he wouldn't consider us.

China ;ok
  • ;phew

It's a tax on (some) clubs - and its not really a tax. They have to put an amount equivalent to the transfer fee into a fund to develop young home-grown players.

Imagine if that was introduced in the PL. ;nonono
  • Maybe or Maybe no,t but when you are going from a Title challenging / Champions League playing team you have being with for 9 years, to a Mid - Table relegation threatened team I hardly imagine the enthusiasm and drive will be as a big. He might be a model professional but I cant remember many 30+ year olds we have signed from bigger clubs being as good as they were at their previous club

I read some quotes from his dad also saying he loves the club etc would love to go back.
    ----
    Marseille are preparing a £30m offer to bring West Ham forward Andre Ayew back to the club.

[via @Ghanasoccernet]

I would sell if its for 30m and try and bring in Tadic who is probably a better player in the position that Ayew would play in.
  • I am personally happy with Zabaleta, we wanted a quality RB and now we have one, I agree with Greys comment that he will give 100% each and every game and no-one can ask for more than that.

Assuming he remains injury free, this is West Ham after all, I think we will get three really good years out of him and provide time for others to develop.

RB sorted, now what about up top.

;ok
  • I'm happy for Ayew to stay, but I would take £30m for him.
  • I'm happy for Ayew to stay, but I would take £30m for him.

Agreed
This discussion has been closed.