January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• BBC quote .....Plamen Enchev: According to Bulgarian Telegraph Agency Dimitar Berbatov is in final talks with West Ham. Looks like a joke, but who knows.
    surely not!
  • I think i mentioned him a while back as i heard he was looking for a return to london. Maybe not so crazy an idea.
  • Perhaps, with Hogan in mind, they would've taken him but just not at the price Brentford were asking? Its one thing believing a player has the potential to be decent for us and perhaps another to fork out 15M. There are plenty of players like Rhodes touted for decent money and the lad Dwight Gayle who Palace sold to Newcastle who can score plenty in the Championship but dont come even close to replicating in the Prem. I would've liked us to have got Hogan, but perhaps thats because I am/was greedy for us to bag a predatory striker.

(as for Berbatov, I wanted him 2 years ago but surely he's now way too long in the tooth. Those past couple of seasons havent seen him set him club(s) alight. A great player in the past, but now?)
  • Should we not bring in a striker then the owners/Slav have taken a gamble that Carroll will stay fit as with him in the side we will score goals and achieve an appropriate position, should he break down again however we will be woefully short once again and they will have only themselves to blame. With the extra points on the board they may feel it is a gamble worth taking, but it could backfire as we are not so far clear that without Payet and Carroll we could find ourselves short of class.
  • Re Slav's interview,the bit I like is the Oxford to Reading on loan subject to medical.This is exactly what he needs,a decent Championship side chasing promotion with a manager (Stam) who was an excellent centre back that he can learn from.If it goes ahead this might be the best bit of news in the transfer window long-term.
  • Its not even a gamble imo. I hate it but cant see him staying fit.
  • Rav I'm so sorry, perhaps the summer eh? ;hug

IMG_1595
  • edited January 2017

Just another excuse for them not to spend money.

What money?

we have had cash flow issues since the day they arrived. For seven years they've sorted the business and restructured it for the better. I don't agree with a lot they do but it amazes me how much flack they get over this

We're just about to announce 5-10m losses for last season and the new stadium brings in only 12m more a season through cheap tickets.

The manager doesn't want to spend what we don't really have and I'm cool with that. Unless of course you're calling Slav a liar twist?

We've just spent more than we ever spend in January

We add it to the summer fund and go again.

COYI
  • Basing last summer as evidence, I can't wait
  • Base it on the one before ;ok
  • alderz said:

I know this is a crazy idea, but could it actually be that Slav is happy with the squad? Maybe that's why the club are saying that he is?

As an aside, I have my reservations that Jack is right. Lower expectations and then trying to bring in Hogan is better than tweeting out that we are expecting a signing that never arrives

Try harder not to bring sense, common or otherwise, to the conversation.

Shame on you.
  • Long story short no one else is coming in this January unless someone special becomes available last minute which won't happen

So deal with it ;cool
  • It isn't true ;ok
  • Oxford confirmed on OS. I'm generally sceptical about loans but this seems a good one, if we he gets game. http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/january/31-january/oxford-heads-reading?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
  • so Zero youngsters going to get a go between now and the end of the season likely ? in a season where we have nothing to play for Cup or European Wise.
  • edited January 2017
    I think it is better for the development of these 'nearly' players that they get regular games in a proper competitive league, rather than 5 minutes here and 20 minutes there in our games.

Lets face it, we are still pushing to finish as high as we can - every league place brings in money which can be used to strengthen the squad.

If Slav thought they were ready to play consistently in the PL, he would have kept them at the club. I infer from these loans that they still have some developing to do to get to the standard where he's happy to give them a go. (He does see them in training every day, so he is well-placed to judge.)

imo
  • Mrs Grey we have been told that the money isnt the issue its the wages with FFP ?

If we put ourselves in a position to go for Europe for next season, you wouldn't want to be introducing youngsters to the league campaign to potentially jeopardise that and would be unlikely they get a shot at playing barring an injury crisis.
  • Mrs Grey we have been told that the money isnt the issue its the wages with FFP ?

Been told by whom?

Not by me, you've not. I've been banging on for ages about how FFP has some rules that apply to wages, and some that apply to overall budgets (which means spend, how big your losses are allowed to, what debt you can have etc)

Nobody takes any notice, though.
  • edited January 2017

Gold and Sullivan numerous times have said, the money isn't a factor in our purchasing of players.
  • edited January 2017
    Have they? Really?

I'm not sure I've seen them say that, and I'm also not of the opinion that even if they did, they meant that FFP doesn't restrict what they can do.

(Edit - can I remind you about not quoting whole comments unnecessarily? Ta! ;ok )

• All the hype to transfer deadline day then sky don't even bother showing it properly for 3 hours
  • Well thats 3 hours less of Jim whats his face. So not all bad.
  • ;nonono ;nonono
  • ;nonono ;nonono ;nonono
  • Ooops! ;run
  • 7 new posts on this thread had me thinking we were about to conclude a stunning last minute striker swoop

More fool me

;doh
  • Slow day so far...

Igahlo to China seems to be the big news of the day.
This discussion has been closed.