KRC Genk (home) Thursday 21st October 8pm BT Sport 2

1235»

Comments

• We have the best record of any team in the competition, Only Lyon also have 9 points but we have 3 clean sheets. In theory we could win the group with just one more win as our head to head scores are decent and the most any other team can get is also 12 points. 4 more points guarantees first place.

Random observations

Defence did well and in the absence of Antonio it was the two centre backs who got the first two goals, I think we would struggle without Antonio and If we are going well in this tournament and the league by January I would like to think the club may throw a bit of caution to the wind and ensure we have someone else to really have a go.

I think we lack a bit of depth aside from our first eleven and I was hopeful that the likes of Lanzini, Vlasik and yarmalenko could have made more of their opportunity against weaker opposition. Chesters could have had more minutes as Lanzini was doing very little.

We appear fortunate in that two key players in Rice and Bowen appeared to be able to take games in close succession, Moyes is clearly convinced of this as rarely rests either of them.

The huge Genk centre forward was very disappointing as posed no threat and was closest to both Dawson and Diop when they scored from the set pieces, he really should have been dominant in the air and wasn't.
  • edited October 2021
    Nice to see Paolo Wanchope again. ..

...not sure Chesters ''Abraham Libcoln'' look will catch on
  • ...not sure Chesters ''Abraham Libcoln'' look will catch on

I knew there was someone he reminded me of.
  • ...not sure Chesters ''Abraham Libcoln'' look will catch on

Somebody should take him aside and have a quiet word. If he wants that authentic "Abe" look then, at the very least, think about investing in a stovepipe hat.

• Are you getting the Spurs match thread up Aslef? nearly Friday already and lots of ridicule to be sharing of our North London friends. Not sure two days is enough time for it to be fair.
  • edited October 2021
    Seems to be a bit of noise around Vlasic. I don’t think he’s set the world alight but to me he looks like a busy player who recycles the ball well, keeps it, allows us to keep moving the play along but if he doesn’t do something destructive in the box fans will start to question his purchase. I think he’s very young, spoken highly of in terms of attitude & Moyes will bed him in slowly. Fornals was similar at the start & now look where he is.

Areola was a bit 🤔 last night but I get the feeling the defence know where they stand with him. They know when that ball comes in, he’s going to be coming for it, whether he makes it or not will have no impact on the next time he comes for it. He also clearly fancies himself as a bit of a passer from the back which often leads to ropey distribution as he seems to do those chipped passes as opposed to just launching the ball up field. Half the time they ended up going straight to Genk players halfway in our half. But no doubt, next game, he’ll be trying the same.
  • Vlasic needs time and patience and that’s absolutely fine. Gone are the days where we needed signings to be immediately on it because the current team/squad was so bad.

We have time to let him get up to speed organically. I have no doubt he’ll be a real player for us.

Fornals and Benrahma took time, too. Playing in this Moyes team is demanding both going forward and in terms of defensive work rate and shape, so it’s no surprise there’s a natural period of adjustment.
  • One thing I thought when I was watching was that the defenders tried to play it out themselves. In the past I remember watching games where the ball went from the midfielders to the defencers who played triangles with whoever was in goal before the ball got hoofed upfield only to come back straight away.
    None of this yesterday. I think I remember something like 3 passes back to Areola all match. This also shows how confident the players have become that they take on responsability for the game on the ball.
  • edited October 2021
    Vlasic certainly needs time to improve because as yet he’s failed to impress.
    Areola looked suspect to me last night, but again won’t judge him on that game alone…
    They both need major improvement to get into first 11 as stands, but for sure , early days.
  • Areola's passing looked a bit dodgy but I also think that was partly to do with him not being fully engaged because he didn't really have anything to do and focus his mind. I don't think it was an indication of him having dodgy distribution.

Vlasic shows for it but I do think he doesn't try to do enough, especially in these Europa games. He's letting games pass him by like Lanzini does. Fornals and Benrahma may have also had slow starts but they were more involved, I think. This isn't to say that I don't think he'll come good, just that if he is going to he needs to be more proactive.
  • People are entitled to their opinions but having watched Vlasic live at the LS last night I believe he is a decent player and reckon David Moyes knows that as well based on his pre match comments. It took time for Fornals & Benrahma to settle in and to influence matches the way they now do. IF he still isn't showing anything towards the end of this season then I will agree with his current doubters.
  • It''s interesting that new signings now have a higher bar set to judge them by. I remember Zaza etc having similar 'I'm not sure about him' comments.. I'm pretty sure Vlasic will be better than Zaza was by the end of the season!
  • I think part of the problem is where Vlasic should play. Just not sure of his best position in the formation we play
  • For Croatia and CSKA Vlasic played on the right or centre but he can play on the left and up front.

Maybe that's Moyes's plan, have a selection of players who can play in any of the four attacking positions
  • I thought Vlasic did ok he was neat and tidy a difficult game as genk packed the defence and left little space , he is still getting used to his teammates and tends to start in games where we have made lot of changes so difficult to get that understanding of other players games . Think he will come good in time in Moyes we trust