At Home to Crystal Palace Saturday 14th Jan 3pm Kick off - London Stadium - Bring ya gum

Comments

• What do you mean you want to see Noble back in the side for a bit of bite? He rarely tackles anymore.
  • Herb

The stats suggest he is making less tackles than last season, but if the alternative is Fernandes, then you get even less from him. Noble attempts 2 less tackles per game than last year, but that's still 2 more per game than Fernandes, and his success ratio is greater, and he commits less fouls per game, and he makes more interceptions and blocks too.
  • #statlyfe
  • I'd rather have Lanzini in there, he's not a tackler either but he is a much better dictator of tempo than Noble and gives fluency to our side

I like Nobles tenacity but you often see him flying out of midfield to close down the defenders but he never gets close and leaves huge gaps behind him
  • alderz - agree with Noble back, we've not come away with a decent result when he's left out of the starting XI this season.

Palace were a physical side under Pardew, they're not going to be any less physical under Sam so I'd stick with Oggy rather than risking Oxford at CB.
  • Champo

For me, Lanzini doesn;t offer enough in a middle two in a side that is poor defensively already. I would much prefer to see him in the front 4.

A midfield of: Noble Obiang; Antonio Payet Lanzini is what I want to see.

ASLEF ;ok

I can see why people get on Noble's back, because he hasn't really been at the races this season. But whenever he hasn't played we haven't done any better (or even played any better) than we have with him, IMO.
  • ASLEF - I find Ogbonna incredibly lightweight, so not sure he'd be best suited to a physical side.
  • Against City if it wasn't for Reid in the first 20mins it could have been 10-0.

The whole right side was terrible, it's clear that Nordvelt needs help to cover the wing as he has no pace and Fegouli had no interest in doing that.

Ogbonna seem to have little desire to bust a gut to cover, Reid does and luckly for us he was covering Ogbonna also...

Out Best MF is now in Africa.

I do like Lanzini closer to the CM, I agree that he moves the ball etc.

At this moment I don't really know what to do but BFS will have them fully committed so we can't have a soft MF.
  • Vorse

The issue with Reid covering Ogbonna is we end up with Nordtveit overly exposed (Silva's goal, for example). I think Ogbonna has been a huge liability recently and if it wasn't for Reid being excellent we would get even more pastings than we currently do.

With Lanzini, I do like him in the middle, but if that's the case he needs to be part of a three. The way we've been playing recently I think we could do with having a 3 man solid midfield tbh. In the past Slav has played Obiang - Kouyate - Noble together, and I think that sort of thing would be very useful at the moment (obviously we don't have Kouyate, but I suppose Fernandes could sub in)
  • Lukerz - ideally I'd have Collins but I doubt if he's fit enough to start. So its either Oggy, Oxford or Nordtveit with someone else at RB.

Of those three I'd stick with Oggy
  • Alderz ;ok

I think something like this maybe, allowing Lanzini and Payet to do their thing behind AC.

Randolph
    Antonio - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fernandez - Noble - Obiang
    Payet - Lanzini
    Carroll
  • I don't think Payet and Lanzini can play behind Carroll. It doesn't have the right balance.
  • Vorse ;ok

I would love to see that, tbh

Antonio isn't great at right back, but I think none of our options are, and that allows us to have far more balance in the side
  • edited January 2017
    Baffled that Slav hasn't gone back to Antonio at RB for at least a couple of games.

We lost one in 10 games he played there last season.

I think, as a RB only, I'd say KEEP him. ;hmm
  • Antonio at RB is a waste, he needs to be further forward.

As Vors says except Nordtveit at RB, Antonio up with Payet and Lanzini, Fernandes on the bench
  • That team was firing on all cylinders and we're all enjoying their football

Still think we conceded 2+ goals for something like 14 of 15 of our last games or something ridiculous like that

Maybe risk going with:

Randy
    Antonio Reid Oxford Cressy
    Nordtveit Obiang
    Feghouli Payet Lanzini
    Carroll

Would like to see Payet central for once, he started there against United and looked dangerous finding pockets between the lines which is where he can hurt teams

Would like to see Nordtveit in the middle as between him and Obiang surely the back 4 will get protection which will compensate for Antonio
  • The reason I would like Payet and Lanzini behind AC is I think they work better in tandem. So get them closer together and also take away some defensive duty.

The seven behind hopefully bringing the defensive solidity we need.

It' either Nordvleit or Fernandez, both are a case of making do, I pick Fernandez as he more pace to cover the right side as we know Antonio will get forward.
  • ;hmm have c.p signed anyone yet whats the deadline for playing against us
  • We can't continue with Nordveid and Feghouli and I fear Lanzini may be a bit lightweight against CP.
    If Byram is fit try him at RB, if not play Oxford as one of a back 3, ideally

Randolph
    Oxford Reid Ogbonna
    Antonio Noble Obiang Cresswell
    Payet
    Carroll Fletcher
  • Oxford and Byram are both risks given their injury lay-offs.

Nordtveit RCB for me.
  • edited January 2017
    This has got loss written all over it
  • Hamstew said:

;wahoo
  • This has win written all over it.
  • edited January 2017
    Hamstew said:

The Ham man is back ;ok
  • Home win.

;scarf
  • Sorry Bad feeling about this game point will do me ..

Big sam would have studied all our weaknesses and Nordviet at RB is the biggest weakness we have ..
  • Sorry Bad feeling about this game point will do me ..

Big sam would have studied all our weaknesses and Nordviet at RB is the biggest weakness we have ..

Have to agree, If we lose I think the Daves will say thanks Slav for last season but it's time for a change.........hope I'm wrong.

This discussion has been closed.