Newcastle vs West Ham (A) Saturday 4th Feb 17:30

Comments

• Decent point…,
    Unbeaten in a few now
    🙏
    If I had to pick one disappointing performance it’d be Benrahma..
    But after a first few minutes brain freeze, a point deserved ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • 2nd bottle of wine is going down a lot better then the first =)
  • I think we’ve turned the corner. That was a good all round performance. We now have 4 quality players in Rice, Aguerd, Paqueta and Benny. Bring on Chelsea. COYI
  • steve said:

2nd bottle of wine is going down a lot better then the first =)

Only on your 2nd? Lightweight =)
  • I know it’s Saturday night and “we’ve all had a drink mate” but I still find it odd that people can’t just watch a game without all the doom and gloom after a few minutes.
    Sometimes, just sometimes you can make yourself look a little bit pessimistic, know what I mean?😉
  • MrsGrey said:

Moyes booked?

• MrsGrey said:

One match report I'm reading says today we conceded our 100th corner this season. Conceded no goals from.them though.

Except when it's OUR corner 😭😭😭
  • I think people are well within their rights to comment on the game as its taking place. Especially as it's a match thread.
  • Only 5 points off palace ,things are looking up =)
  • Hamstew said:

I think people are well within their rights to comment on the game as its taking place. Especially as it's a match thread.

Shared experience and all that. I mean, you wouldn't go to a live game and stand in stoic silence, not passing comment on anything until the final whistle blew.
  • Depends which ground your at =)
  • Hamstew said:

I think people are well within their rights to comment on the game as its taking place. Especially as it's a match thread.

Shared experience and all that. I mean, you wouldn't go to a live game and stand in stoic silence, not passing comment on anything until the final whistle blew.
    I go to quite a few games and I very rarely hear our supporters say “ we’re going down”etc) two or so minutes into a game.
    It’s called being a supporter of the team I’spse.🤷🏻‍♂️
    So much easier to sit back and tap that old keyboard saying how bad we are after a few minutes I guess though.

• I don't go to watch football as much as I used to, but I don't remember anyone standing there saying, "well let's see how things are after 90 minutes".

People moan about the players, about the ref, about the manager. I can almost guarantee that there were complaints in the away end this evening when Newcastle scored after 45 seconds. And again when they scored the legitimate goal.

You can support a club and still be critical of aspects of it. It's an emotional game.
  • Not sure I heard anyone saying we’re going to get thumped and/or relegated though.
  • Anyway, has anyone heard from welove? Hope all the excitement wasn’t too much for him. 🤪
  • Can we have a list of the things we're allowed to say on the match thread please? Just so we don't upset people.
  • Mate,very little upsets me tbh.
  • If we could add two things to that team today that would make me really hopeful of a good second half to the season it would be Zouma back and remaining fit, as he and Aguerd will make a great pairing. Secondly It's if Bowen can find his form of last season. He was pretty anonymous today and yet last season was unplayable at times.
  • Well thats the Everton Derby and Newcastle games I didnt watch ( I was being a totally great boyfriend but the superstitious me ecided that I wouldnt watch us again until we lost so I didnt break any jinx hoodoo etc). Obviously delighted a couple of hours after the game having access to the score seeing a 1-1) Hwew's to not wathcing Chelsea soon!

p.s. not thrilled by Everton winning
  • edited February 2023
    Slacker IMHO I feel you need to respect we all have our own thoughts and opinions, the only post that mentioned Championship on here was by Thorn, and IMO it was in a sarcastic/ humorous way, no one was going on about it, we were just generally stating the obvious, another very poor start to the game, that was evident for all to witness, if you think we should refrain from posting at those times and say how we are feeling, isn’t that the whole point of a ‘match thread’

Perhaps if you get wound up reading posts during a game, skip them and start reading from FT??…

It just comes across that while you are positive all the time which is a wonderful thing, some of us are just saying things how we see it at that moment and might just enjoy the odd moan or two 😉…

We are all supporting the same team and whether you approve or not we are all entitled to say what we like, in moderation on here of course, but for some of us to be constantly keep reading you don’t like this or that, is getting a little tiresome, nothing personal, just my own thoughts on what I’m reading…

Anyhow , as it’s said on here, respect the point and each other!!

COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • edited February 2023
    Overall pleased with the result and performance, a little worried about Fornals, last couple of games he underwhelmed and when he came in today, he was all huff n puff with little impact.

I would like to see a bit more of Downes who can release one of our hold ing midleflieders to push up a bit.

Standout performance for Aguerd - he looked a proper class act today
  • We certainly need a bit of luck now going forwards in terms of keeping players fit. Without Aguerd's pace at the back we could find ourselves in a bit of bother defensively. We saw how easily Wilson outpaced Kehrer and, in particular, Ogbonna for the opener, and also how well Aguerd got back at him for that point-saving tackle. He's going to be a huge player for us over the next few months (and hopefully years).

The back five seems to be working quite nicely now but if Emerson gets injured then we either have to play Cresswell or probably Fornals at LWB, neither of which suit the role, IMO. Or Moyes takes a chance of Scarles which I just don't see happening.

And of course if we lose Rice we lose our best player. I like Downes, and I think he's a really good DM, but neither him, nor Paqueta, nor Soucek are anywhere near Rice's level. Honestly, he was outstanding yesterday.

So there's certainly hope now that we can stay up, but we also need a decent amount of luck because even after two transfer windows I still think there are gaps in the squad.
  • Steve said
    “Really don't like this season”

I said
    “You’ll like next season even less if we’re in the championship”

No mention of we will be relegated.
  • The first 10 minutes we were woeful, so I don't see what the problem is, of saying we were woeful. Later In the game we were playing better and we were saying, we were playing better. It's a match thread, I don't get the problem of saying how you're seeing it.
  • The first 10 minutes we were woeful, so I don't see what the problem is, of saying we were woeful. Later In the game we were playing better and we were saying, we were playing better. It's a match thread, I don't get the problem of saying how you're seeing it.

Quite often, I read the match thread when I don’t have access to a live stream and I would imagine that others do to. So I want to hear how we’re doing, good or bad.
  • That’s me told then.
    I’ll try and keep my guffaws to myself in future.😉
  • Of course people should comment on a game as it is in progress the woeful bits like the opening stages of yesterday and and the better bits as the game went on. I think the point that Slaker was making is there is sometimes a tendency by some, and I am not referring to yesterdays game in particular, to too quickly go into a state of gloom and despondency about the state of the club in general. Somebody gets a knock and it’s the clubs fault for not getting cover in the transfer window, a five minute bad passage of play defines our season. That to me is a different conversation for after the final whistle.
  • The worrying thing about yesterday is how we don't seem to be switched on when the game starts.
    If the ball hadn't gone out we would have been 0-1 down inside 40 seconds and it's not as if they all assumed the ball was out and stopped playing. It was far too easy for Willock to cut back and get his shot away.
    And Wilson's goal was a repeat of a similar one we conceded earlier in the season (can't remember who against), just naive defending.
    Another thing I'd mention is the way Trippier manhandled Paqueta prior to our goal, he practically shoved him against the goalpost, yet nothing given. Maybe it would have been looked at if we hadn't scored, but I wouldn't have bet on it.
    Anyway, a well-deserved point.
  • Bubbles I think they did know it had gone out because as soon as he scored their arms went up and Ogbonna pointed to where it went out. It wasn’t one of those where you needed an aerial shot to tell.
  • edited February 2023
    Very good result. I think there was a door open for us to take all 3 points as Newcastle were not quite at it (especially missing their CM) but I appreciate we maybe wanted to ensure we took a point after the results of the other sides.

We look like we’re starting to get some intensity back. I wonder if the upcoming return of the ECL has any impact? The last time we hit any form was when the group stages were in full flow. Maybe a slight loss of motivation since that’s gone on a break.

Rice & Aguerd were outstanding.