January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Bloomping Jalgielka. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We have Oxford available immediately with Burke for next season. We desperately need right back cover and a centre forward, and IMO, that is all we need until the summer. Judging by the way we played second half 4-4-2 looks promising, but that was with a proper right back. If Byram gets injured again, or suspended (more likely) then we are back to Antonio or God forbid Nordveit. The important thing is getting a settled side and formation WITH SOMEONE ALONGSIDE CARROLL ;bowdown I know nothing about Hogan, but from what I have heard he is nippy and a poacher. Should complement Big Andy perfectly, and he is a good age. I think buying the best of the lower leagues, whilst nurturing our own up and coming youngsters, is the way to go now. You can keep the "marquee" signings, its just not us. Sakho only threw a strop because of all this 20 goal a season 30 million pound tripe. Hogan and Iorfa would make sense to me. And what ever happened to Stephen Hendrie, meant to be Cresswells understudy? We have a good squad, yesterdays match day squad didn`t look too bad to me, and we have Kouyate, Ayew and Sakho all to come back. If we get a bit of luck on the injury front, and Bilic is able to pick a settled side, then splashing out on anything but a striker and right back would madness at the minute. Also agree on Feghouli, needs to be given a run in the side now, would be bonkers to let him go just as he looks to have settled. Oh, and just in case I forgot to say: Big Andy ;bowdown
  • Sky say we've agreed an initial fee of £9m for Hogan, but that we are only willing to pay 3m in add ons, whereas Brentford want an additional £6m. Watford and WBA interested.

So tight ;doh
  • edited January 2017

If he sings for Watford or WBA I will ;facepalm

As long as he signs for us, he can sing for whoever.
  • Many on here, me included, thought £20m for Ayew was excessive but £15m for Hogan is encouraged.

I'm not so sure at that price. ;hmm
  • Ironherb

I know what you mean but at £12m, I'd probably be fine with it. So, there's a difference of £3m (in add ons). In the grand scheme of things, £3m is very little.

So, although £15m seems a bit too high, we should just pay the extra £3m to sign him (especially considering we're one injury away from having only Fletcher as a striker).
  • And what ever happened to Stephen Hendrie, meant to be Cresswells understudy?

On loan at Blackburn. Doesn't seem to be getting much game time. Dunno if he's injured or not.
  • Interesting (ish). China bringing in rules to limit number of foreign players in a match to 3 only. From next season.

(As reported on bbc today)
  • I'm going to go out on a limb and say we don't sign any first team players before the Boro game.
  • We'll have a striker by Boro.

100%
  • It will never last imo , nobody will keep
    Paying 500k a week it's doomed to failure
    And who do you take to court when it all
    Goes pear shaped...
  • £12million, £15million, nothing now, he is a gamble at either, but a bigger gamble is Carroll breaking down next match (or training session) with only Fletcher and Martinez as recognised strikers. We are not in the £50 million buys you a guaranteed goal machine league, so anyone we buy will be a gamble. Pay the money and get him in (plus a right back).
  • yes his name is Andy Carroll ;ok
  • Amazing we were having £32m and £40m bids rejected only 6 months ago?

Where's that gone?
  • On stupid loan deals.

Where's that gone?

Payets Patisserie tab........................

Where's that gone?

Payets Patisserie tab........................
    Payet's British Airways account although they've not got plenty of air miles........
  • A big difference between offering 30/40m
    And paying it imo .

Just saying
  • This window maybe difficult, but if you really want a player and the selling club
    Wants x amount then pay it .

I mean we wasted 5m on Zaza 2.5 on tore
    God knows what we're paying calleri and Spanish RB , put it this it would have paid
    Hogans fee ..
  • As much as I like our owners , they are very good at telling the fans who and how much they bid for players , and how we missed out on this guy but not so good at actually signing these so called top players ..

I would much rather we didn't make public who we missed out on and rather
    who we have signed , I'm also not even bothered about big names as long as the player is wanting to give 100% like cresswell and Antonio those sort of players are
    what we need not the big name guys who only come for the money.
  • The Daves are trying to have their cake and eat it. On the one hand they are saying there's no way Dimi is going for less than £30M and on the other quibbling over a couple of million for Hogan.
  • edited January 2017

This window maybe difficult, but if you really want a player and the selling club
    Wants x amount then pay it .

I mean we wasted 5m on Zaza 2.5 on tore
    God knows what we're paying calleri and Spanish RB , put it this it would have paid
    Hogans fee ..

But that's just hindsight, saying what we spent on those players.

At the time, we needed players in those positions.

And at the same time, Hogan had a track record of playing well in League 2, then missed nearly the full season with a severe injury (including a recurrence) and managed 7 games in the Championship.

If we'd used that money to buy Hogan, rather than Zaza, Tore, Arbeloa and Calleri, we'd have had a squad of 21, including 3 strikers that have all had long term, recurrent injuries.
  • edited January 2017

As much as I like our owners , they are very good at telling the fans who and how much they bid for players ...I'm also not even bothered about big names as long as the player is wanting to give 100% like cresswell and Antonio those sort of players are
    what we need not the big name guys who only come for the money.

1. A lots of that 'how much they bid' is nonsense put about by so-called ITKs and the players' agents. The club almost never officially discloses how much was paid.

2. You say you want a player that gives 100%, but then you name players and want rid/say they were rubbish signings because they didn't work out. Even if they have given 100%. Sort it out! ;wink

3. Can you put your hand on your heart and say you've never slagged the owners off for getting players nobody has ever heard of?? Scout's honour?!
  • Poor signings we all said that at the time or some of us did , doesn't change the fact
    that we are still in this position with Zaza gone Tore out for the season Calleri not playing Ayew AFCON , so really the squad is at the same position it was before .

I hope we geta couple in so we have cover for big Andy .
  • edited January 2017

The Daves are trying to have their cake and eat it. On the one hand they are saying there's no way Dimi is going for less than £30M and on the other quibbling over a couple of million for Hogan.

How is that having your cake and eating it? ;hmm

It is not buying a player for more than they think he's worth, and not selling a player for less than they think he's worth.

• I only ever seen Zaza Play like he was bothered once , and Tore well say no more .
    Calleri was like a fish out of water when he played .

From what I've read and seen although a risk like Demba Ba was Hogan looks
    the real deal .
  • The trouble with saying that you'd rather the club didn't say who they'd bid for in case it doesn't happen is that people then complain that we should have been in for x, y, z and that the club has missed a trick by not going after someone we may well have gone after.

Also, I don't get the argument that we were bidding x 6mths ago therefore we shouldn't quibble over £2/3m. That's like saying why quibble over a sandwich that costs £4 more in a pub than in tesco because you bought an expensive baguette once. (Yes, I am eating my lunch)
  • Brentford paid 750k for Hogan 2 seasons ago and basically paid him to sit out
    for a year , we reportedly paid 10.7 m for Payet and want 30m I see no difference
    here but agree its down to what you want think a player is worth . ;ok
  • alderz ;ok I hope its not a French mustard
  • brookings

BBQ Jerk Chicken, boi
This discussion has been closed.