Everton (A) Sunday 18th September 2:15pm Sky Sports

Comments

• Good job some on here weren’t around in the sixties and seventies, Greenwood wouldn’t have lasted five minutes.
  • 14 corners yesterday and Dawson on the bench, if Downes had come in for Soucek we'd have had even less threat.
  • Slacker, I was & it was a completely different game to now in so many ways.
  • Yeas it was Fortune, but the literal meaning of the word “support” in this context man’s just that, through thick and thin.
    Two really good seasons with European football achieved and seven games in people ( not just on here obviously) are wanting the manager gone.
    Embarrassing.
  • Slacker said:

Yeas it was Fortune, but the literal meaning of the word “support” in this context man’s just that, through thick and thin.
    Two really good seasons with European football achieved and seven games in people ( not just on here obviously) are wanting the manager gone.
    Embarrassing.

Has anyone on here actually said the manager needs to go?
  • Maybe not yet but you get the sentiment?And as I said not just on here, but this is where I post.
  • edited September 2022
    Just putting it out here for people to discuss Leicester City have been in European competition for the past two seasons, like us, & although they are currently bottom have played quite well in recent matches from what I have seen. They are reported to be looking into how much it would cost to replace their manager. Please explain apart from our respective positions in the league why David Moyes shouldn't attract some criticism? We have spent alot more than Leicester & they appear to have had a harder set of matches up to this point.
  • So we're not allowed now to complain, moan or say anything now are we?
  • I just don't get this insinuation that older fans are better fans. As Fortune says, the game has changed massively over the decades and fan bases have too, but the newer generation of fans don't love the club any less than our parents and grandparents generations did.

Clubs will get unconditional support, through thick and thin, because that's what the fans love. Managers come and go and I don't think they necessarily deserve unconditional support; if they're not performing then constructive criticism is fair game, IMO.
  • So we're not allowed now to complain, moan or say anything now are we?

Eh?

• edited September 2022
    Did older fans not express disappointment and frustration away from the stadium? In their homes or pubs? But then show their support when facing the team in a game?

I wasn’t there but is it really true that they went home happy and never said anything critical? I feel like the main difference is probably that frustration is now aired more openly before because these are the formats people communicate in now. It doesn’t mean people won’t be supporting the team and manager come match day.
  • What do you mean eh? Whenever someone posts something up criticising the team after playing appallingly, you then moan about the criticism. Moyes gets the plaudits for when the team plays well but at the same time when the team doesn't, then I feel as a fan, he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.
  • Moyes is not above criticism

Yes he's done wonderfully but this isn't a single game nor a blip, we've been poor the majority of the calendar year and its Quote clear its gone stale

Haven't called for Moyes to get sack but you have to say there is pressure on him to turn the fortunes around as it has been dire

Hes been backed in the window and persists with players that are grossly out of form, these are calls from him that he has to take responsibility for
  • Look all I’m saying is I don’t agree with most/ some of what’s been said on this thread.
    Is that ok or should I not be allowed that?
    Please advise.
  • edited September 2022
    We were poor but so were Everton. The thing with football is results always shape the feeling. We’ve played as poor as that before over the last 2 years but often come away with a 0-0 or a 1-0 win. We weren’t much better against Everton last season but pinched a goal from a corner to win 1-0. Same the year before.

We are way off our normal fluency but Bowen started badly last season (didn’t get started until October) too, Fornals is Fornals, Antonio needs service. I find it odd we are playing the same side but have thrown Paqueta in who doesn’t look ready yet to me nor a No.10. Coufal & Soucek look well & truly finished at this level. Defensively we are ok, it’s not fair to keep expecting us to keep teams out when we have scored 3 goals in 7 games so, in the main, we’ve done ok defensively (9 goals conceded in 7 games). Despite that, we’ve let in some right rank goals.
  • To think Coufal & Soucek were angling for new contracts after just one season.
  • I'm one of the veteran fans and I can assure you that there were plenty of grumbles when we didnt do well. However, there wasnt the sacking culture there is now. Whether West Ham won or lost, we always tried to play good football. That was the most important thing for the fans (although of course everyone likes to win). Defensively we were invariably suspect but we played/tried to play with a bit of swag.

I've seen way too many seasons where we were always in the bottom half and it was a relief to get any win that came along. But you get used to being starved of success and, again, if the team plays a certain way at least its entertaining.

At one point in my youth we had something like 4 managers ever. The day we sacked John Lyall I was really upset. Totally choked we'd do something like that. Greenwood had gone to England and Lyall was such a part of the club I never envisaged him not being there. For me, it was never the same after that
  • I didnt want to put this with my last post... Older more impatient me is going to be the first to say I wouldnt shed a tear if Moyes was sacked. I've always found him hard to like personality wise so there's never been any affinity. I acknowledge what he/the team has done in recent seasons and I'll always be grateful for those highs.

I doubt we could get Tuchel in but Brendan is, I believe, a within reach manager who has a decent brand of football.

I dont believe Moyes will ever be anything more than the battling, cautious non free flowing football man he's always been.

We seem devoid of a purpose and style going forward. It may be just me but it drives me nuts to see the side and back passes allied to people running then cutting back and finding a safe back pass. I can't see the plan or identity of play anymore and, without any affinity for him, I'd welcome someone more modern and progressive in their style of play

#It was me
  • Bazshuayi said:

We seem devoid of a purpose and style going forward. It may be just me (not just you) but it drives me nuts to see the side and back passes allied to people running then cutting back and finding a safe back pass. I can't see the plan or identity of play anymore and, without any affinity for him (Moyes), I'd welcome someone more modern and progressive in their style of play

#It was me

This.
    Italics are mine.
  • We've been a great counter-attacking side, but now that we've been worked out there doesn't seem to be a Plan B. I was hoping the new signings would provide a different way of playing, but we haven't seen enough of them to see what they can do.

And yeah, the backwards and sideways this has become very frustrating. I know sometimes it's necessary to recycle the ball and move teams around, but we have no end product in terms of that killer forward pass. Coufal, Cresswell and Johnson are all guilty of it in the wide positions, and Bowen and Fornals almost always turn back infield and play the simple pass back to Rice or the CBs.

We need to be braver (and better) in the final third and be prepared to run past or pass through the opposition defence. So far this season we've been far too slow and predictable.
  • edited September 2022
    I thing I find most annoying is Coufal and Cresswell seem to wait until the defender closes them down before crossing instead of whipping the ball in early, so frustrating!
  • I think the transition from counter attacking to another style has been the main problem. Teams know we’re good on the counter so they don’t let us do it anymore, but the players are still broadly the same and a lot of them aren’t suitable for that style of play. We need Scamacca, Benrahma, Paqueta, Emerson in the side if we want to move away from pure counter attacking, IMO, but that’s tricky when Antonio, Soucek, Fornals, Cresswell are seen as the reliable old guard, particularly when we need results.
  • The old guard aren't getting results, so the next three games are probably a good time to try the new players.

Soucek, Bowen, Coufal and Cresswell shouldn't start the next PL game, IMO. For the Wolves game I'd like to see Johnson or Ashby start (both injured now so unlikely), Emerson on the left, Downes play the holding role, letting Rice break the lines with Paqueta. Cornet and Benrahma playing with Scamacca in a front three rather than holding the flanks and isolating the striker.

Areola
    Johnson Zouma Kehrer Emerson
    Downes
    Rice Paqueta
    Cornet Scamacca Benrahma

I think Antonio is best suited to an impact sub role anyway, to be honest. Let Benrahma and Cornet tire the defence, Scamacca beat them up a beat, and then unleash Antonio for the last 15-20 minutes.

The reliable old guard are only any good if they're reliable. At the moment, many of them aren't.
  • I'd actually play Antonio on the right.
  • What we need is 5 more Declan Rices. He's the only one at present who's confident enough to run with the ball for more than 5 metres.
  • Hamstew said:

I'd actually play Antonio on the right.

This shoud've happened vs Everton when Scamacca came on. Its not like hes unfamiliar with the role.
  • Areola
    Kehrer Dawson Zouma Emerson
    Downes
    Rice Paqueta
    Cornet Scamacca Benrahma

Slight amendment to your team OCS.
  • Just a thought, the two most successful managers in Premier League history were Ferguson and Wenger. They just happen to be the two longest serving I believe.
    Before anyone jumps in with Pep or any of 43 Chelsea managers, they don’t count because whatever success they had was bought.
    So maybe, just maybe there actually is a case for having some patience.