Everton (A) Sunday 18th September 2:15pm Sky Sports

edited September 2022 in Match Threads
To paraphrase the Book of Job (1:21) "Sky taketh away and Sky giveth back"

We were deprived of Newcastle on TV last weekend but instead we get Everton this weekend. Our record at Goodison has improved over recent years, we've won the last two and won four of the last eight. The bookies think there will be goals with a score draw or an away win being the clear favourites

Everton are a bit of a mess at the moment, they lost their first two PL games and have drawn the last four with their only win against League 1 Fleetwood Town in the League Cup.

With both Jordan Pickford and back up Andy Lonergan out injured 3rd choice keeper Asmir Begovic will likely start. Everton signed ex-Leicester City GK Eldin Jakupovic on a free this week but he hasn't played in a competitive match since January 2020

At the back Yerry Mina, Ben Godfrey and Mason Holgate are all injured which has forced Little Frank to switch from his preferred 3-4-3 to 4-3-3.

Abdoulaye Doucoure's absence means that Amadou Onana could get another start although Idrissa Gueye is another midfield option, signed from PSG on deadline day and replaced Tom Daives for the last half hour of the Merseyside derby

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been back training for the last two weeks so he will probably be on the bench while Andros Townsend retains his seat in the stands.

And obviosuly they now have Neal Maupay...

Best guess

Begovic
Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Gueye Onana Iwobi
Grey Maupay Gordon

Comments

• I'd like to see:

Areola
    Coufal Kehrer Zouma Emerson
    Rice Paqueta Downes
    Cornet Scamacca Benrahma

And use Antonio as an impact sub.

But I'm expecting to see:

Fabianski
    Coufal Kehrer Zouma Cresswell
    Rice Paqueta Soucek
    Bowen Antonio Fornals

Honestly have no idea which way this one will go. I can see a 3-0 win either way, or it could quite easily be a 2-2 draw. Both sides have calamity at the back well within their gift so I think there'll be goals.
  • Martin Keown highlighted Kehrer as being at fault for Silkeborg's 1st goal last night, so Moyes could play Ballon as a safer choice.
    Areola was a bit of a worry last night, I'm beginning to wonder if he's going to be Fab's long term replacement.
    Need to get 3 points here for a confidence boost as much as anything.
  • As a few have pointed out all the new signings need time to bed in which is going to be difficult in the important matches we have to play. Centre backs especially need to work as a pair & that was the problem with the first goal as Kehrer & Dawson haven't had much time to get any level of understanding? Could Kehrer play at RB allowing Zouma and Dawson to play in the middle?
  • Kehrer been pretty good so far this season so to bin him after a mistake last night would be a knee jerk reaction.
  • Herb, I'd agree with you if we were in a more comfortable position in the league but in this instance where I think it's so important that we get the win it might be a good idea to have 2 CBs who are more familiar with each other.
    Also would Kehrer have come into the first team as soon as he did if Dawson had been fit? Moyes usually prefers to bring new players in gradually so it might be that Kehrer still needs a little more time before he's fully integrated into the team.

• I think that when Aguerd is fit Kehrer plays alongside Rice.
  • I think that when Aguerd is fit Kehrer plays alongside Rice.

Why?

Kehrer has played CB for most of his career, has played LB or RB for Germany in 8 out of his 11 appearances but hasn't played CM/DM since 2018

Why sign CM/DM Downes if you are going to play a CB out of position?
  • I like Kehrer, I think he's very capable but I think he might tend towards being a bit rash in moments and that's probably going to lead to goals. He's had a bit of a chaotic start, giving away a penalty, an own goal and a mistake but otherwise looking good. I don't think that means he should be dropped but wonder if it'll mean he's a long-term first team option once Aguerd comes back (and if Aguerd proves more composed). Maybe he will be in a back three, or maybe his versatility will mean he gets games everywhere.
  • Who knows

Aguerd may be as rash as Kehrer and have trouble settling into the Premier League, we won't know until he's played a few games.

A lot of people thought Cornet would be the greatest thing since sliced bread who would go straight into the starting XI but so far all he has done is get fouled and miss open goals

Early doors
  • I’d be surprised if Aguerd isn’t viewed as the long term successor to Ogbonna, as he was the top priority first signing through the door. I personally think that we will play with a back three, with Kehrer and Aguerd either side of Zouma when everyone is fit.

I think the long term set up of the side will be a 3-4-1-2 system, looking a bit like this: Areola/Fab; Kehrer Zouma Aguerd; Coufal Soucek Rice Emerson; Paqueta/Fornals; Bowen Scamacca
  • I think when fit Aguerd is seen as a starter, probably alongside Zouma. Kehrer has that bit of class (I know he had to be dropped in before getting to know the team) but he is a regular starter for Germany and needs to start. Alongside Rice he would provide quality passing out from the back that will improve the team, also gives Rice more licence to go forward.
  • I don't see Moyes playing 3-4-3 instead of 4-2-3-1 because it means he will only have three players up front instead of four

He bought Paqueta as a No 10 with Bowen on the right, Fornals, Cornet or Benrahma on the left and Antonio or Scamacca up front

Kehrer was only brought in because Aguerd, Dawson and Ogbonna was injured, otherwise Moyes would have waited until next summer to bring in another CB. Now he can let Dawson leave in January or both Dawson and Oggy leave in the summer.
  • edited September 2022
    Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Kehrer - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Paqueta - Cornet
    Antonio

Areola, Dawson, Ogbonna, Emerson, Downes, Fornals, Lanzini, Benrahma, Scamacca

Out: Aguerd, Johnson

Is what I think it will be. Think Cornet has shown enough recently to get a start. Could easily make a case for Fornals & Scamacca starting.
  • Lukerz, So four of last season’s back 5? No Aguerd either? 🤔
  • Lukerz, So four of last season’s back 5? No Aguerd either? 🤔

Aguerd is out injured still.
  • From Lampard's press conference Doucoure is fully recovered from his hamstring injury and ex- Man U U21 James Garner is available

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone leave your name and message. I'll get back to you"
  • Happy days 😂.

Loved the Rockford Files
  • buffy, 👍 I thought Lukerz was commenting on the earlier comments by alderz & Whitehorsehammer.
  • From Lampard's press conference Doucoure is fully recovered from his hamstring injury and ex- Man U U21 James Garner is available

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone leave your name and message. I'll get back to you"

Earlier still:
    Bret Maverick :
    "As my old pappy used to say, Marriage is the only game of chance I know of where both people can lose."

"As my old pappy used to say, if at first you don't succeed, try something else."
  • Cornet is an odd one. He comes alive near the goal, but his second half performance was embarrassing. I think he could be a super sub.
  • MrsGrey said:

Happy days 😂.

Loved the Rockford Files

I really loved the theme tune.
  • I know I am stating the obvious, but today's game is huge. Nervous
  • Just to say the correct cup was used this morning so all is well.⚒
  • Really need the 3 points ,everything crossed
  • Whilst I don’t feel we’ll be in a relegation battle come May, another loss today would really make this a very bad start to the season.
  • This isn't a relegation 6-pointer but this does feel like a "kick-start the season" 6-pointer

I'm going to be disappointed if we lose here, 4 points after 7 games would be a very worrying start

A win here and we'd be up to 13th which sounds on paper much better
  • edited September 2022
    Fabiański, Coufal, Kehrer, Zouma, Cresswell, Souček, Rice ©, Fornals, Lucas Paquetá, Bowen, Antonio
    Subs: Areola (GK), Benrahma, Cornet, Dawson, Downes, Lanzini, Ogbonna, Emerson, Scamacca.
  • Best guess

Begovic
    Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
    Gueye Onana Iwobi
    Grey Maupay Gordon

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Calvert-Lewin absent but Doucouré on the bench alongside Jim Rockford

• Disappointed to see Antonio ahead of Scam the Man 🔫