Euro 2020 (2021)

Comments

• I'm not sure DCL is really good enough.
  • sad but sorted out why we have 4 right backs
  • Hamstew said:

I'm not sure DCL is really good enough.

I think he’s quality, personally
  • Yeah just my opinion. I feel like he had a really good spell at Everton then didn't really do much. I obviously don't watch too much of Everton though.
  • ITV going Grealish mad for the goal, the pass was from Lingard
  • Hamstew said:

Yeah just my opinion. I feel like he had a really good spell at Everton then didn't really do much. I obviously don't watch too much of Everton though.

I think that might’ve been because he was coached into being a pure finisher but then they stopped creating chances for him.
  • Hamstew said:

Yeah just my opinion. I feel like he had a really good spell at Everton then didn't really do much. I obviously don't watch too much of Everton though.

I think that might’ve been because he was coached into being a pure finisher but then they stopped creating chances for him.
    Yeah I know what you're saying. Maybe I'm being harsh just saying what I see.
  • ITV going Grealish mad for the goal, the pass was from Lingard

Yep Grealish didn't even touch it did he?
  • Hamstew, but he was on the pitch when the goal was scored so he deserves great credit. 😉
  • edited June 2021
    The BBC have gone one step further 😄

• Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

Yeah I know what you're saying. Maybe I'm being harsh just saying what I see.
    Maybe you should be on Catchphrase 😁
  • At least we now know why Southgate selected 4 RBs, he's expecting them to get injured...
  • Yep there's plenty of Grealish hype. But, for me, he should be a cert starter for us
  • So from what we knew before and the post-game comments from Southgate last night, there were injury concerns over Henderson, Maguire, Grealish and Phillips before the squad was announced. Plus Rice has missed some training ahead of the game, which suggests he's not 100% either.

I know that's always possible after a long season, but it feels like quite a risk to name four, possibly five, players that are carrying an injury in a tournament squad. Henderson in particular; he's been out since February and was still feeling discomfort as of yesterday morning.

Would it have been more sensible to pick a fully-fit Lingard, Godfrey and Ward-Prowse over three of those four?
  • I personally dont see the point of the friendly so close to a tournament especially when a good percentage of the squad were being rested. The team was always going to be unrecognizable to the one that'll start the games off. What was there to gain? All the players (outside Henderson etc who've been injured) are coming off a full season which was out of the ordinary anyway. Working on formations in training and nursing/protecting those that arent fully fit seems more sensible. We basically got a TAA injury for it
  • I think the point of a friendly like this is to play your preferred team and formation so the players can have a competitive game with the preferred line-up ahead of the tournament.

Unfortunately Southgate didn't (couldn't) pick either.

I think the Croatia game will see England go to a back three with at least five players that didn't start last night.

So yeah, last night was a bit pointless, IMO.
  • I guess the friendly was arranged before anyone knew that 3 of our English teams would be in a final a few days before.
  • So what's to say TAA would not have picked up that injury in the first group game? At least he can be replaced, if necessary, by someone who is not a RB. 😬
  • I guess it would’ve been about 10 days more rest but of course he could’ve been injured any game or in training.

Hopefully it is a non right back who replaces him! Lingard at the front though actually there are only two strikers so maybe Watkins has a shout?
  • Southgate was talking up players' versatility when he picked his four right backs, so Lingard, who can play CM, AM and ST (according to Moyes at least) should be at the head of the queue, you'd think.
  • A lot of pundits seem to think that with Henderson also a doubt it'll be Ward-Prowse as he's played CM for the last two seasons
  • I see that Yarmo, having drawn a huge wage to sit out and make very little contribution to West Ham’s cause this season, is now up and running and playing for his country
  • That's be because he was selected to do so.
  • edited June 2021
    It was Moyes's decision, I'm sure Yarmo would have been happier playing than sitting on the bench,
  • I see that Yarmo, having drawn a huge wage to sit out and make very little contribution to West Ham’s cause this season, is now up and running and playing for his country

Yarmo be there...
  • Wasn't he injured for quite a bit ?
  • Pick a month and it'll probably be a yes ;)
  • Hopefully he scores a few goals and we can sell him
  • I really enjoyed his last minute winner against Chelsea..
  • Yarmo got Covid while away on international duty in November, missed four games

Injured against Man U in the cup 9 February, knee ligament, was out for 2 months

In total he missed 13 Premier League games through injury/illness/lack of fitness, started once (Saints away, 0-0, 29 Dec), came on as a substitute 14 times, unused 10. He started all six Cup games.