Newcastle vs West Ham (A) Saturday 4th Feb 17:30

With West Ham securing passage into the 5th round of the FA cup with a comfortable victory over Derby.

The new Money club that is Newcastle welcome West Ham up north to the land of the Toon army.

with a couple victories in their back pocket can West Ham stand up to the high flyers of Newcastle ? can they end their unbeaten run like they just ended Derby's.

Comments

• Going to be difficult. Pope hasn’t conceded in ten games
  • If we actually score against them I'll be impressed let alone get anything from the game. I will do my best not to watch and hopefully we will get a shock of the season result
  • As an aside, I want to sell Almiron but I know if I do this week he will definitely take revenge and be on the scoresheet
  • Big thanks to @IronHerb for helping me get an away ticket for this one
  • Bowen to handball a goal from an offside position. In the last minute. To win 1-0. If only.
  • So that's Guimaraes out on Saturday. Every little helps. 😁
  • Big thanks to @IronHerb for helping me get an away ticket for this one

He's our top ticket tout!! 😂
  • edited January 2023
    Does Guimares miss the game against us for that Red Card or does he just miss the EFL Cup Final ?
  • Red cards are carried across all competitions whereas yellows are competition specific, so yes he will be suspended for Newcastles next three games but returns for the final.
  • MrsGrey said:

Big thanks to @IronHerb for helping me get an away ticket for this one

He's our top ticket tout!! 😂
    Shhh!
  • IronHerb said:

Red cards are carried across all competitions whereas yellows are competition specific, so yes he will be suspended for Newcastles next three games but returns for the final.

Will it all happen in time for our game? It often takes a week or so for the penalty to be handed out, the appeal time to lapse etc.
  • I don't know but believe it is so. If he appeals and fails he is putting his place in the final at doubt. The tackle was similar to, but not as bad as Fabinho's, so I don't think an appeal will succeed.
  • He's apparently got 2 days to decide whether to appeal (I think) so yeah, I guess it's possible he won't play if he doesn't appeal.
  • Areola
    Kehrer - Ogbonna - Aguerd
    Coufal - Rice - Paqueta - Emerson
    Bowen - Antonio - Fornals
  • Benrahma > Fornals for me. Emerson's energy and Aguerd's ability should mean that Benrahma doesn't need to defend as much as he would if Cresswell was playing, so play your most dangerous players, I say.

I imagine Moyes would be happy with a point, so I suspect it might be Fornals, but if we're playing low-block, counter attacking football again, then I think pace across the front three is essential.
  • Before today's presser, I can see a 3-4-1-2 (effectively a 3-5-2), with Soucek coming back in alongside Rice and Paqueta slightly in advance of them.

A point away to Newcastle is a good result for any team this season, and I think we'll sit in and try and get something on the break, with Benrahma being saved as our only genuine goal-threat substitute.

Fabianski

Kehrer-Ogbonna-Aguerd
    Coufal- Soucek-Rice-Emerson
    Paqueta
    Bowen-Antonio
  • Moyes saying Ings has a chance for this one
  • steve said:

Moyes saying Ings has a chance for this one

I would guess off the bench though.
  • Kehrer in for Zouma only change from Everton game. Ings on bench.
  • No Areola, but still two 'keepers on the bench.
  • Kehrer oh dear
  • Fabiański, Coufal, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Aguerd, Emerson, Rice ©, Paquetá, Fornals, Bowen, Antonio

Subs: Anang (GK), Hegyi (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Lanzini, Downes, Souček, Fornals, Ings

• Benrahma > Fornals, isn't it?

• Not all bad news today, Liverpool look like being sucked into the relegation fight any day soon!
  • Benrahma must be one of the Fornals
  • edited February 2023
    Arguably our strongest available eleven, but I would have thought an outfield U23 player might have been more useful than two 'keepers.

Big game this, with other results going against us.
  • edited February 2023

Benrahma > Fornals, isn't it?

My bad, that's cut and pasted straight from the OS, didn't check the subs too closely tbh. Benrahma starts, Fornals on the bench.
  • come on you irons
  • Nice 3 points to set up our Saturday nights