Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Wasnt bats on his way to us until Chelsea came in for him? After the season he's had, or lack of one, he could do with some game time.... Alongside JD!
  • I think we need to be realistic - someone who is not brittle and is better than what we have but without chasing someone who we've little chance of getting

Someone like a deeney or josh king - even these might not want to come and/or their clubs might not want to sell

They may not get the pulses racing but we are at the end of the day a relegation scrapping side right now.

For some reason I'm not keen on bats ;hmm
  • But we don't play with RM/LM, we play a single striker with two wide men so Snodgrass is either a winger, a striker or in competition with Lanzini for the "hole" player role.

Also Valencia has been mostly playing as a winger at Everton as he's not going to get much chance to play centre forward with Lukaku there.
  • I think Defoe as an impact Sub when our Plan A isn't working is a good option.
  • I very much disagree that Feghouli isn't good enough, personally.

But, for arguments sake, let's say for now that he isn't. If a winger with international & Champions League experience playing for one of the biggest clubs in Spain has come to us and shown that he isn't good enough, why would we think that someone from the Bulgarian league is likely to be better?

There is every chance he would be, but the point I'm trying to make, is that if we are saying we need improvements, why take a gamble on an unknown quantity?

Personally, I don't think it matters how many wingers we have at the club until we know what system we want to play. If Bilic is going to play the 3-4-2-1 system then you have Ayew, Antonio, Feghouli, Lanzini, Snodgrass fighting for 2 places. If he wants to play 4-2-3-1 then you probably want one extra winger (though no part of me believes that Valencia is a striker, so if he's staying he will be the extra winger IMO).
  • Josh Kings scored too many recently and he'll now cost a bundle. Spurs are interested according to recent 'gossip'. I think he's out of our reach. If Deeney was available he was commanding a very high fee not so long ago too and I doubt we'd fork out that much for him. Not sure who'd come in for Deeney though but he also knows where the back of the net is ;hmm

I think Bats would be a presence up front. Hes strong, good in the air and I reckon he and Defoe would work well as a partnership once his confidence was built up again. I dont blame you for not being keen on him though. He's a risk after shuffling about in Chelseas reserves
  • The fact is anyone known in the PL that isn't a Sick note and can score goals is not coming to us.

They are in too big a Demand, so we have to make gamble..
  • A gamble??

Like Zaza?? ;hmm

;lol
  • edited May 2017
    Josh King and Defoe are good starting places.

Given one is free, you could spend £20m on King and call it £10m on each as an average which is good value.

Although Defoe hasn't scored since Feb. Maybe worth considering?
  • Has josh king scored around 15in the league this year?? If they agree to sell it won't be for less than 30m IMO
  • Calum Wilson?

Was in demand a year or two ago. Now has lost his place to Afobe and King.
  • That Wilson that gets injured all the time ;hmm Perfect for us ;lol
  • null

Yes unfortunately...
  • Negredo another option? Not been bad in a struggling team. Not as a first choice but a good back-up.

I think two strikers needed – a potential long-term option and someone who can fill in as a second striker, sub, for injuries etc.

• We will not get a striker without making at least one compromise. The compromises will include

1. Injury record
    2. Never played in this league/country, therefore not proven
    3. At a big club not playing therefore there may be a reason for this - also will only likely be a loan and we will not own the player
    4. Age
    5. Being at a club similar to us therefore to prise them away we will need to pay a lot
    6. Talented but has problems/issues with attitude

We (ie the daves) will need to see which of these represent the least risk to forego on
  • Right so, what do we do?

Carroll - finally give up and sell?
    Sakho - finally give up and sell?
    Calleri - not sign permanently?
    Fletcher - loan yo a championship club for a season?
    Valencia - sell?

You could argue we need to sign 3/4 strikers.
  • Buy King from Bournemouth.
  • I would say so too
  • Buy Burger King from Bournemouth.

Fixed it for you...

If we could prize him away I'd be amazed! (and like it)
  • outcast

I will check the stats but I think Negredo has had lots of shots but not scored many. So the 'done OK in a struggling team' I think might mask the fact that he's poor at converting chances. Which makes him not an upgrade. imo ;hmm
  • Keep Carroll
    Sakho - depends on how Slav sees his attitude
    Keep Jonny C -boy's gonna come good - trust me...
    Fletcher - if he isn't going to get game time then loan makes sense
    Thank Enner very much and wish him all the best.

Try and get one more striker who is good enough to compete with AC for a starting slot.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT make the same mistake as last year.

Focus on 2 positions RB and CF - put all our time and resources into filling those two positions with 2 starting XI quality players.

If we're serious about bringing on youth players then we have to leave space in the squad for them to come through.

Injury free, we really don't have a bad squad atm, so next season I'd be happy to see

Defence

New RB & Byram
    Oggy Fonte Reido Ginge + Reece Burke & Reece Oxford
    Cressers and Arthur

Holding CMF

Norty Boy / Obiang (Nobes and Kouyate)

Attacking CMF

Lanzini Kouyate Fernandes (Nobes) Josh Cullen Samuelsen

Wide attacking

Antonio Snoddy Ayew ?Feg or a replacement (Lanzini Fernandes)

Forwards

AC, Jonny C New player ?Sakho (Martinez Fletcher Ayew)
  • Why would you keep on Calleri out of interest....

Andre Gray from Burnley would be my targeted signing for a place up front.
  • Yeold

Because I think he's shown enough to suggest that with a decent run he will be good enough for the PL.

If we're going to bring players in and dismiss them having played less than 5 games' playing time, we are going to go through a lot of players.

• To be fair I think for a small bloke he puts himself about well and his touch and hold up play is decent. Thought he looked bright in the early stages of the season and his movement is definitely very good, hence the chances he misses.

Just that conversion. Needs to hit the back of the net.
  • Yeold

Because I think he's shown enough to suggest that with a decent run he will be good enough for the PL.

If we're going to bring players in and dismiss them having played less than 5 games' playing time, we are going to go through a lot of players.

Fair enough.

If someone said Defoe on a free or Calleri for X amount, would pick the former every time, even with his age. !
  • I'm sorry did anyone notice we tried to sell Sakho to WBA in the summer and they turned him down? That was after a season where he made 24 appearances and scored 7 goals, how much better do you really think our chances of selling him after a season where he's made a total of four appearances and one goal?

He's got a season left on his contract and while I have no doubt that S&G will try their best to offload him in the summer what club in their right mind are going to buy a player with his injury history when they can get him on a free in 2018.

Similarly no one is going to want to match the wages Carroll is currently on apart from the Chinese, Chinese football is essentially a retirement home for players who've given up on winning caps or medals, somewhere to earn megabucks before they hang up their boots, at 28 I don't think Carroll has reached that stage
  • I did say a few months ago I thought if we where only interested in british players
    josh king is worth a look I think he has everything in his game to be a top striker
    I really do .

As for Calleri I would give him another season but get shut of carroll and sakho
    save a fortune then buy bats as well .
  • edited May 2017
    Negredo's stats

negredo
  • 40% shot accuracy and 9 goals for a side which apparently 'don't score'

Not bad

Wouldn't be a bad Andy alternative
  • Lukerz

Isn't 23/67 34%?
This discussion has been closed.