TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• I agree your post and believe in a roundabout bout there’s probably some truth in it too
  • we needed a DM when Bilic was in charge, under Moyes I don't think its such a priority anymore we seem to be picking up plenty of points without one even with all our injuries
  • It still is a priority position, we can pick up points here and there, but this club has ambitions and a supposed infrastructure to take us to the 'next level' we need large quantities of 3 points to do that not the odd point here and there.
  • I don't think signing one player we will suddenly start winning every week , also I don't get this "next level thing " realistically we won't be a top 6 side anytime soon the clubs there will always have more money and more attraction . D&G may have had wishful thinking we would push on but I never seriously considered it to happen.
  • Top 6 cannot be bought in the January window, that’s for sure! I see no one else tried to sign Carvahlo or Dedontoker (don’t know his name). Strange that the next level DM’s are not snapped up so quickly.
  • Martinez loaned back to Spain...

So that leaves us with TWO strikers, Hernandez will certainly get his chance...

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/february/01-february/toni-martinez-loaned-spanish-club-real-valladolid
  • I think Antonio will be on the bench with Jordan on Saturday. Next week we will have Arnie back so will be Hernandez, Jordan and Maybe Antonio on the bench. Pretty good options to come on there.
  • I guess if you predicate the success of the window on whether or not we signed a DM, the window was a failure.

If you predicate it on having better players than when it opened, it was a success.
  • From that same source (so has as much credibility as the dendoncker report imo)
    we were willing to offer the full 15m euros to buy this DM. The sale was blocked by Lille's owner.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-crystal-palaces-improved-bids-failed-convince-club-release-defensive-midfielder/
  • Andre Ayew: “I want to thank my playing mates and staff. I especially want to thank the West Ham fans, you guys are great guys and with all the ups and downs we had together, I will keep the good memories.”
  • Mrs Grey
    What makes a credible report in your eyes ?
    You seem to think that everything Horsham posted is Fake News.
    Where are your conflicting sources that prove that these writers are telling porkies.
    I dont get it, the window is over, and this website seemingly would have no axe to grind re WHU board ?? What is the value to them in printing a lie - they're not being sensationalist about it.
  • edited February 2018
    I'm not saying it is or isn't credible. I said the 2 articles are of the same standard of credibility. Hence my 'as much credibility as'.

My point rather is to say if you take the first report at face value, and as being accurate, then you have to do the same with the second. Unless you are going to scrutinise each in depth to determine how credible they are.

So for everyone saying the club won't pony up the required fees (as per report 1), there's ample evidence (as per report 2) that they will. And that if it hadn't been for a decision by the Lille owner not to sell or loan under any circs, we could easily have ended up with a DM.
  • I'm not saying whether we will or will not pony up, I'm saying that if you leave it until the 31st day of the transfer window to try and sign a player, then the chances of getting any player are vastly reduced
  • Standard reporting we will go for Dendoncker in the summer
  • They offered to Pony up (eventually) about £12mill In both Cases which just happened to be the asking price for the guy from Lille.
    The point was made that our opening offer to Anderlecht was just £5mill on a £22 mill price, with some add ons. This tends to sour a realistic negotiation.
    Looks like the £12mill was our limit - its normally £8mill down for a £20mill + player(see previous windows), but we had 3-4 from Sakho to play with.

And not a penny from the directors, and dependant on player sales.
    ;deadhorse
  • I guess if you predicate the success of the window on whether or not we signed a DM, the window was a failure.

If you predicate it on having better players than when it opened, it was a success.

Are u sure about that?
    I mean yeh Mario over Ayew, no problem...
    But Jordan over Sakho? ...
    I've never seen him play.
  • edited February 2018
    preston, sorry, my 'pony up' made it seem like I was referring to your comment, but I wasn't. ;ok

bbb, reading the article re. Anderlecht, I think you are misrepresenting the facts as stated therein. It wasn't 5m + add ons it was 15m, in two payments (5m now and £10m in4-6 months). So it was in effect £15m as an opening offer. On a £22m nominal asking price. Why would that sour a realistic negotiation?

The selling club surely expects to be negotiated down a bit and the buying club knows they'll have to move a bit more towards the asking price, different add-ons, upfront payments etc.
  • BBB you have no more idea than the rest is us as to when any bids were made and for whom and how much. It’s all speculation and rumour.
    And I don’t get this “ not a penny from the directors”. They own the club so all the money is theirs but why should they keep ploughing in personal funds just to please fans who want us to compete financially with the state owned clubs like Manchester City.
    The kind of players we would all like to see in most probability wouldn’t want to join us. If a player like Ki says we are no better than Swansea so I’ll stay here, why would better players want to join.
  • edited February 2018
    jay

As I've tried to make clear in other posts, I think Sakho, on form, with his head on straight, was our best all round striker.

But he hasn't been like that for at least a year.

So, for me, he was effectively dead wood, and in that context, yes, I think we are better off with Hugill.
  • Thornbury
    Sorry didnt realise that we're supposed to accept the status quo.

Yes I now realise how deluded I am - in future I will get all my news and opinions from the OS.
    How can I have been so stupid as to do independant research and to try to back my arguments up,
    just pass me those claret and blue specs and I'll be fine.
    ahh thats better

Up the Hammers

Are u sure about that?
    I mean yeh Mario over Ayew, no problem...
    But Jordan over Sakho? ...
    I've never seen him play.
    But Sakho hardly ever plays and, when he does, wanders around like he'd rather be elsewhere.

Moyes has made it clear he wants a tight-knit group without negativity, and with everybody fighting for the cause. He would have got rid of Sakho regardless of the Hugill signing, IMO.

It's all well and good saying Sakho CAN be a very good striker. The fact is he hasn't been for us for a long time and his head left the club ages ago.
  • bb, just to add, my original comment wasn't related to the size of the budget (which is where your interest seems to lie) but to the claim that the club goes in with a 'derisory' offer on purpose, knowing they will be unsuccessful. (A claim for which - it seemed to me - the referenced article was being offered as proof).
  • edited February 2018
    bbb

If you can get 12 to 15 sterling to euro, please let me know where!

It's 13 - 15 at current rates
  • edited February 2018
    Mrs Grey
    Thats my problem, somebody at the club clearly doesnt seem to think that its derisory - the selling clubs do however, which seems to be a rather silly way of going about things. Its happened twice now in 2 windows. And why the wait until the summer before handing over the next 10 mill.
    Because they haven't got it at the moment I bet - we'll have another pay day loan by then I suppose ??.
  • For me, a bad window would be selling Lanzini, Arnie or Antonio with no-one to replace them (or substandard replacement).

Sakho could have left the club 3 years ago, and I wouldn't have noticed. Don't know why a lot of fans think he needs a direct replacement.

Ayew was replaced by Hernandez in the summer. Both play the same role, Ayew could drop into midfield also, but Mario does a much better job of that role already.

Getting good money for Ayew and Sakho was brilliant business in my book.

We were in desperate need of a DM with Bilic. I haven't seen any need for one under Moyes...especially with his current 6 at the back style!

I would have loved a pacey outlet like Toure at Middlesborough. I trust Moyes to use the squad he has to good effect.

• edited February 2018
    The facts remain however that we didnt sign either - but Dendonker was certainly a missed opportunity, and would have been a great bit of business. Thats what you get for going in with a low ball offer on the last day of the window
  • bbb

If you can get 12 to 15 sterling to euro, please let me know where!

It's 13 - 15 at current rates

I know this bloke.......
  • edited February 2018
    Jorderz/ Grey ;ok
    Fair enough, I'm not saying that we should have kept Sakho, as he clearly saw the light.....out of there..

So could u also then say we should have kept Martinez because he wants to play for us....
    Not that I'm dissing Our new signing, but from what u saying, it's more that a player wants to play 4 us.
  • bbb,

Serious question - how much have you seen of Dendoncker? I only ask as I'd never heard of him before this window and have still never seen him play football, and I strongly suspect I'm not alone in that.

That's not aimed at just you specifically, as you may have seen a lot of him, but I'm curious as to why so many are this angry we haven't signed him.
  • The facts remain however that we didnt sign either - but Dendonker was certainly a missed opportunity, and would have been a great bit of business. Thats what you get for going in with a low ball offer on the last day of the window

Anderlecht have shipped more goals than the teams around them, not sure why he is such a missed opportunity?

This discussion has been closed.