The Jesse Lingard Derby

Comments

• Moyes has a tendency to be cautious, I suspect he set up to defend and hit Man U on the counter
  • Moyes has a tendency to be cautious, I suspect he set up to defend and hit Man U on the counter

I’d be really surprised if we didn’t play a back 5, personally. I think it will be Masuaku in for Antonio.
  • Moyes quote - 'You can see that Arthur Masuaku [a late substitute in the second half] has got a bit to go regarding getting back his sharpness, but we’re trying to bring him back and get him as ready as we can.
    Is he completely ready? Probably not, but he’s on the way to getting ready.'

That would be a very risky start after saying that.
  • edited September 2021
    alderz said:

Moyes has a tendency to be cautious, I suspect he set up to defend and hit Man U on the counter

I’d be really surprised if we didn’t play a back 5, personally. I think it will be Masuaku in for Antonio.</blockquote

Agree about back five, but not sure he’ll play Masuaku. Vlasic or Benrahma?
  • I've noticed that Moyes has done this before, suggests that a player is probably not ready, and then they start. Just wants to keep the other manager guessing perhaps?
  • I think we have a new challenge this year because clubs really respect us and fewer clubs are coming onto us allowing our counter attacking style. The new challenge is how to keep probing and carve out chances against lowly sides like Spurs, however the top sides such as Man United will still come at us meaning we could actually get more chances than we had against Southampton, sadly without Antonio will we be able to take them.

• If he’s said that, then I reckon he’ll bring Fredericks in at LWB
  • There is only one derby and that’s young franks
  • Fab
    Coufal Ogbonna Zouma cresswell
    Rice Soucek
    Benrhama Fornells Vlasik
    Bowen

We will miss Antonio sadly but those four attackers will still cause problems.My fear is that Moyes will show too much respect as he did each time last season against them and then one goal picks us off and we don't get back into it. I think if we could take three points our confidence would rocket after midweek, we would really feel we need fear no one now.

• edited September 2021
    I don't think we'll set up with 4 forward players for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it reduces our options from the bench, and secondly Moyes often sets us up more defensively against better sides.

If Masuaku is fit then I can see alderz's team of:

Fabianski
    Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Coufal Soucek Rice Masuaku
    Fornals Benrahma
    Bowen

An alternative that I don't think has been mentioned is to bring an extra midfielder in:

Fabianski
    Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Soucek Rice Kral
    Fornals Benrahma
    Bowen

Zouma definitely comes in either way imo.

Matchday COYI
  • Moyes’ comments about Benrahma’s knock suggests to me it’s a chance to leave him out the side, so I think we may see that.

I just hope we learn from last season. We showed too much respect at times to the ‘original elite’. We played Man Utd off the park though last year for an hour before a contentious ‘out’ call cost us & we had a few minutes of madness.

Don’t be scared of them.
  • Thought this was interesting on Sky’s match interview with Moyes:

• I reckon he runs a back 5

Fabianski

Coufal Zouma Dawson Ogbonna Cresswell

Rice Soucek

Fornals Vlasic

Bowen
  • Fabianski
    Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Coufal - Rice - Soucek - Fornals - Masuaku
    Vlasic - Bowen
  • I agree with Yeold if he plays 3/5 at the back then he brings in a CB not a WB but I would still prefer 4-4-2 as posted earlier. If Benrahma is kept out then it's a toss up between Lanzini and Vlasic for me
  • edited September 2021
    So far Solskjaer has tried five different central midfield combinations. I don't think he's rotating the squad, rather he can't find a combination that works the way he wants.

Leeds - Fred & McTominay
    Saints - Matic & Fred
    Wolves - Pogba & Fred
    Newcastle - Pogba & Matic
    Young Boys - Fred & van der Beek

McTominay is still recovering from groin surgery he had in the summer, has a late fitness test

Man U's weak spot?
  • My Man U supporting golf buddy is always moaning about Fred - he can't understand why Solskjaer keeps playing him.
  • I don't think Man Utd have played particularly well in any games this season. I just hope we get at them and don't show them too much respect.

We have every chance of winning this.
  • Ronaldo has that X Factor, can't see anything other than a Man U win. Feels like they are starting to click as a team would not be surprised if they were to go on a 12-15 game unbeaten run.
  • Really? We've been watching a very different Man Utd this season, then.

They were very shaky, bordering on poor, against Southampton and Wolves, and absolutely dreadful against Young Boys. Even Newcastle were giving them a tough game before they imploded.
  • I agree with Lukerz line up. Several commentators have said that Man U don't play well as a team but rely on moments of brilliance from individuals. Looking forward to it.
  • Pogba and McTominay it is then
  • Game to be won here so let's go do it.

COYI
  • Zouma starts, as do all our #ballers. Excited.
  • Surprised but happy with the line up

Glad zouma is starting and we are going to take the game to them

I assume Fornals will be dropping to LWB when we don't have the ball as he'd been doing recently
  • We look strong. But my goodness so does their line-up
  • If we are going to win the prem ,We need to win games like this =)
  • Sky coverage manu then let’s talk about spuds chavs we will get a mention no doubt 5 mins before KO
  • Michael Owen reckons Ole has gone for 2 sitting midfielders out of respect to our quality...COYI
  • Should be plenty of chances - just hope we can take more than them

Come on you Irons