Euro 2020 (2021)

Comments

• Amazing he’s included TAA as an option in midfield, whilst leaving Lingard out. Clearly just couldn’t hold his nerve due to the scrutiny this week on whether it www right to leave TAA out.
  • You can’t pick everyone on form though, there has to be some consistency. He’s dropped TAA when he wasn’t playing well and brought in James. He brought Lingard in when he was doing well and has now dropped him when he couldn’t prove that he could extend the form - which he’s onto produced once before in his career. Bellingham despite being very young has got in based on fantastic form.

I think he has picked players on form (though think Konsa and Tomori are unlucky) but he also expects that form to be good and long enough to be worth taking out players who have done well in the past. You have to stake your claim to be a long term part of the squad, not just a face to show up for one or two international breaks

But again, Lingard could fall into that criteria. When he was playing for Man U he was regularly in Southgate's squads and generally did well. Obviously he fell out of favour when he wasn't playing, but when he came to West Ham and got games and performed, he got back in.

This isn't just me banging the drum for Lingard, by the way; I accept that his form for us dipped, but that was from a ridiculously exceptional start. It's more that I find Southgate to be a bit of a hypocrite.
    Sure, I’m not anti Lingard being in the team either, I thought he’d still go.

I think when Southgate was appointed Lingard was going through his other good spell of his career, so could still be argued it was form, plus a bit of continuity until he was displaced by all the talent that came through (Sancho, Foden, Grealish etc).

I don’t think Sterling or Rashford deserve to start but I guess they’re the experience now and their pace can make a difference. Probably only one of them should’ve gone.

I think it’s the defenders who got the worst end of this. Southgate has stuck with defenders who had good form last season rather than this one.
  • Apart from centre backs i think it’s a pretty strong squad
    Plenty of attacking #ballers
  • Everyone axed from the final squad has been from outside the “top 6” (if you consider Lingard to be West Ham)
  • I don’t know why he thinks Sterling is worth a place. His form for months has been poor and Saturday he was a liability. He could never find anybody with his passes and has little control of the ball on one occasion he was played in beyond James but not only did he outpace him but he outpaced the ball and had to try to drag it from behind him, something he frequently does.

Are we judging Lingard’s “dip in form” because he stopped scoring every game because he still to my mind was playing well.
  • I think Lingard was pretty anonymous in the last few games of the season, it wasn’t just the goals that dried up, IMO. That said, I don’t think both Sterling and Rashford should be in, I don’t know why Phillips is ahead of Ward-Prowse.
  • Sadly I couldn't care a less....

We have a bang average manager who chooses 10 defenders....It's all about the money....or big teams....

Each to their own, and fair enough... but I will not lose any sleep worrying about England national football team...

Good luck, especially to Declan, but really....not excited by it all....
  • I don’t know why he thinks Sterling is worth a place. His form for months has been poor and Saturday he was a liability. He could never find anybody with his passes and has little control of the ball on one occasion he was played in beyond James but not only did he outpace him but he outpaced the ball and had to try to drag it from behind him, something he frequently does.

Are we judging Lingard’s “dip in form” because he stopped scoring every game because he still to my mind was playing well.

I personally don’t think Lingard offered much to our team once the goals dried up. He still scurried about but couldn’t help us break through defences. He was a nuisance all over the pitch before that.

Still, I think Lingard is the only player dropped who had a real chance of challenging the team and maybe should’ve gone instead of Sterling based on this season but that would be a really big call.

It feels like he’s going with a back 5 based on the number of defenders, which I’m not looking forward to.

I really want to see Rice with Bellingham playing the Soucek role.
  • Four right backs in the squad. Is that really necessary?
  • Think Walker is there more of a right sided centre back of three
    Think his form towards the end merits his place
    And probs is the only one that can hold his head high for citeh from the champs league final
  • Walker and James I understand, but I'd have expected TAA or Trippier to miss out and another midfielder included.

Sterling and Rashford can consider themselves very fortunate, IMO.
  • Also some reports that Lingard is going to start against Austria tomorrow 🤔 Suggests to me that there's some injury concerns in the 26 that Southgate has chosen.
  • Sterling, Mount and Foden aren't with the squad so a little light in midfield.
  • Not sure I'd be happy with that if I were Lingard. Basically Southgate saying, 'I don't think you're good enough but do me a favour and make up the numbers'.
  • 'Do me a favour' and play for England?
  • alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

Southgate says that, but his actions belie his words. Always have done since he took over the England job.

Jordan Henderson?

I think it's the right decision to take Henderson. If it was a 23 man squad then maybe not, but in a 26 I'd have him there just for the leadership he brings to the dressing room. He's very well respected by the other players and even if he doesn't play a minute he'll be a real help to the atmosphere.
    I don't disagree .. I was using it to illustrate that Southgate doesn't make 'form' his defining criteria.

I'm sure here are many reasons why you'd take a player who, by the time the competition starts, won't have played a minute of competitive football for the best part of 4 months....
  • IronHerb said:

'Do me a favour' and play for England?

Is probably more how he worded it, but the principal is the same. 'Play in this warm-up game for a tournament that I don't think you're good enough for' is the message that I take from it, and I personally don't think that shows a lot of respect to Lingard.

But hey, we shouldn't let this distract from Rice's achievements in making the squad. I know it was expected, but he's there on merit and the squad number allocation suggests he's an integral part of the team now.
  • Given that Henderson has barely played in months, Southgate should be hoping nothing happens to Deccers in terms of injury.
  • Missing another central midfield player in that squad. A bit unbalanced
  • edited June 2021
    Lingard and two others were told they could go home if they wanted but said they wanted to stay, so they are playing tomorrow .

I think it’s the weakest position. You have Rice who is amazing and then Henderson who’s a bit up and down in my opinion and just boring to play alongside Rice, especially if you go with a back 5. Phillips is good but I see him more as tackle and pass (maybe haven’t watched enough. . Mount kind of a CM but more attacking. I think Ward-Prowse isn’t international quality.

Bellingham is the only really quality CM, I think, and he’s still very young. Maybe if Delle Alli returns to form he can fit in but he’s more like Mount.

But I also think the lack of CMs is another sign it might be a back 5. He’ll mostly only use two.
  • I'm not sure Alli is going to return to form in 12 days though hahaha

I think it’s the weakest position. You have Rice who is amazing and then Henderson who’s a bit up and down in my opinion and just boring to play alongside Rice, especially if you go with a back 5. Phillips is good but I see him more as tackle and pass (maybe haven’t watched enough. . Mount kind of a CM but more attacking. I think Ward-Prowse isn’t international quality.

Bellingham is the only really quality CM, I think, and he’s still very young. Maybe if Delle Alli returns to form he can fit in but he’s more like Mount.

But I also think the lack of CMs is another sign it might be a back 5. He’ll mostly only use two.
    I disagree about Henderson, I think he’s quality, personally. But the rest I agree with. I like Ward-Prowse but the fact I’m disappointed he’s not included isn’t because he’s brilliant, but rather that there are few other options. I don’t rate Phillips at all.

Bellingham looks like he’s going to be some player, and already is a very good option, but it’s a lot to rely on someone that young, I think.

With this squad, I think a 3-4-3 is the way to go, with Rice and Mount in the middle. Having three CBs gives the extra defensive assurance that you lose from having Mount as the second CM
  • Yeah I think Henderson is good but not as good as Rice, which may be bias.

Agree about 3-4-3 with the right players. Can’t be Rice and Henderson. I also don’t think it can be James or Trippier and Chilwell (assuming Walker is going to be RCB). They’re just a bit too mechanical for me, up and down in straight lines. They’re good at it but you end up with a predictable side, I think. If Chilwell at LB then I think it has to be TAA at RWB. But I’m not personally sure TWB is going to be a good RWB. So I’d prefer James and then Saka at LWB, which is a risk but I think he’s a really good, mature player for his age and will make that left side more unpredictable.
  • For me, I think both Foden and Grealish are exceptional (in terms of ability to influence a game, skill level, ability to carry a team forward etc. Rashford is easily marked out of a game (but I like him still) and Sterling seems headless in comparison to Foden/Grealish. Sancho is also dangerous but again I'd rather have Foden/Grealish attacking. Kane up front no brainer. Despite his age, Bellingham too is in first 11. So I tried to work from there. I think Shaw is better going forward than Chilwell. Even though I love TAA, James seems a little better defensively and obviously both are excellent crossing wise. Stones is our classiest defender and has shown plenty of strength to reestablish himself this season. At the moment, for me, its a case of the following and fill the gaps according to formation...

James Stones Shaw
    Foden Bellingham Grealish
    Kane
  • I don't actually rate Southgate at all and don't even think he would get a job in the Premiership or likely even the championship. I think he is perfect for the FA as squeaky clean and interviews well, much needed after the Big Sam debacle.

Regard Lingard I think he has made a mistake. I don't imagine he would have got much pitch time but he is exactly the type of player you want on the bench if needing make something happen with 20 minutes to go. He will carry the ball forward and go direct to goal and can finish.

I think we could have a good tournament and the biggest threat to it is probably Southgate. At national level the players are as elite as you have at your disposal and know what they are doing, so there isn't really too much coaching going on, but tactically we need a manager who will let them play, I fear Southgate is going to be too defensive and boring. He should work on doing as little damage as possible so just pick a creative and attacking line up and send them out there to play their usual game and I believe they will do the rest.
  • Whatever he does, Southgate will be blamed when we lose. It's the English way. That's what Sarawakians reckon. I couldn't find an answer to that, so went with the "we'll win it!" argument...
  • Our attacking midfield/forward options are excellent. I am sure we will score enough to get out of the group. Defensively, we look weaker. I guess this is why Southgate is likely to play three at CB and two holding midfield players (Rice plus 1) to keep things tight.
    Personally I would much prefer a flat back 4 and go for it, but his selection of Walker plus 3 more right backs suggests otherwise.
    I actually think England have a real chance in this tournament.
  • Imo if we have any chance of winning it will depend on Maguire. Some people may not rate him but both England and Man U look a different team without him.
  • I'm sure I read that Maguire hasn't actually joined up with the squad. He's still in MCR having treatment for his injury.