The Jesse Lingard Derby

14567810»

Comments

• I think the idea put up earlier may be our best hope, see where we are in January and if we are still in the Europa and doing ok in the league it may be worth an investment If the right player can be found. Lingard may be available as if he doesn't sign a new contract it will be their last chance to get a fee. He himself may want to just see it out however.
  • edited September 2021
    From what Moyes has said since, OGS was adamant that he didn't want to let Lingard go, so the option was never on the table (short of a ridiculous bid).

If reports that Lingard has turned down a new deal at Old Trafford are true, then we could go for him again in January at a much reduced price; this may have been in Moyes and Lingard's thinking all along, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us try again in a few months.

That said, Vlasic's arrival makes the deal less likely, IMO. We currently have Benrahma, Vlasic, Fornals and Bowen as AM options. I don't think I'd want to see Lingard joining as a fifth AM option ahead of a striker, a position where we only have one option. A striker and Lingard, sure, but I don't think we'll see that much business unless we're struggling near the bottom of the table.
  • It’s really early days and I have nothing to base my reasoning on apart from a niggling feeling that Vlasic is not gonna work out for us…

I hope this is of course incorrect and it is more to do with the rather spicy 🌶 food I had last night…

Time will tell…..⚒️
  • Moyes has already stated that he is waiting for the right player so I don't see any interim signings.