The Jesse Lingard Derby

Comments

• I can't help wondering whether Moyes wanted Noble to take the penalty for sentimental reasons. One more goal and Noble would have equaled Paolo Di Canio's tally of 47. Noble,a fabulous servant of the Club, isn't going to get many more chances to do that.
  • I watched the game late due to work. Ronaldo should've been sent off for simulation. Even if it was 2 yellow cards as he did it more than once. He's a cancer to the sport has been since he started playing, people like him have no place in the premier league. I was glad when he left and hated to see him come back... horrible decision by moyes to put Noble on the spot kick, so many others I'd have put up before him considering he hadn't even touched the ball.
  • I will become clear but that sort of moment can cause problems to a team that is so together. Moyes just said I don't think any of you lot can take a penalty. As he got it wrong however they may lose a little trust in him. I would imagine the experience of Moyes and Noble will get it right and put any fires out but it's an issue. I imagine Moyes held his hands up in the dressing room.
  • edited September 2021
    .Losing in that manner makes it so hard but I am not sure we actually deserved a point. This is a much better Man U team than the past 5 seasons and not many teams will give them as tough a game as we did..
    Moyes's substitutions were brave but wrong. Protect the point and put on an extra CB and/ or Noble or Kral. Without Antonio we had nobody to hold the ball up and they kept regaining possession. So just admit this, bring on 2 more defensive suited players and try to keep a point. So often Moyes has been too late or too conservative with his subs but weirdly today he was too attacking just by swapping like for like players.
    Before the match so many were praying for a win but hoping for a point. In the end we lost a very tight game against a very good team. So a drama-filled 1-2 loss is actually OK for me.
  • Totally disagree with your interpretation/spin on events.
  • .... and did anyone else see the BBC heat map for Noble, with one yellow dot on the penalty spot.
  • Leaving aside the fact that Noble wasn't warmed up and not in the least ready to take the penalty, the odd thing was the penalty kick itself.
    From memory, he normally approaches from a straighter run up and most often goes for power to the upper left hand side of the goal (right of GK), whereas today was the weakest effort I can remember with the angle of his run up virtually telling De Gea where the ball was likely to go, and made worse by him sidefooting the ball.

• I don't think there will be any issue with team morale I think they will rally round Noble as he is an important part of the dressing room/team even if he does n't play much. Team spirit is a much as how you deal with losing as winning if anything it may bring the team closer together .
  • We didn't get played off the park and that was with missing Antonio. The performance wasn't bad overall but it wasn't up to par of expectations i imagine of many people including Moyes but it wasn't as if Man U battered us.

We were second best overall and probably didn't deserve a point anyway had the penalty gone in. There was some really bad refereeing decisions throughout the whole match and arguably on another night Man U could have had a pen.

Not too fussed overall that we didn't come away with a point. Miffed that Moyes subbed on Noble to take a pen without having a kick of the ball, its a carbon copy of England v Italy and everyone saw on the final of the world stage how that went.

Onto the next one. But we need to start picking up points again. Draws to Southampton and Palace. There will be tougher tests and if Moyes wants to challenge and compete for a Champions League place he will need to start bagging those points.
  • Yeold, regarding picking up points again, I'd been thinking, before yesterday's game, that as we started with two wins followed by two draws we were probably due two defeats - WWDDLL. Just one to go then ;)
  • On the plus side we have played two of last seasons top 5 (Leicester/Man Utd) already at home and I think results overall are comparable with last season against the same teams so far this season we got extra points in some dropped some in others but we have been competitive in every game I can't remember the last truely terrible performance that we used to turn in under Pellegrini and Bilic .
  • Onto the next one. But we need to start picking up points again. Draws to Southampton and Palace. There will be tougher tests and if Moyes wants to challenge and compete for a Champions League place he will need to start bagging those points.

I was thinking this yesterday. No win in three now, including games against Palace and Southampton. We've also dropped four points from a winning position in those games. Nothing to be overly concerned about, but if we want to compete at the top again, we need to be more ruthless, particularly against the likes of Palace and Southampton.

Leeds away will be a good test of where we are. They're without a win and not playing so well by all accounts, so it's an opportunity for us to back to winning ways, but it's also an opportunity for us to pull a West Ham and give them their first three points of the season.
  • Yarmolenko takes penalties for Ukraine

If Rice is going to be a proper captain he needs to stand back and let someone with more experience take penalties
  • I see the negative thoughts have started to creep back in, didn't take long.
    Southampton have only lost once this season and just drew at City. Not a bad point for us all considered.
  • From the BBC:

Did you know? Lingard became the 47th player to score for and against West Ham in the Premier League. Excluding own goals, West Ham have had more players score for and against them than any other side in the competition.

I hate this stat!
  • edited September 2021
    I must be in a minority of one but I do not blame Moyes for bringing Noble on for the penalty. If he had been on the pitch he would have taken it and Moyes had the opportunity to get him on. I don't agree that he was too cold to take one kick at the ball. He has spent 6 days out of 7 for the past 20 years kicking a football. He has an excellent record at penalty taking, there was really no reason for him to miss rather than any of the other players. You wouldn't usually bring on a sub to take a penalty but is was going to be the last kick of the game, so why not get your most trusted penalty taker to take it. If he had scored Moyes would be praised.
  • edited September 2021

Yarmolenko takes penalties for Ukraine

If Rice is going to be a proper captain he needs to stand back and let someone with more experience take penalties

I agree with the second part, but we need to establish a regular penalty taker who is likely to be on the pitch most of the time which, hopefully, won't usually include Yarmalenko.

Rice certainly doesn't inspire confidence in me when he takes them, neither does Antonio. I wonder if Fornals might be an option, Cresswell and Bowen take a lot of our deadballs so they should be in contention, as should Soucek and Benrahma. Basically this is something that they really need to be working on so there isn't a desperation substitution for someone to come on and take it.
  • I personally don’t know where all the doubt over Rice came from. He scored one then missed one. If Lingard hadn’t been buzzing around trying to take them I’m not even sure he would’ve been moved off. How many people are we going to try before we settle?
  • I'd have taken 8 points from 15 that included Untied, Leicester plus two teams that we've had a few issues with in Palace and Newcastle

Zouma starting is massive, he's a huge improvement and obviously Antonio missing was huge

Plus we have won our first and arguably hardest Europa game

Yesterday was hard to take but I'm very happy with the season so far
  • edited September 2021
    We've had this conversation before. Soucek and Benrahma have good penalty records, Vlasic not so much. All data from Transfermarkt.

NOTE: I added in Fornals because I've seen him suggested, but he's never taken a penalty. Cresswell missed one against Carlisle United in January 2011. Vlasic takes them, but less then 2/3s scored isn't great. Benrahma is the only player in our squad with a 100% record.
  • edited September 2021
    From that Benrhama, Yarmalenko or Soucek should have taken it.

I think we all know we would have been in our element and loving it if Noble had scored, a bit of an Adrian moment with his gloves, however he didn't and I think the thing that gets most is that Southgate found out the risks with such a strategy in a Euro final, and that alone should have made Moyes make a different call.

Or let Harry Maguire take it yesterday.... his penalty was the best of our Euro final takers, and he is a centre half!
  • As someone said elsewhere David Moyes is a true Scot so didn't watch the Euro Final.
  • Benrahma's penalties were in the Championship and Ligue 2

Soucek has scored penalties against Inter Milan in the Champions League and Sevilla in the Europa

Either of those two should get the nod of Rice until he gets a bit more practise
  • Not sure how Rice gets practice if he's not taking them! But yes, I've always been surprised that Soucek hasn't ever been tried for us. He's a really good finisher, and has a good record from the spot.
  • alderz said:

From the BBC:

Did you know? Lingard became the 47th player to score for and against West Ham in the Premier League. Excluding own goals, West Ham have had more players score for and against them than any other side in the competition.

I hate this stat!

Didn't know that, but nice of you to share that with us Alderz :(
  • Cheers Alderz, just got over hating the loss only to now start hating a stat!
  • I hear the comments that Noble is a vey experienced professional with a strong penalty record and could be expected to score and of course that is all true, however, the margins in elite sport are very narrow and the extra pressure put upon Nobes was frankly unfair.

We will never know, but i strongly suspect that his penalty record would be nowhere as strong if all his prior attempts were under similar circumstances.

It is simply a different proposition when you have not had the chance to get warmed up and mentally prepared for active participation in the game itself.

In the NFL, they have “special teams” where a specified kicker comes on when required, but even there, up until the moment they come on they constantly practice and practice that single discipline.

Of course, Noble should have scored and anyone else could have missed, but in my mind it will remain a singularly stupid decision to have made.

• I seem to recall Lanzini scoring penalties in the past. 🤔

• Great decision by Atkinson and VAR. A definite dive. Must admit from where I was it looked lie a pen but well done the officials. 👏👏
  • IronHerb said:

I seem to recall Lanzini scoring penalties in the past. 🤔

But he's sadly not on the pitch to start matches, so to do a Moyes muck up as yesterday and bring on a player just for a pen, then it has to be Noble then...

IMO we need a new regular penalty taker who is ususally on the pitch for most matches.