Euro 2020 (2021)

Provisional 33 man squad announced. Rice and Lingard included. 👏👏

Dier not included. 😂

Comments

• If you include Lingard, we have more players in that squad than Spurs

Once Kane has left Spurs, Sheff Utd and Brighton will have too.
  • Lingard will be in as a ManU player, unless we snap him up quick.
  • Maybe it's an unconscious bias thing, but I'd have found a place for Antonio. I know he can be so frustrating, but as a wildcard option he could cause teams some problems from the bench. Same reason I think Andy Carroll should have made more squads in the past.

But I think that's a strong squad. Not the best defensively, but in midfield and in particular the final third, we have a lot of good options.
  • I thought Ings would be given a chance to shine.
  • OCS

I think it is an unconscious bias thing. 😍
  • Apparently we are not too far away from signing Sam Johnston. So that could be another one.
  • Antonio has thrown his hat in with Jamaica I think. It worries me as of all the players we don't want playing more matches it's Antonio.
  • Maybe it's an unconscious bias thing, but I'd have found a place for Antonio. I know he can be so frustrating, but as a wildcard option he could cause teams some problems from the bench. Same reason I think Andy Carroll should have made more squads in the past.

But I think that's a strong squad. Not the best defensively, but in midfield and in particular the final third, we have a lot of good options.

Although I agree with your comments, just two words of caution- Dean Ashton.

• edited June 2021
    Somebody pointed out yesterday that if we win Group D we face the runner up from Group F (aka Group of Death) in the Round of 16 which will be either France, Germany or Portugal.

Lummey...
  • edited June 2021
    So who should the 7 squad players omitted from the Euros?

I'd dump 2 Goalkeepers to make it easier. However, if I have to only get rid of one, the following are my 7 for the chop:

Johnstone
    Trippier
    Mings
    Godfrey (or White - Maybe Maguire if hes not up to it fitness wise)
    JWP (Henderson perhaps as hes injury prone and hasnt played in ages
    Saka
    DCL (prefer Watkins and Rashford central if Kane crocked)

Henderson
    James - Walker - Maguire - Stones - Shaw
    Foden - Bellingham - Rice - Grealish
    Kane

(tinkered with this a lot, originally had Rashford and Sancho in it up top with Kane and decided just Kane as opposed to 4-3-3. Tempted by TAA and Mount too. Still tempted to bin off Walker and put another person in further forward. We have a lot of forward options/sub that could come in)
  • Greenwood has pulled out to make Southgate's decision a little easier.
  • No Lingard, apparently
  • Baz suffering FF withdrawal :p :)
  • Lukerz said:

No Lingard, apparently

Will his 'rejection' help or hinder our chances of signing him?

• MrsGrey said:

Lukerz said:

No Lingard, apparently

Will his 'rejection' help or hinder our chances of signing him?

Could go either way, I guess. He may think he needs to play at a higher level than we can offer (i.e. CL) to get back into the squad, or he may think that playing week in week out, which he'll probably do for us, will benefit his future call-up chances.

In terms of us negotiating a price, it may help as if he had a great tournament we could have been priced out of a move.
  • Lingard wouldn't even be in contention if it wasn't for us in the first place.
  • edited June 2021
    Lukerz said:

No Lingard, apparently

If true, bit unfair to make him continue training right now....

Unless he's on the reserve list, but still....
  • Baz - re Keepers, I believe it’s a rule that three of the squad are goalkeepers
  • Walker's played in goal before, cant we register him as one? OK, fine ;-/
  • Think it’s totally fair that Lingard didn’t make it considering he couldn’t keep his form up - for whatever reason. Happy Bellingham seems to have got through. He’s been really good all season and I think he’s the perfect partner for Rice going forward.
  • Think it’s totally fair that Lingard didn’t make it considering he couldn’t keep his form up - for whatever reason. Happy Bellingham seems to have got through. He’s been really good all season and I think he’s the perfect partner for Rice going forward.

I would argue that he's in better form than Sterling though, and I've no doubt he'll be going. Not sure Rashford is that deserving, either.
  • Sure but they’ve been good for longer periods.
  • Sure but they’ve been good for longer periods.

I don't disagree, but Southgate has always made the claim about picking players in form. Lingard's recent form is better than Sterling's and Rashford's, so by the manager's own criteria Jesse should go ahead of the other two.

I know it's not quite as black and white as that, but club bias aside, Lingard has been better than Sterling over the last six months.
  • edited June 2021
    Southgate says that, but his actions belie his words. Always have done since he took over the England job.

Jordan Henderson?
  • TAA in, according to Sky.

Four right backs in the squad as it stands...
  • You can’t pick everyone on form though, there has to be some consistency. He’s dropped TAA when he wasn’t playing well and brought in James. He brought Lingard in when he was doing well and has now dropped him when he couldn’t prove that he could extend the form - which he’s onto produced once before in his career. Bellingham despite being very young has got in based on fantastic form.

I think he has picked players on form (though think Konsa and Tomori are unlucky) but he also expects that form to be good and long enough to be worth taking out players who have done well in the past. You have to stake your claim to be a long term part of the squad, not just a face to show up for one or two international breaks
  • edited June 2021

TAA in, according to Sky.

Four right backs in the squad as it stands...

At Lingard's expense, so the rumours go.
  • I think Sterling goes, but i hope Southgate doesn't start him. The front 3 should 100% be Kane / Foden / Sancho. With the 3 behind as Mount / Rice / (Henderson maybe)
  • MrsGrey said:

Southgate says that, but his actions belie his words. Always have done since he took over the England job.

Jordan Henderson?

I think it's the right decision to take Henderson. If it was a 23 man squad then maybe not, but in a 26 I'd have him there just for the leadership he brings to the dressing room. He's very well respected by the other players and even if he doesn't play a minute he'll be a real help to the atmosphere.
  • edited June 2021

You can’t pick everyone on form though, there has to be some consistency. He’s dropped TAA when he wasn’t playing well and brought in James. He brought Lingard in when he was doing well and has now dropped him when he couldn’t prove that he could extend the form - which he’s onto produced once before in his career. Bellingham despite being very young has got in based on fantastic form.

I think he has picked players on form (though think Konsa and Tomori are unlucky) but he also expects that form to be good and long enough to be worth taking out players who have done well in the past. You have to stake your claim to be a long term part of the squad, not just a face to show up for one or two international breaks

But again, Lingard could fall into that criteria. When he was playing for Man U he was regularly in Southgate's squads and generally did well. Obviously he fell out of favour when he wasn't playing, but when he came to West Ham and got games and performed, he got back in.

This isn't just me banging the drum for Lingard, by the way; I accept that his form for us dipped, but that was from a ridiculously exceptional start. It's more that I find Southgate to be a bit of a hypocrite.