Everton (A) Sunday 18th September 2:15pm Sky Sports

Comments

• We look like a bunch of players that have never played together before.
    Some will think there is a lot of overreacting on here, but I personally see little else but a major struggle this season to remain out of the bottom 3.
    We have lots of good players, but they are not pulling together at present….
    Oh well, this is the old WHUFC I remember 😜⚒️🤣
  • Jason McAteer summing it up accurately
  • MrsG, In Europe may be but I don't know if the SFA will do anything about the Dundee United or Hibernian fans as well?
  • We couldn’t even refresh our performances after the summer break and the signs were all there in pre season, which although primarily for fitness, showed alarming indications that we were regressing as a team.

This is the biggest concern. We've had a summer off and brought in eight new players. Shouldn't be any excuses in terms of fitness or having a stale squad.

Pre-season was poor, and I question whether the level of opposition was good enough. We just haven't looked comfortable at any stage this season, and I can't see how it gets turned around. If Moyes hasn't managed it in ten months then where's the confidence that he can now?

He has his favourites and it's killing the team, IMO. Fornals, Soucek, Cresswell, Coufal and Bowen have started the majority but all have been poor. If it ain't working, change it.
  • Sack Moyes bringing Tuchel. We have been poor all year. I see no improvement at all and unless Moyes starts to change things tactically and starts to drop the players not pulling their weight, then we will be staying in the bottom 6 for the rest of the season.
  • Bottom 6 is looking highly likely but worryingly bottom 3 is looking a distinct possibility
  • Apparently I have been fortunate to have missed most of that. Been at work in the kitchen preparing a buffet lunch for unexpected/ uninvited guests who haven't even bothered showing up. I have now a selection of curled up sandwiches - roast beef (mustard or horseradish), prawn with chilli mayonnaise and smoked salmon with cucumber - and dry chocolate flake sponge. Pea and ham soup too. If you would like some just let me know and I'll pop them in the post for you. Second class, so they should reach you by the end of the week.
  • At least Rice was good imo. Much better than Onana who I really wasn't impressed with.
  • The parts that I saw in between designing/building furniture, the number of wayward passes was inexcusable
  • Chris Sutton proving to be a worthy successor to Lawro.
  • I don't really want him sacked, I like Moyes and I think he has done a great job until the start of the year but he really needs to improve his overall game.
  • We are very lucky we haven’t had any drubbings so far but if we keep this level of performance up there will be a few heading our way.
    I’ve not seen anyone play as badly as us this season. Even Leicester yesterday played some good stuff and scored a couple of decent goals before imploding.
    As soon as we go behind I thinks it’s game over.
  • At least the Women won against Everton.
  • edited September 2022
    Keeping on the WSL theme all four goals Aston Villa scored today were by former West Ham players.
  • Wasn’t great was it?
    I think it’s way too early to talk out binning Moyes though.
  • Nothing is clicking and tol many players out of form. Coufal, Soucek and Bowen have been so poor. Downes, Ashby and Benhrama should be replacing them.
  • Slacker said:

Wasn’t great was it?
    I think it’s way too early to talk out binning Moyes though.

Agree but it won't be long imo. Unless he mixes it up a bit. His favourite Soucek has to come out for Downes imo.
  • Two weeks for DM to decide on his best team. There will come a time very soon "where we are still trying to bed all the new players in" will wear very thin. Did he actually say "Juggling the Premier League and Europe is a struggle"? I would like to think we would have learnt how to do that from last season?
  • I really don’t think a hardened professional manager has “ favourites “ in terms of who plays. He picks a team of players that he’s watched in training and who he thinks can do the job in a match.
    We might not agree with him but that’s why he’s a football manager and we’re not.
  • That's fair enough I know he's the manager and I'm not but that doesn't stop me having the opinion that he has his favourites. A bit like Southgate.
  • Didn’t realise Everton lost their first two but have been unbeaten since with a win and four draws. We’ve now lost five of our first seven and it’s simply not good enough and they need to take a long look at themselves before we go again. Unfortunately some of those who are seriously underperforming will be away on international duty
  • Since 1st January our EPL form has been
    5 Home wins goals F/A 8 - 2
    3 away wins F/A 8 - 2

4 home defeats F/A 3 - 9
    9 away defeats F/A 3 - 15

4 home draws F/A 5-5
    1 away draw F/A 2 - 2

Hardly inspiring is it.
  • edited September 2022
    Hamstew said:

That's fair enough I know he's the manager and I'm not but that doesn't stop me having the opinion that he has his favourites. A bit like Southgate.

With you, Ham. I think it's evident that he has his favourites. If he honestly looks at the performances of Coufal, Soucek, Fornals and Bowen this season and thinks they're of the required standard then something isn't right, IMO. If they're considered genuinely better options in their current form than Downes, Benrahma and Cornet, then questions have to be asked about his signings.

Either way, I believe Moyes is largely at fault for this current situation.

This international window won't do us the favours some think it will; we'll have so many players away that we won't be able to work on whatever's required to put things right. Probably why getting a new manager in now won't help either.

Moyes gets a few more weeks for me I think. We have Wolves, Fulham, Southampton and Bournemouth in the next five league games. Absolute minimum of seven points from those otherwise I think he needs to go.
  • So the clamour for new signings was answered, and seven games in the manager is getting it all wrong?
    Really?
  • Awful performances, 18th in the league and three league goals scored suggests he's getting things wrong, yes.
  • edited September 2022
    OCS, Sorry seven points from those games!!!! I reckon 10 or David Moyes really needs to start worrying.
  • Slacker said:

So the clamour for new signings was answered, and seven games in the manager is getting it all wrong?
    Really?

I think both things can coexist. Getting the players through the door is the job of the board, and they’ve done it now. The fact the manager has the tools at his disposal means he should be using them, and the fact that we’re 18th and performing very poorly suggests he isn’t.
  • OCS, Sorry seven points from those games!!!! I reckon 10 or David Moyes really needs to start worrying.

That's why I said absolute minimum. I'd want more, but Wolves are still a decent team and Southampton have had the better of us over recent seasons.
  • OCS, ok. =) Still think we should be looking to get at least 10 points.
  • My concern at this point in time is that the striker situation appears to still be a problem as we have no one scoring goals. Antonio is far from prolific as a scorer of goals and yet in scamacca I am beginning to fear he has possibly created the same issue we had with Haller, in that the player has undoubted qualities, that we may not play to. I can't see how Scamacca can be behind Antonio in the starting line-up. If you buy Scamacca as your answer to the striker problem, then play him. If he is a target man then target him.

Moyes has been supported in the transfer market but seems to feel very few of them are better than we had already if his starting line ups are anything to go by. Downes started one match and was man of the match, yet now not getting a game, Soucek is hardly making the shirt his own by his performances just as Antonio isn't.

Just as we have players not performing, we also have a manager not performing but it's way too soon to be thinking of changing manager. He has missed opportunities to pick up points but I am sure he will begin to move us up the table. My prediction is a meaningful attempt at the Euro places will not happen this season but he should get us to mid table and hopefully that will allow us a good attempt at prioritising the Euro Conference this season.