Queen Elizabeth II of the UK dies.

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't think - from Sept 2022.

Comments

• Oh goodness, the Queen has passed away:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61585886
  • Private Eye had been reporting for weeks that Brenda was a lot worse than Buck House were admitting

Millions will have to get used to singing "God save the King"
  • edited September 2022
    Probably easiest just to abolish the monarchy.

Such an outpouring of sentimental claptrap from all and sundry.

• How sour.let's all scoff at the passing of a 96 year old great grandmother. This will get modded, I'm off
  • MrsGrey said:

not the time really Mrs G
  • Who's scoffing?
    Not me. I have no time for the insincerity and sentimentality I see in responses to the fact that a woman died.
    How many 96 year old grandmothers died today?

Are they getting the same treatment? No. Why not?

Bottom line - a rich and privileged woman died at a good old age after a lifetime of ease and doing a really not very hard job. She enjoyed luxury, power, and opportunities through no merit of her own.

If course it's sad for her family, but that's it.

I care not a jot, and resent how much public money will be spent on the ensuring circus.

• not your money in Greece fortunately, she gave her life to public service, which not many 96 year old grandmothers have done and she was a great lady, I was lucky enough to meet her. I mourn her loss and what she did for the country, especially after the war.
  • MrsGrey said:

not the time really Mrs G
    I actually think it's a perfect time.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Imo there's never a wrong time to chuck the leeches out.
  • I'm out bye bye
  • edited September 2022

not your money in Greece fortunately,.

I pay taxes in the UK.

Although I'm not allowed a vote.

Go figure.
  • I’m sorry Mrs G, but your comment above is totally out of order. You have every right to be anti—Monarchy, but as whupathman said, this is not the time.
  • Agree 110 % Mrs Grey
  • Sorry, Dodger, but I have every right to express my view when I want to. As do others here.
  • Its a perfect time .
  • Personally, I dont think being anti royalist/monarchy etc has a pause button for when its deemed not appropriate to be so.

I agree with a lot of Mrs Greys points and comments. I also sympathize with those who mourn the Queen too as I would do for anyone who loses someone dear to them (whatever my own thoughts and feelings are).

That ability to express yourself, whatever 'side' you may be on is one of the things we should also hold dear.

If I see something I dont like, I quickly breeze past it and hopefully on to something I do like more...
  • edited September 2022
    Perhaps a Mod could create a thread and move the relevant comments there as there seems to be some strong feelings being expressed on both sides that might be easiest to avoid (if some people want to) if they're contained within their own thread.
  • MrsGrey said:

Sorry, Dodger, but I have every right to express my view when I want to. As do others here.

There are times when if you have nothing nice to say it it better to say nothing at all.
  • Dodger58 said:

MrsGrey said:

Sorry, Dodger, but I have every right to express my view when I want to. As do others here.

There are times when if you have nothing nice to say it it better to say nothing at all.
    And yet 76 years later they still slag off Hitler!

I'd prefer an elected ceremonial head of state like Ireland but a hereditary monarchy with limited or no power is preferable to an elected head of state with actual power

I'd much rather have Brenda and Brain than Trump
  • Could someone tell me why the BBC sports page has all about the queen ,
  • steve said:

Could someone tell me why the BBC sports page has all about the queen ,

Respect.
    I will miss her. I’m sad.
  • I wont ,But still cant understand why its on the sports page .
  • I'm 100% with MrsGrey on this one.
  • My take?
    Not in my name.
  • Whilst we're at it perhaps chuck the bishops and House of Lords out too.
  • MrsGrey said:

Nice to see cynicism is alive and well. Disappointed.
  • My take is that the Firm has missed a trick in not ensuring that William and Kate should ascend, I believe that Charles is viewed by many in my generation as a weak man and is certainly out of touch with the younger generation.

A title and ceremonial role could surely be found for him whilst William and Kate are clearly the rock stars who should be tasked with taking the Monarchy forward.

• MrsGrey said:

Mrs Grey, your views on the Monarchy are as valid as anyone else’s and have been expressed in prior chains so I for one was not surprised by your viewpoint, i would have been more surprised had you voiced anything much different, it is a viewpoint that is held by many, not I believe by most, but you are surely not alone.

I also recognize and will ultimately defend your right to express them whenever you want to, however, that does not stop me from feeling incredibly disappointed that you chose to do so here and now.

• I'm saying nothing, because I believe all people have the right to mourn in peace. I just wish the politicians and media would do the same.
  • MrsGrey said:

Who's scoffing?
    Not me. I have no time for the insincerity and sentimentality I see in responses to the fact that a woman died.
    How many 96 year old grandmothers died today?

Are they getting the same treatment? No. Why not?

Bottom line - a rich and privileged woman died at a good old age after a lifetime of ease and doing a really not very hard job. She enjoyed luxury, power, and opportunities through no merit of her own.

If course it's sad for her family, but that's it.

I care not a jot, and resent how much public money will be spent on the ensuring circus.

“A really not very hard job”?? So you’ve inside knowledge of the role? A terribly naïve comment. She did an incredible job for this country for over 70 years and I for one am proud to have called her my Queen.