KRC Genk (home) Thursday 21st October 8pm BT Sport 2

edited October 2021 in Match Threads
Genk beat Rapid Wien 1-0 away and lost to Dinamo Zagreb 3-0 at home. They lost 2-0 away at Charleroi on Sunday, currently 6th.

Benteke, De Bruyne and Courtois started their first team careers here.

Nicknamed De Smurfen. You really don't want to see this with a head full of acid...

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Moyes will go with his usual, giving minutes to some players who need it. Something like:

Areola
    Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Rice - Noble
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic - Fornals
    Bowen

Although Masuaku could probably do with a start.
  • I reckon Moyes will save Coufal for Spurs

Areola
    Noble - Kral
    Vlasic - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Yarmolenko

If Fredericks isn't fit

Areola
    Johnson - Dawson - Diop - Masuaku
    Noble - Kral
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic- Lanzini
    Bowen

--------------------------------------------------

Genk will be without Colombian RB Daniel Munoz, red carded against Zagreb

Nigerian CF Paul Onuachu looks a bit tasty, top scorer in the Jupiler Pro League last season with 33 goals in 38 appearances

Onuachu, RW Junyo Ito (28 caps for Japan) and DM/CM Bryan Heynen were in the Pro League team of the season 20/21
  • What do we reckon the bar for qualifying out the group is ? 12 points ?
  • I think Kral tested positive for Covid after the international break, so not sure whether his 10 days will be up by then (or, indeed, whether he'll be fit).

Noble is obviously an injury concern too so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rice/Soucek pivot start, although I'd rather see Rice rested ahead of Spurs.

Vlasic could do with a start, and ideally a good performance. I know Moyes likes to blood new-to-the-league players slowly, but he needs some game time to get up to speed.

10 will qualify you, 12 will win the group, IMO.
  • Antonio played the first two so will 100% be rested, Bowen is yet to start in Europa so will get a chance, Rice is a machine & will be asking Moyes to play him. Lanzini didn’t play against Rapid so will replace Benrahma, Fornals was a sub so will possibly start too next to Rice or Soucek (unless Noble is available).

I think Cresswell may start at LB but he played both opening games so I reckon he may be rested but that will depend whether Coufal or Fredericks are available.
  • The commentator shared a stat yesterday that if we make it to the next round it will be the first time we’ve competed in Europe after Christmas in over 30 years.
  • edited October 2021
    Moyes after the Everton game (reported by football.london)

Kral tested positive for Covid-19] on Thursday so not available for Genk.

Noble has "a grumbly hip" "I'd expect Nobes with a bit of luck to be back in training maybe tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest".

Coufal "has taken an injection he had a bit of discomfort in his pubis". "He got the injury in the Man United cup game and he has been carrying it for a few weeks."

Soucek going to need stich in his lip
  • We've all said it over the past few weeks, nevertheless I'll say it again!, we actually have a squad with depth,( maybe an out & out striker short ), what a great position to be in .

Fifteen points to win the group as that is what Zagreb can get if they win all their remaining matches.

Fifteen points to win the group as that is what Zagreb can get if they win all their remaining matches.

Yeah but that would include them beating us, so actually drawing with them would be fine. So 13, but that assumes that Zagreb will win all their other games and they didn’t look good against us
  • I think Lanzini-Rice will be the only available midfield. Apart from that, as ASLEF's first choice. Time for Masuaku to make his mark on the season. 2-0. =)
  • Genk has a very young squad, only 6 players aged 26 - 28 and only two of them are regular starters. GK Maarten Vandevoordt turned 19 in February and his back ups are younger

What's Flemish for "Young Boys"?
  • Smurf I reckon.
  • We are quite a physical team and have a lot of experience and international players, we should be way too strong if fielding anywhere near a first eleven.

I would prefer to field strong and remove if we are in command rather than risk starting too weak and them getting some wind in the sails and holding us when we introduce the big guns.
  • edited October 2021
    True but I think Moyes will be thinking about the Spurs game on Sunday.

It Fredericks is fit I would go for a back 3 but if not I would stick to the back four:

Areola
    Johnson - Dawson - Diop
    Fredericks - Rice - Noble - Masuaku
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic
    Bowen

Or

Areola
    Rice - Noble
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic - Lanzini
    Bowen
  • edited October 2021
    Areola
    Johnson Zouma Diop Cresswell
    Rice Noble
    Bowen Vlasik Benrhama
    Antonio

Looking to remove Antonio for Yarmi, Bowen & Beni for lanzini and Fornals and Creswell for Masou as we assert control.

Starting the strong spine of Zouma, Rice and Antonio is key for me.
  • I think we’ll see Dawson and Diop. Dawson will continue to terrorise teams like this at attacking corners imo, he’s a lot to handle for the best defenders.
  • West Ham boss David Moyes says Tomas Soucek is available for selection after having stitches to repair an injury to his face, which he suffered in the victory at Everton.

"Tomas Soucek is okay," said Moyes.

"He's obviously been a bit sore, had a stitch and he got his lip redone the other day by another doctor.

"He's had stitches in his lip, in his cheek and above his nose as well. I think he's fine.

"There's a decision whether we rest him, but I don't think his injury is any reason not to play him.

"He wants to play tomorrow. I said to him 'look at my eyebrows Tomas - all mine are stretched after years of being a centre-half!'

"He's got a few more stitches to go before he gets to this level."

• Leicester losing against Spartak Moscow, they will have a hill to climb if they lose this fixture with 1 point from their first three matches. We were so fortunate in avoiding the bigger teams, aside from the points we have we have been able to rest players also.
  • From the pics on social media looks like Noble has trained today.
  • Now winning 4-2. Keeps the group alive especially as they have still got to go to Naples. Daka showing why we should have been quicker in trying to sign him.
  • What Moyes said about Vlasic
    "we'll use him tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do."

What Moyes said about Soucek
    "He's had his lip sutured - he got it done by a plastic surgeon yesterday"

What Moyes didn't say about Soucek but is being reported by Sky
    "West Ham midfielder needed plastic surgery on facial injury"
  • BBC saying he had it stitched after the match, then had it re-done later by a plastic surgeon. (Seems to be based closely on what Moyes said.)
  • ‘ ard as nails our Tommy.
  • Jeez, imagine if that was Grealish or Ronaldo ( yes, apparently he's back in the premier, I never heard ) they'd still be on the floor rolling.
  • If OGS continues to make a mess of his season at Man Utd they could easily end up 3rd in their group and in the Europa, at which point we would play really well against them if we met them and give it away late on. I really dislike this letting CL losers into the Europa.
  • Ole IMO is a fake manager.
    Decent player
    Clueless manager…. Love it ❤️
  • I agree, I also don't think he has the personality to control big personalities and big players. the Ronaldo signing could backfire on him personally. I think that was one of Fergusons biggest traits that he could man manage great players and big personalities. The list he managed was unreal when you consider the likes of Cantona, Keane, Beckham Etc
  • Man U top of Group F.

I think the problem Solskjaer has is there are too many big egos in the dressing room, a lot of who were signed by Mourinho or Van Gaal and he needs to lose a few.

Pogba's contract is up in the summer but they don't seem too concerned about it. Lingard (obviously), Mata and Cavani will also be out of contract. Ronaldo, Fred and Matic out of contract 2023.

The last think Man U needed was Ronaldo to add to the collection although I can't help wondering how much pressure the board put on Solskjaer to sign him for the merchandise revenue