TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• But Jorderz irrelevant of were we or not, IMO most fans would agree it's an area that needed addressing ...
    While yet another transfer window goes and nothing in that area.
  • Dunno - could be Fake News or something ??
  • Are you ready to let Shelvey out now?

No...
  • Whether it was dendocker or not moyes said even at the beginning of the window they had a number of bids in for players, safe ti assume that a couple couldve been central midfielders given Moyes stated they needed numbers in the middle

A lot of people putting hope that Zabaleta is gonna be our new CM given he played well against Palace but he isnt natural there so it could all go a bit pear shaped...that plus Byram needs to stay injury free and show improvements defensively 1 vs 1

2nd january in a row where weve ended up in profit
  • Horsham

Good article - £5m up front ;doh
  • On the one hand it isn't their fault that Dendoncker didn't sign yesterday but on the other, they had 31 days to get it sorted and started talking on the 31st. Will they ever learn?
  • IronHerb said:

But you don't start trying to compete with the big boys in January or when you have a short term manager.

Why not? What's so prohibitive? There's an argument that we didn't go big in the summer because the board weren't sure about retaining Slav. If we accept they didn't spend in January because Moyes is considered short-term, then what's to say if they replace him with Marco Silva in the summer that they won't let him spend until he's proven himself capable of the job?
  • If they were then to replace Marco Silva in the Autumn, then the new manager
    coming in would not be able spend either, and that way they never have to spend anything. ;lol
  • Sulley : "Karen - Get on to the owners of WHU606 quick and close it down
    Some guy called Hammerex has seen the plans ......."
  • edited February 2018
    Nabbed form FaceBook.

Nicked from Blackadder.

Scene - Boardroom @ London Stadium

Moyes: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us leaking we are bidding for players we have no intention of signing sir?

Brady: How can you possibly know that David? It's classified information.

Moyes: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

Sullivan: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful fans totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!

There is however one small problem.

Moyes: That everyone always catches on in the the first ten seconds.

Brady: That's right! And Mr Sullivan is worried that this may be depressing the fans a tadge. So, he's looking to find a way to cheer them up.

Moyes: Well, his resignation and and a long walk off a short pier would seem the obvious solution.
  • I keep reading tons of comments about how we weakened the side this window. I thought Ayew role was poacher and he was replaced by Hernandez in the summer. Sakho was just sulking around the pitch in autopilot, never seen a player look so disinterested. He has been replaced by someone that doesn’t give defenders a break all game and is a natural boot filler for Carrol (something we have needed for years). Kids going out on loan that we have only had back for a month...give me a break. We got a fantastic midfielder in Mario that will help as keep possession. For me much more important than a DM. We have Noble, Koyoute, Rice and Zaba that can play there. Moyes never seemed interested in the DM’s being offered, was wise to wait. So many fans think if we don’t parade around with a 20 million Giroud we are doomed forever. I am much happier giving Jordan a chance than any spoilt has beens.
  • I agree your post and believe in a roundabout bout there’s probably some truth in it too
  • we needed a DM when Bilic was in charge, under Moyes I don't think its such a priority anymore we seem to be picking up plenty of points without one even with all our injuries
  • It still is a priority position, we can pick up points here and there, but this club has ambitions and a supposed infrastructure to take us to the 'next level' we need large quantities of 3 points to do that not the odd point here and there.
  • I don't think signing one player we will suddenly start winning every week , also I don't get this "next level thing " realistically we won't be a top 6 side anytime soon the clubs there will always have more money and more attraction . D&G may have had wishful thinking we would push on but I never seriously considered it to happen.
  • Top 6 cannot be bought in the January window, that’s for sure! I see no one else tried to sign Carvahlo or Dedontoker (don’t know his name). Strange that the next level DM’s are not snapped up so quickly.
  • Martinez loaned back to Spain...

So that leaves us with TWO strikers, Hernandez will certainly get his chance...

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/february/01-february/toni-martinez-loaned-spanish-club-real-valladolid
  • I think Antonio will be on the bench with Jordan on Saturday. Next week we will have Arnie back so will be Hernandez, Jordan and Maybe Antonio on the bench. Pretty good options to come on there.
  • I guess if you predicate the success of the window on whether or not we signed a DM, the window was a failure.

If you predicate it on having better players than when it opened, it was a success.
  • From that same source (so has as much credibility as the dendoncker report imo)
    we were willing to offer the full 15m euros to buy this DM. The sale was blocked by Lille's owner.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-crystal-palaces-improved-bids-failed-convince-club-release-defensive-midfielder/
  • Andre Ayew: “I want to thank my playing mates and staff. I especially want to thank the West Ham fans, you guys are great guys and with all the ups and downs we had together, I will keep the good memories.”
  • Mrs Grey
    What makes a credible report in your eyes ?
    You seem to think that everything Horsham posted is Fake News.
    Where are your conflicting sources that prove that these writers are telling porkies.
    I dont get it, the window is over, and this website seemingly would have no axe to grind re WHU board ?? What is the value to them in printing a lie - they're not being sensationalist about it.
  • edited February 2018
    I'm not saying it is or isn't credible. I said the 2 articles are of the same standard of credibility. Hence my 'as much credibility as'.

My point rather is to say if you take the first report at face value, and as being accurate, then you have to do the same with the second. Unless you are going to scrutinise each in depth to determine how credible they are.

So for everyone saying the club won't pony up the required fees (as per report 1), there's ample evidence (as per report 2) that they will. And that if it hadn't been for a decision by the Lille owner not to sell or loan under any circs, we could easily have ended up with a DM.
  • I'm not saying whether we will or will not pony up, I'm saying that if you leave it until the 31st day of the transfer window to try and sign a player, then the chances of getting any player are vastly reduced
  • Standard reporting we will go for Dendoncker in the summer
  • They offered to Pony up (eventually) about £12mill In both Cases which just happened to be the asking price for the guy from Lille.
    The point was made that our opening offer to Anderlecht was just £5mill on a £22 mill price, with some add ons. This tends to sour a realistic negotiation.
    Looks like the £12mill was our limit - its normally £8mill down for a £20mill + player(see previous windows), but we had 3-4 from Sakho to play with.

And not a penny from the directors, and dependant on player sales.
    ;deadhorse
  • I guess if you predicate the success of the window on whether or not we signed a DM, the window was a failure.

If you predicate it on having better players than when it opened, it was a success.

Are u sure about that?
    I mean yeh Mario over Ayew, no problem...
    But Jordan over Sakho? ...
    I've never seen him play.
  • edited February 2018
    preston, sorry, my 'pony up' made it seem like I was referring to your comment, but I wasn't. ;ok

bbb, reading the article re. Anderlecht, I think you are misrepresenting the facts as stated therein. It wasn't 5m + add ons it was 15m, in two payments (5m now and £10m in4-6 months). So it was in effect £15m as an opening offer. On a £22m nominal asking price. Why would that sour a realistic negotiation?

The selling club surely expects to be negotiated down a bit and the buying club knows they'll have to move a bit more towards the asking price, different add-ons, upfront payments etc.
  • BBB you have no more idea than the rest is us as to when any bids were made and for whom and how much. It’s all speculation and rumour.
    And I don’t get this “ not a penny from the directors”. They own the club so all the money is theirs but why should they keep ploughing in personal funds just to please fans who want us to compete financially with the state owned clubs like Manchester City.
    The kind of players we would all like to see in most probability wouldn’t want to join us. If a player like Ki says we are no better than Swansea so I’ll stay here, why would better players want to join.
This discussion has been closed.