Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Oops ;lol
  • ;yercoat
  • Yeah I always thought he was rubbish ;lol
  • I did say a few months ago I thought if we where only interested in british players
    josh king is worth a look I think he has everything in his game to be a top striker
    I really do .

As for Calleri I would give him another season but get shut of carroll and sakho
    save a fortune then buy bats as well .

Sullivan was quoted in January as saying ''we'd like to sign a few more British players to get a good balance alongside the outstanding players we'very brought in from overseas'' but that was when we were trying to sign Scott Hogan.

Again how exactly do we get shot of Carroll and Sakho if NO ONE WANTS TO BUY THEM!!!!????

Seriously, am I living in some parallel universe or something?
  • Maybe controversial but if I had a choice between the 2, I would get rid of AC and keep Sakho.

But my doubt has Sakho head gone, I dont know if he is injured in the body or the soul at the moment.... ;hmm
  • ASLEF , I have no doubt we will get back our money on sakho and carroll will go for
    8/9 million to palace or Newcastle we get back 80k wages to use and 2 sick notes

Yes I like them both when fit but that isn't happening is it history tells us carroll
    cannot play more than 16 games a season in fact his first few back normally are to get him match fit , west ham cannot carry on with these two on there books it makes no sense and is very unfair whoever the manager is because when they break
    down each time the back up options are weak .

just saying . ;ok
  • edited May 2017
    Brookingsirons - really? Palace spent £27m on Benteke, why would they be interested in another centre forward on mega wages who as you say cannot play more than 16 games a season?

You say we can't carry Carroll and Sakho on our books, why would any other club want to?

We signed them, we're going to be stuck with them. It might not be fair but that's football
  • edited May 2017
    Did n't a Chinese club want ac ;hmm and West Brom tried to sign Sakho last summer
  • The firs was (I think) nothing more than rumour. (And then China tightened up its quotas on foreign players.) The WBA thing fell through because Sakho failed the medical.
  • Another thing to remember about last year's dealings is that whilst Zaza didn't work out, we didn't sign a duff player.

His inability to settle was, by his own admission, a 'mental' thing.

He's undoubtedly a decent footballer. He's got 5 goals since going to Valencia.
  • A new name enters the fold, Dries Mertens.

To be fair if we want to be a Top 10 team then we do need a Belgium...

http://www.sportbible.com/football/transfers-west-ham-have-30m-bid-rejected-for-serie-a-star-20170503
  • MrsGrey said:

Negredo's stats

negredo

Hmm. Squakwa puts his shot accuracy at 46% and as 11th out of all strikers in the league (plus nine goals).

• Another thing to remember about last year's dealings is that whilst Zaza didn't work out, we didn't sign a duff player.

His inability to settle was, by his own admission, a 'mental' thing.

He's undoubtedly a decent footballer. He's got 5 goals since going to Valencia.

But he didn't do it for us in the PL which is what matters, he was and is a duff for West Ham. Not really bothered what he is doing for Valencia.
  • edited May 2017
    outcast, the ones I posted were from WhoScored? I don't know what are the differences in how they collect the stats compared to Squawka. Both usually pretty reputable. ;hmm

• edited May 2017
    Yeold

I obviously didn't make my point clear.

The board (and to an extent, Slav) have been criticised for making poor signings.

Zaza isn't a poor player; he just didn't work out for us, and that wasn't something anyone could have known about in advance.

On the face of it, he looked a decent signing, and previously and subsequently has shown that he is a decent player although sadly not for us.

So, I would argue that whilst he wasn't a successful signing, he wasn't a poor one.
  • Grey/Yeold
    Zaza may be good or poor depending on the service he is getting,
    and obviously he is not getting it at West Ham. If he was to get better service
    and support he may well have done much better in the scoring department.
  • Hammerex

Well, Zaza, tbf, put the blame on himself, not us.

He said he didn't settle in England/London, and found he couldn't commit to us in the way he would have liked and we would have needed.

http://www.football-italia.net/96975/zaza-west-ham-my-fault
  • A new name enters the fold, Dries Mertens.

To be fair if we want to be a Top 10 team then we do need a Belgium...

http://www.sportbible.com/football/transfers-west-ham-have-30m-bid-rejected-for-serie-a-star-20170503

Yes most definitely. He won't come anyway.

;weep

Bats will want to play more due to the World Cup coming up in the Summer of 2018, but he might get that anyway at Chelsea due to the Champions League.
  • I did say a few months ago I thought if we where only interested in british players josh king is worth a look I think he has everything in his game to be a top striker I really do .

I'm surprised no one picked this up but Josh King is actually Norwegian! Unless, have we colonised Norway? ;hmm
  • McHammer said:

West Ham United want to sign Brazilian winger Jonathan Cafu, 25, who has a release clause of £10.2m in his contract with Bulgarian side Ludogorets Razgrad. (Daily Express)

This is what we do well, in my opinion. At the moment, the best way we can get talent is by "doing a Tevez" -find a promising overseas talent, who wants a season in the PL to showcase themselves and set up their dream move to Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. I really there is as much chance of us "doing a Mascherano", where they get into a sulk when they realise nobody at the club speaks the lingo, but as a club, we can spend time searching for the likes of Jonathan Cafu, rather than spending the time going through the contract terms and deciding whether we need another 25m player for the bench at cup games.
  • bazWHUusa said:

Buy Burger King from Bournemouth.

Fixed it for you...

If we could prise him away I'd be amazed! (and like it)
    fixed it for ya..
  • MrsGrey said:

Negredo's stats

negredo

Hmm. Squakwa puts his shot accuracy at 46% and as 11th out of all strikers in the league (plus nine goals).

Maybe some of the blocked ones were also on target. That would mean both sets of stats could be consistent.
  • MrsGrey, Outcast

Both Squawka and Whoscored use Opta data that is transmitted in the same way.

For Negredo, both have 23 on target, 27 off target, 17 blocked. You exclude blocked shots for this calculation, and it's 46% accuracy.

I'm not entirely sure where the confusion came from, but both sources are using the same data to say the same thing ;ok

http://www.squawka.com/frequently-asked-questions
    https://www.whoscored.com/AboutUs
  • Does anyone else think its weird that Negredo is on loan from Valencia because he wasn't good enough (18 goals in 74 appearances) while Zaza couldn't score over here and is doing okay there?
  • Cheers alderz ;ok
  • Aslef - horses for courses ;ac
  • Well its my opinion not that of others on here that we DO need to move on
    Carroll and Sakho , I 'm almost certain that this will happen whatever we get back
    we make room for new players a free up wages , nobody can say these 2 haven't
    been given enough time to prove there fitness .

To say nobody else would want them is silly , pay as you play could come in per goal scored that type of contract , send Andy off with a pay off get what we can back
    on Sakho .

Either way this needs a conclusion cannot be allowed to affect another season
    before it starts we all know the same thing will happen it always does with these two
    its time for a new start with new strikers .

;ok
  • Agreed Brookings but I don't see it happening. Andy is probably pretty cosy picking up his 100k odd a week. Sakho you might be able to move on.

But I agree its 2 spots in the squad that are never dependable and as a result will hold us back to moving forward whilst they are here.
  • Brookings

Whilst I see arguments that they could/should be moved on, there are too many unlikely factors that would need to come to fruition, IMO - particularly for Andy Carroll.

For example, we would need to want to sell. This would mean another club would need to bid an amount of money that the club are happy to accept. Let's assume there is a club out there that is happy to do that. Carroll would need to want to join that club. There's no point saying China, because (as ASLEF has regularly pointed out) the guy has just had a kid, and is living in Essex with his girlfriend who is as Essex as they come. They aren't going to want to go to China. So you need a club in England. Let's assume it's Newcastle or Palace (they're the only two people mention). Palace have Benteke, so it's unlikely they would want another expensive target man. So let's say Newcastle. So Newcastle will need to bid an amount that is acceptable for us, for an injury prone player. So they offer a pay as you play contract (as per your suggestion). Now, Andy Carroll is probably pretty aware that he gets injured a lot and misses a lot of games. He is also probably very aware that he gets paid a heck of a lot of money playing for West Ham. If you were Andy Carroll, would you want to accept a pay as you play deal? Because I wouldn't. I guess people might say "he would do it for his boyhood club", but this is the boyhood club who he has already left once already.

To my mind, there is absolutely nowhere Andy Carroll is going to be next season other than at West Ham.

I might be wrong, but I see absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.
  • brookingsirons - I would happily say goodbye to both Sakho and Carroll, I just don't think that its realistic to expect it to happen. Neither of them are going to accept a move to a club on a pay-as-you-play contract, why should they when they're on full contracts with us?

We're not going to get back much on Sakho because of his injury record and anyone who actually wants him will be happy to wait a season to get him on a free. Carroll's still got two years on his contract so even if he did agree to a mutual termination its going to be very expensive.

The irony is that neither Carroll or Sakho missed a game through injury the season before they joined us although Carroll did spend a lot of time on the Liverpool bench as backup for Suarez.
This discussion has been closed.