January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• In other news....

Notts County manager Kevin Nolan has signed midfielder Kevin Nolan.

Yes. You read that correctly.
  • edited January 2017
    Crazy what are we left with if Carroll gets injured. Wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't let Martinez go
  • Its Ben Yedder all over again
  • Ayew/Fletcher/Calleri/Antonio not great but not terrible
  • Just another excuse for them not to spend money.
  • Baracks: Defoe? the 20m+ Palace bloke? Hogan again? Demba Ba? It's a good question.

• "We have really good strikers in our squad and that's why we won't have a Hogan deal. It's not a question of him."

"We were maybe after a RB but we couldn't find someone who could improve our starting XI. That's why we haven't got one."

Really good strikers ;hmm

Carroll and Sakho are really good strikers, but both are made of glass and one didn't want to be here six months ago. Calleri and Ayew I have yet to be convinced by and Fletcher clearly isn't trusted. Antonio can do a job but as was said before, I don't want a striker that can just do a job.

And as for the right back thing, I'm just staggered. Byram breaks again and then what? Nordtveit at right back? Arbeloa? Sorry Slav, but I just don't get the logic.
  • Twist - Did you see that article about us being the (I think) 6th highest net spenders since G&S came in?

So Slav is a liar. Slav has no backbone, no self-esteem, and is happy to do and say whatever the DD's tell him to?

That is the inevitable conclusion if you are right in what you think.

Or, he's simply saying what he thinks, and you are reading it wrong.

• and Sakho when he recovers that's 6 players including Carroll to play upfront. Any decent player worth having will almost certainly not be moving in Jan as their clubs won't want to let them go I don't see a lot of players worth singing in Jan.
  • and we are currently on our best run of this season won 5 in 7 in the PL I think ;hmm
  • It's not a problem holding back in January for reasons Pearce's has cited. The problem comes when you make a real hash of the summer window too which for us always seems to be the case where strikers and rights backs are concerned.
  • Lets hope they get things right this summer and can start looking at players now to buy this summer
  • I don't know enough about Hogan to know if he's worth a go or not but my worry is the last quality striker we were able to bring in was Carroll. None of the so called top strikers in the summer were remotely interested in us and we were in Europe and I doubt much will change this summer.
    Finishing in the bottom half of the table , which is still a possibility, wouldn't make us attractive.
    My hope is that they've someone in mind for the summer, like but not necessarily Sturridge, and they're waiting for that.
  • Friend who's a Brentford fan is furious about our behaviour on Hogan and have to say there's some truth. While there were other clubs involved, we were very public in our bidding. While the club might not have officially stated they wanted him, the mass of news reports stink of leaked information. http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-transfers-bilic-confirms-west-12531477

• I did listen to it but wondered why when they sat down and Bilic said no they didn't say "ok that's a no go" right at the very beginning as it seems as if they kept going in with bids virtually for the whole of January. If Bilic did say no from the outset why didn't they say so then.
    Surely they discussed targets at the start of the window not the end.
    It does seem a little that Callieri's fluke goal at Middlesbrough swayed Bilic as he wax young right up to the end of last wee.
  • edited January 2017
    Outcast

But is there any way to say where the leaks came from?

What about Brentford doing it to drum up some competition and push up the price?

Or his agent?

Why would our club be the ones leaking it? What benefit is it to them?

And the article says:

NO bid was forthcoming, no fees had been agreed and there was minimal contact over the past three weeks
    Wouldn't that be a kind of hint that we weren't that keen?
  • iS tHe DeAdLiNe ElEvEn Pm?
  • I must say I'm once again disappointed in our window but understand high values and availability of decent players is thin on the ground but we seem to talk about the same things every window no striker of quality no right back ..

I hope we do some good business in the summer and hope the extra cash from payet is added to the budget but I would guess not , I heard Sullivan say on talk sport today they had spent 16m of the 25m from that payet deal ;doh

so was we spending any money before we new payet wanted out ?
    they now seem to be using that line about payet money when that to me was extra cash coming in or have I missed something ?

So Slav is a liar. Slav has no backbone, no self-esteem, and is happy to do and say whatever the DD's tell him to?

That is the inevitable conclusion if you are right in what you think.

Or, he's simply saying what he thinks, and you are reading it wrong.

I think that he's saying what the board want him to say. Not because he's a liar or has no back bone but in the football world you have to be careful what you say as you can easily get the sack.
    If he comes out to the media and says 'i want this player, this player, this player, but the owners don't want to spend'. Who gets the sack?
    My opinion is the board are cheap
  • It does seem a tad bizarre because we could easily have been spending £20M on Zaza or was it always our intention, regardless of his form, to not play him enough to trigger the clause. Maybe if we had had to buy Zaza we would have needed to sell Payet to pay for him.
  • is it not the case we seem to leak out a story every window and always get let down come the close of play ... keeps us fans happy for a while very clever from our owners but very frustrating for the fans .
  • so we spent 16m on 2 players with a combined age of 62 ;lol
  • Win lose or draw I hope we manage to score in our next couple of games or we may just start to look a tad foolish for saying our strike force is sufficient. In about 30 games this season our strikers have hardly hit the net. Carroll and Antonio are the only ones to have scored more than one
  • Right now I'd take Sturridge on loan if the fallback option to the fragile pair was Calleri

But I guess Liverpool wouldn't be interested in anything but a straight sale
  • Outcast

But is there any way to say where the leaks came from?

What about Brentford doing it to drum up some competition and push up the price?

Or his agent?

Why would our club be the ones leaking it? What benefit is it to them?

And the article says:

NO bid was forthcoming, no fees had been agreed and there was minimal contact over the past three weeks
    Wouldn't that be a kind of hint that we weren't that keen?

The potential benefit would be to unsettle him and possibly to eventually get a reduced deal when they cave because they have an unsettled player.

I'm sure they did also leak some but this game has gone on throughout the whole window and a lot of it has clearly come from us because of what the information is - like the rumours of Bilic being the one who will decide. Didn't the Insider hint at Hogan before it was scrapped? If we were going to say we don't want him, why not earlier? It's not like we've brought in another striker - our available options have not changed.
  • Beautiful picture someone (AdamTungatt { @PulseHRAdam }) tweeted and sent into BBC deadline day live:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3fgWZgWQAEIQWU.jpg
  • Brookings, who cares how old they are if they improve the first XI.....

Slaven, yes Slaven not the board, is happy with the squad at the momeny and that's all that matter

We are competing on ONE front for the remainder of the season, yes one front and at the very best is 7th place which could get us Europa league football but do we really want it?

Randy
    Byram Reid Fonte Cressy
    Noble Obiang
    Antonio Lanzini Snodgrass
    Carroll

With Kouyate, Collins, Adrian, Ayew, Feghouli, Calleri, Arbeloa, Nordtveit and Fernandes not even involved plus Sakho and Masuaka to return

If we hash out in the summer then this window could come back to bite us but can't we wait untill the summer before we write it off?
This discussion has been closed.