January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Palace are apparently paying £12m for another midfielder, medical tomorrow. Surely they won't sign 4 players over £10m in one window?
  • Well according to the article, our best finish in the Premier League was 5th under Harry Redknapp in 1989...hahahaha
  • Palace are apparently paying £12m for another midfielder, medical tomorrow. Surely they won't sign 4 players over £10m in one window?

Very Newcastle esque
  • Preston our best ever finish was 5th in 1998/9
  • 3rd in 86?
  • Oxford to Rangers loan complete according to Twit
  • alderz said:

3rd in 86?

1986 was our best top flight finish, however it was before the premier league era
  • alderz said:

3rd in 86?

That was in the old First Division not the Premier League.
  • West Ham pull out of Scott Hogan race, according to Sky Sources.

Are we actually not going to bring in a new striker.
  • West Ham pull out of Scott Hogan race, according to Sky Sources.

Are we actually not going to bring in a new striker.

Could be Sky trying to create some drama. I'd be pretty unhappy if we didn't bring one in, because Carroll and Sakho have proven to be unreliable fitness wise and Ayew and Calleri have been far from convincing.

Bats, Hogan or Defoe I'd be delighted with
  • edited January 2017
    Rav ;lol

Also, I don't like the attitude that this season is done and dusted so there is no real need to rush and buy players, we go with what we have and settle for mid table.

IMO we should be going for 7th, to equal our finishing position of last season, and be doing everything to achieve that, especially after the abysmal start we made. Think it sends out completely the wrong message to settle for 10th (ish), given we are trying to build ourselves up as a next level club with the stadium move. Clubs aspiring for the next level don't 'settle' for anything.

A lot of our problems this season stem from not signing a striker last summer and not sufficiently filling that RB slot, leading to Antonio playing WB and Nord RB whenever Byram has been unavailable. So Sam basically has no competition for his spot.

The board cannot seriously be expecting AC to see us through until May with his record. 5 months of continuous football? Can't see it, and we only have one other striker capable of reliably filling in and he's suffered more injuries than Andy! Add to that he wanted out 6 months ago and has played 1.5 games all season.

I hate the 'do a job' mentality. As in, 'well if Andy breaks down we have Ayew who can sort of play there, Antonio who can sort of play there, and then we have Fletcher and Calleri', as if either of those two are good enough to start half a dozen games on the bounce when Andy tweaks something. Kind of making out we have four other options when really it's one.

Really will be disappointed with no RB or striker signed, or at the very least one of them.
  • Chelsea being linked with Celtic's Dembele.

I wonder if this leave Bats looking for a move ;hmm

;hmm

Or Slav might just feel that our top scorer could always fill in as a striker if needed...
  • Chelsea being linked with Celtic's Dembele.

I wonder if this leave Bats looking for a move ;hmm

;hmm

Or Slav might just feel that our top scorer could always fill in as a striker if needed...
    Which is kind of Luke's point. We don't want someone that can 'fill in'. We want a striker to play as a striker when Carroll breaks again.
  • It's interesting that the only other interest in Hogan appears to be villa and palace

You get the impression that Slav is not wholly sold on him ;hmm
  • I wonder if we might still get Defoe if Ulloa forces his move to Sunderland?
  • Cue Palace signing Hogan and scoring 10 in 16 games to keep them up.

Sigh.

I guess Bilic really rates Calleri. I guess we'll see how good he is if he gets a run of games.

• BREAKING NEWS

Free-agent Emmanuel Adebayor is in Istanbul for talks and a medical with a Turkish Super League club.

• edited January 2017

BREAKING NEWS

Free-agent Emmanuel Adebayor is in Istanbul for talks and a medical with a Turkish Super League club.

Yeah I think the club is "Istanbul Diamantis "...
  • Doesn't deadline day usually get its own thread?
  • edited January 2017
    Buzz kill from young Jackerz

Jack Sullivan @jsullivanwhu
    Very unlikely we sign anyone today, unless someone quality comes available. The manger would prefer we hold the money till the summer.

#gotowork(thenbed) ;wink
  • *puts tie back in it's place
  • Rav ;hug
  • Same place, same time next year folks?
  • The Manager is a very sensible boy....

Saying that Suarez becomes available lets go after him...
  • So it's the manager who wanted Payet gone, hence G&S sold him.

And the manager would prefer we didn't strengthen now, hence G&S didn't spend on a striker and RB.

Glad they've covered themselves.
  • Disappointed pulling out of the running for Hogan (or any striker)

Would like a proper striker to come in so Fletcher could get a loan move as he is just a kid and needs game time at this point of his career

Bilic must see something in Calleri as he blocked him leaving and has tried using him off the bench recently
  • One fluked goal and all of a sudden Calleri's the answer.
  • I dont understand why we write players off after less than 3 hours game time. ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.