The Jesse Lingard Derby

Sunday. Be there, or be square.

Comments

• Are we playing Birmingham? Match thread lacking in detail, as per usual.
  • No I think it’s for the cup game against Derby, Jorderz.
  • It’s amazing how we’re on our best unbeaten run in *INSERT NUMBER LATER* years and you’re still nitpicking me
  • I'll say Michael Carrick and Rio Ferdinand but not derby... Ronaldo roadshow comes to town. Utd, outside of Leeds, have not looked convincing this season and that worries me just as much as Antonios absence...
  • alderz said:

It’s amazing how we’re on our best unbeaten run in *INSERT NUMBER LATER* years and you’re still nitpicking me

Perfect example of how stats are found later to fit the argument.
  • Manchester who?
  • edited September 2021
    alderz said:

It’s amazing how we’re on our best unbeaten run in *INSERT NUMBER LATER* years and you’re still nitpicking me

Ok it wasn’t as long ago as I thought. January. It was January this year that we went 8 unbeaten.
  • Yeah, when I was doing the match threads.
  • Yeah, when I was doing the match threads.

Well, well, well. This has turned around on me, hasn’t it?
  • edited September 2021
    Not sure Vlasic did enough last night to start this one so Bowen more central less able to support Coufal in defence hence Fredericks as RWB.
    Fabianski
    Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Fredericks Soucek Rice Fornals
    Bowen Benrahma
  • Not sure Vlasic did enough last night to start this one so Bowen more central less able to support Coufal in defence hence Fredericks as RWB.
    Fabianski
    Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Fredericks Soucek Rice Fornals
    Bowen Benrahma

I'd be very surprised with this formation, tbh. I think Masuaku will come in for Antonio, but the shape will be difference.

Fabianski
    Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Coufal Soucek Rice Masuaku
    Fornals Benrahma
    Bowen
  • I really want to see Zouma in for Dawson. Dawson has been great for us but even last night you can see Zouma is a level above.
  • Thought that Diop had a decent game alongside Zouma. Maybe two French players together and no language problems.

I would really love to see Diop come back to his best and we can have a good CB pairing long term
  • I think Diop maybe replace Oggy as a starter after a few Europe games and I think Areola will take over from Fab at some point but for tomorrow I’d go (ignore formatting, I don’t wish to fight with my phone 😂)
    Fab
    Zouma Oggy Cress
    Coufal Soucek Rice Masuaku
    Fornals Benrahma
    Bowen (front three interchange as needed)
  • edited September 2021
    Yeah I think a back 5 makes sense here. Lets the front three focus more on interchanging than on width as well.
  • I can't see Arthur starting tbh. Vlasic playing more forward with Fornals dropping back a bit imo.
  • edited September 2021
    I like Brother Sledge’s selection.
    Thought Fredericks was excellent last night and as a RWB could do very well in-front of Coufal and help the defence
    IMO Vlasic perhaps was the one who didn’t really shine last night, but of course that’s my opinion and it’s very early days…
  • If we're confused, what must Sulksjar (apologies, I can't spell his name) be thinking? I'm assuming he's worried about losing big-time to the Mighty Hammers 😉
  • Part of me wants Dawson to play because it's exactly like him to absolutely smash Ronaldo early doors
  • Part of me wants Dawson to play because it's exactly like him to absolutely smash Ronaldo early doors
    ...and get sent off. 🤔
  • Or get absolutely sent by a step over
  • That's far more likely.

This has to be Zouma and Ogbonna and what a class pairing that is. Ogbonna reads the match so well and Zouma looks like he may offer the pace that Oggie lacks at times.
  • Lawro has it as 0-2 and Sky has it 2-1.
  • Coufal to knock Ronaldo into row D in the first 10 minutes
  • yoyo said:

Coufal to knock Ronaldo into row D in the first 10 minutes

No, just needs to give him the glare
  • I really want to see Zouma in for Dawson. Dawson has been great for us but even last night you can see Zouma is a level above.

If this does not happen against Utd, I believe its a clear error of judgement. Yes, I know I am not an experienced Prem League manager like Moyes, but this is an obvious upgrade/improvement to the team. The only reason for not doing it would be loyalty to Dawson IMO
  • edited September 2021
    Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Vlasic - Benrahma - Fornals
    Bowen

Areola, Dawson, Diop, Fredericks, Masuaku, Noble, Kral, Lanzini, Yarmolenko

Going to be a tricky game this. A draw would be a very good result as United have a very strong side on paper. We will miss Antonio big time. I think there is a good chance we go with a back 3 & Masuaku comes in for Vlasic.
  • I think you have to get Zouma into the side. We spent a lot of money on him & he showed what a calm presence he is on Thursday. This is a tough game against talented attacking players so, for me, Dawson now drops out for Zouma but I do feel Moyes will keep faith with Dawson. I think Moyes knows once Dawson drops out, he may not get back in, but won’t have grounds to drop him after the clean sheet last week. I personally would but not sure Moyes will.
  • We've played Man U five times under Moyes, three with three at the back (0-0, 1-3, 0-1), two with four at the back (1-1, 0-1)

Given Man U's form even before they added Ronaldo I think a back three highly likely
  • edited September 2021

We've played Man U five times under Moyes, three with three at the back (0-0, 1-3, 0-1), two with four at the back (1-1, 0-1)

Given Man U's form even before they added Ronaldo I think a back three highly likely

ASLEF, do you not mean "highly UNlikely" ?
    The results you've posted show better results with 4 at the back.