Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I think we would have a decent shot at Iheanacho. Go in early with a £20m bid, I say. Show him he is our number one target
  • edited May 2017
    Would rather Iheanacherz over Batshuayerz personally.
  • Either would represent a really positive statement by the club.
  • I feel like I would be fine (not happy) with Zabaleta and a quality striker, if that's all we got this window (and another striker assuming we get rid of Valencia).

Our squad really isn't that bad. In fact, it's the best squad I've ever seen for us.

Obviously I'd rather we get some more quality players in (maybe another proper creative player like lanzini or a better CB) but getting a striker that we can rely on would transform our team and our play.
  • Didn't I hear somewhere that over the season we have played with about 30% of our First Team Squad injured?

Need to replace those that have proved not good enough, doesn't include Fegs or Fernandes but does Johnny C. What we could do with a 15 goal striker as one who scores above 20 a season cost too much but if the midfield chip in with spreading the goals about we could have a successful campaign next year. ;pray
  • Well I don't think he's wrong, the club isn't exactly poor it's just missing a couple areas of quality

Like an attacking midfielder can be bought but if we are being honest it's a luxury buy as we have Lanzini, Antonio, Ayew, Feghouli and Snodgrass at the club

Likewise we can probably upgrade at CB but we currently have Reid, Fonte, Ogbonna, Collins with Burke, Rice and Oxford coming through

As adam said we could do with it but it'll probably cost about £25mil in each of those positions for us to upgrade

Even at CM we can probably bring someone in but we have Kouyate, Obiang, Noble, Fernandes, Nordtveit

The 3 positions we NEED are RB and 2 strikers

It's not even about getting a striker who can get 15/20 goals (which obviously we do want) but a striker who's a handful that will play over 30 games a season

• So you're happy to pay £25-30m for a return of 5 goals over 30 games. No thanks.
  • RB and Striker before first Pre-Season game please ;pray
  • I get the feeling if Wenger stays and they sell Sanchez then they may go in for Inhenacho he seems like a typical "Arsenal / Wenger buy"
  • Bats, Ichenacho and Zabeltta and we are all sorted, all done by the end of next week probably .... ;wahoo
  • I know you can never say never re: transfers but Bilic said this back in February:

"We are heavily linked with every player looking for a move. I rate Joe Hart really highly as a great goalkeeper and personality," Bilic said.

"On the other hand, if there is one position that I am not even thinking of changing it is goalkeeper because I have two great ones."
  • Herb

I don't think anyone is saying that a 5 goal return would be enough. But a 15/20 goal a season striker is extremely unlikely for us. If we could get a striker that "guarantees" 12+ goals a season, we would have done well
  • edited May 2017
    Grey

He also said back then re: transfers that he was happy with what he had. Wonder if several games later, especially after inevitably AC got crocked, he was still of that thinking.

Plus, re hart, he was probably not going to say he rated hart and would pursuing him in the summer - he probably knows better than to say something which might demotivate his existing players
  • We tried to attract a 20-goal a season striker last summer when we finished 7th and had Europa League football, we ended up with Zaza and Calleri.

The Daily Mirror link us with Ichenacho, Sturridge, Sigurdsson and Shane Long.

Come on, admit it, you know out of that list we're going to end up with Shane Long
  • ;lol ;ok yep .
  • Somewhat scarily that would still probably represent a significant step up for us
  • Thinking back didn't the Davids want to sign Shane Long back in the summer of 2010, saying they'd sign one (or all) of the top three strikers in the Championship (the others being Danny Graham and Grant Holt)?

Except Long signed to WBA, Graham signed to Swansea and Holt stayed at Norwich
  • If Defoe goes to Bournemouth we should put in a significant bid for King.
  • edited May 2017
    If Bournemouth are happy to pay Defoe what's been reported then they won't let King go anywhere.
  • I know you can never say never re: transfers but Bilic said this back in February:

"We are heavily linked with every player looking for a move. I rate Joe Hart really highly as a great goalkeeper and personality," Bilic said.

"On the other hand, if there is one position that I am not even thinking of changing it is goalkeeper because I have two great ones."
    To be fair though he isn't going to say 'we need a new keeper' halfway into the season and dent the current goalkeepers confidence. Also wasn't this before Randolph had about 4 shockers in a row?
  • Hope WHU do the transfer business early so that we are still not searching for players when the pre-season begins. What WHU need would depend on diagnosis of squad, need to freshen it, improve it and retain the right balance and depth. No mean task for any team other than the moneybags like Chelsea, MANCS and MANU. Here are my thoughts on rejuvenation of the squad.

Players on the way out should be Tore (not done much), Calleri (a touch of the Zazas), Arbeloa (a mistake), Norveidt (not really made the EPL grade), Carroll (always injured, lacks movement and very predictable) and Sakho (sulks even if he recovers), Randoplh (too many errors).

The current CBs are ageing (Collins, Fonte) and their lack of speed would be exploited by EPL teams. So that are needs to be addressed even if Reid and Ogbonna are still here next season.

How many new players WHU will depend on how many second string players can step-up. I don't think Oxford and Burke has developed last season and both played relatively few games. Cullen seems a bright prospect. But who would step up - Martinez, Rice, Quinoa??

The biggest need is for one or two good strikers and the quality would depend on how much the two Daves are willing to spend.
  • edited May 2017
    Pengeman

the quality would depend on how much the two Daves are willing to spend.
    If that were all there was to it, it would be easy.

We had a firm bid for Bacca accepted, and he turned us down. Batsman preferred Chelski.

The number of proven good strikers is a very limited pool, and we are not really in the front line when it comes to attracting them, no matter how much we are prepared to spend.
  • Sky reporting that Defoe has agreed to join Bournemouth and for £65k a week!!
    Think for that value (not sure i trust sky ) it's a huge mistake not going for him
  • I heard it was £130k a week anyway I see calleri arbeloa and tore all released
  • Defoe deal is for 3 years ! He might be decent for a year maybe two but not three
  • With Champo on this one. Think Defoe was a no-brainer from a footballing point of view. We've been crying out for a goal-scorer for years and he was there for the taking.

He would as good as guarantee 10+ goals a season which in itself could be worth another 8-10 points per season.

I'll be interested to see how this pans out, because I'm not convinced we can attract better; particularly someone who is a proven PL goalscorer
  • A £6m signing on fee and 130k a week for 3 years for a 34 year old. No thank you.
  • No way is he on £130,000 a week.

Paper talk.
  • Possibly. But 90k a week for 3 years for a 34 year old would be ludicrous imo
This discussion has been closed.