TV and Films

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Thank goodness. yeold! Always thought it was a weak part (more suited to the Hobbit, in some ways. Also, though, thinking about it .... some elements of that section of the book could be material for the 'prequels')

re, Scouring of the Shire, billy, I think they just cut 'extraneous' plot lines. I don't think they were worried abut 'darkness' as such, given the themes in the rest of the trilogy? There's probably an interview with the director somewhere that would explain it.

I always thought it a shame it was missed out ... and I think it isn't the only part that have overtones of WW1 (I think the Frodo-Sam relationship does too). It (scouring of the shire) also offers a strongly anti-industrial perspective that appears elsewhere (Saruman destroying Fangorn, for example) that is a bit simplistic imo (bucolic = good; industrial = bad).
  • Tolkein said that it reflected his childhood, growing up in Sarehole, a village in Warwickshire (that had a water mill),that was slowly overtaken by the growth of Birmingham's suburbs after WW1.
  • So the Ruffians were Brummies.

I thought everything after chucking the ring into Mount Doom could have been left out of the film, it just dragged.
  • edited November 2017
    I loved reading the Hobbit, but I couldn't get past the first 100 pages of Ringlord.
    I enjoyed the films, though. Although this video does have a point, concerning the plot:
  • I like the Hobbit book and tried a few times get through the LOTR series but could never manage it...

Like the LOTR films and after first watch could never sit through the hobbit again...

Go figure....
  • edited November 2017
    An afternoon spent watching horror/ comedy Happy Death Day.. Almost a private screening as I was one of only two people in a 300-seat cinema.

As horror it wasn't very scary, as comedy it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny and I enjoyed every minute of it.

And I think that everyone involved with the film would admit that the plot owes more than a little to Groundhog Day.

Next up this weekend Ingrid Goes West.
  • Finished watching 13 Reasons Why the other evening. Not for the faint hearted, but I really liked it, powerful stuff and brilliantly acted. If you`ve not seen it I would highly recommend, but it won`t be everyones cup of tea. ;ok
  • Jumanji Friday then next week its the biggy Star Wars !

Doing the double bill Force Awakens into the Last Jedi for a midnight showing. ;wahoo
  • The great escape
  • Season 5 of Marvels Agents of Shield in Jan cant wait ;wahoo it will be in space and be aligned with Infinity War :D
  • Saw the last Jedi last night ,good film funny ,action and not straight forward would give it a good 8/10
  • Off to see it this afternoon ;wahoo
  • Suze, not sure that those shades suit you so well as the others

;run
  • I thought the film was fab.

But I cried a bit every time I saw Carrie Fisher.
  • Do you want a porg for Xmas ;biggrin
  • porg? whats a porg?
  • A little furry tennis player, Bjorn Porg.
  • Porg are those penguin type things on Luke's island in the film
  • Porgs are the latest marketing gimmick from Lucasfilms, Ewok-type cute aliens that are available as soft toys between £10 and £50 which kids will be pestering their parents to buy this Christmas

Ker-ching
  • Ok I get it know.... ta.
  • Suze, I think you've gone too far with the plastic surgery.
  • Suz you need a shave... ;scary
  • Missed the QF with Arsenal this evening (no bad thing by the sounds of it) and saw The Last Jedi. Won't give away any spoilers, really liked certain aspects of it, but, overall, was a bit disappointed. Not as good as A Force Awakens or Rogue 1 imo. Probably only about 6.5/10 for me.
  • edited December 2017
    The Shannara Chronicles on My5 worth a watch if you like your fantasy/wizards/rogues/trolls/gnomes/elves also some very nice women to look at to!
  • I don't have any interest at all in zombie films but for reasons unknown spent the afternoon watching Train To Busan. An afternoon well spent too.

Zombies. Thousands of them. On a train.

• edited January 2018
    Watching 12 strong
    ;nolan
    On the obi-wan-kenobi kodi

Waves hand
    These are not the droids we are looking for
  • Been watching Ozark on Netflix which is excellent IMO ;ok