Queen Elizabeth II of the UK dies.

Comments

• I think it’s different Chicago. While I don’t think there should be that much money going into entertainment, I don’t begrudge the footballers getting their share of a massive business that is built on their backs. Most footballers are from working class backgrounds, I believe, and have had to work their way from childhood to be at this elite level. I find them more deserving of their payouts than many of the actors these days who are the children of other actors.

Now I don’t think so much money should be in football that they’re earning this much in the first place but that’s a bigger problem. I don’t think tickets should be so expensive at stadiums or that watching it costs more than £40 a month.

But I think the problem of football is capitalism while the concern about the royal family is more about entrenched (and extreme) privilege that we as a society continue to support.

On the topic here, it’s understandable that emotions are elevated and I think everyone has to understand that it is emotional for all. While it is obvious that those who feel connected to the royal family will be mourning and of course sensitive to criticism, I think it’s also true that those who feel aggrieved by the Royal family’s existence and associations will also have their own emotions about the extent and nature of the coverage. We can’t have two separate threads so this is probably going to have to be a shared space where all are able to vent, which I don’t think is impossible as long as we accept everyone’s right to their own emotional reaction and that their reaction does, as strong as it might go in the other direction, does not minimise how you feel.
  • I'm not particularly big on the Royals but I didn't mind the Queen. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, we live in a society where we are free to air them, even if you don't agree with them.
  • I'm a royalist at heart but still believe it should be scaled down considerably. I know the Queen, et al, cost the tax payer millions, but the reurn for the country is probably immeasurable in tourism, business and goodwill. That's my view for what it's worth
  • Having a monarchy in the 21st century might seem silly and out of date, but when you elect a head of state, as in USA for example, you never know who you might end up with. Be careful what you wish for.
  • Having a monarchy in the 21st century might seem silly and out of date, but when you elect a head of state, as in USA for example, you never know who you might end up with. Be careful what you wish for.

But you do know, and you have a say in it. None of us have any say in who takes over from the queen, which is insane to me in a 21st century ‘democracy’.
  • alderz said:

But you do know, and you have a say in it. None of us have any say in who takes over from the queen, which is insane to me in a 21st century ‘democracy’.

Nothing insane about it, as others have said the Queen is a figurehead (albeit one that generates huge amounts of tourist revenue for the country) rather than a person of power; we have democratic general elections to elect members of parliament to determine how the country is run.
  • alderz said:

Nothing insane about it, as others have said the Queen is a figurehead (albeit one that generates huge amounts of tourist revenue for the country) rather than a person of power; we have democratic general elections to elect members of parliament to determine how the country is run.
    A figurehead who uses our tax money as hush money to defend her son from sexual assault allegations. Great.
  • That's a different matter entirely, but there's nothing inconsistent with having a royal family and being a democracy imo.
  • No Joke this country would elect Farage as head of state.
  • No Joke this country would elect Farage as head of state.

All he needs is that little mustache.
  • So my whole weekend was maped out .Football,Football, and more Football.Now because the Queen was inconsiderate and died .my wife is getting our daughter and boyfriend round for a meal on saturday.As she said well you have nothing on now ,hate to think what she has planed for sunday . =)
  • steve said:

So my whole weekend was maped out .Football,Football, and more Football.Now because the Queen was inconsiderate and died .my wife is getting our daughter and boyfriend round for a meal on saturday.As she said well you have nothing on now ,hate to think what she has planed for sunday . =)

What! You’re wife is going to bring her boyfriend to have a meal with you. Blimey! :p
  • Could be who knows what she gets upto on weekends in football season =)
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

A figurehead who uses our tax money as hush money to defend her son from sexual assault allegations. Great.
    And your supporting evidence is ........................
  • Casually walks in. Slight pause. Turns around awkwardly and rushes to another thread
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

And your supporting evidence is ........................
    You can google it if you’re interested. But I get the sense that whatever I say isn’t going to be good enough for people who already their minds made up the other way to me, so I’m not going to waste my energy on it.
  • Looks like Trevor Sinclair has just Tweeted himself out of a job

He got sacked by the BBC for being an idiot and now TalkSport are likely to drop him
  • Ridiculous tweet by him especially as he got 150 hours of community service for racially abusing the police when he was stopped for speeding for which he got banned.
  • That's why BBC dropped him
  • Everton game goes ahead at the weekend along with 6 other Prem games

Games below called off:
    Chelsea v Liverpool
    United vs Leeds
    Brighton vs Palace
  • And it's on SKY 2.15 ko.
  • It wasn't originally on Sky, has it replaced one of the postponed games?
  • Yes Man U Leeds was originally scheduled for 2pm 👍🏻
  • edited September 2022
    Whitehorsehammer, Yes it’s replaced Chelsea v Liverpool, originally kicking off at 4.30, but in the 2pm slot (2.15) which was to be Brentford v ‘nal is now kicking off at midday.
  • Brilliant

A consequence of Monday 19th being declared a bank holiday is that loads of NHS operations and appointments have been cancelled. Too many staff are having to take the day off because their kids will be off school and they can't arrange childcare at such short notice

I will be working on Monday, I will get an extra day annual leave to be taken at a later date although when I can take it is anybody's guess as we're so short of drivers that leave requests are being turned down
  • So since the queens death ,All i have seen is convoy of cars and planes going back and fouth all over the country and now the coffin is going in the what seems the biggest cargo plane the RAF has from Scotland to London ,could someone tell me how that could be good for the environment .After we are told to do better
  • Personally feel that the amount of people around the country and way beyond proves that there are more than enough people who want all this to happen, this is history in making.
    I guess people who don’t approve could watch a movie or Netflix….
  • edited September 2022
    That makes it sound like it's a choice of TV channels.

Personally I think it is a more serious issue than that.

There are 2 things going on. Queen's funeral arrangements/reaction to her death.

And Charles acceding to the throne.

I think both things are significant events, and views on each (whatever the range of opinion) are equally of value.

Just saying to those who are on the opposite side of the fence, 'go and watch a different channel' is, imo, like saying that their take on things has no validity. It's a form of cancelling? Don't you think?

There are genuine issues to be debated, and not even all royalists will agree with everything that's going on, surely, Shirley? Is there only one line to take?

Maybe there is an argument for moving the coffin by train ...

• Mrs G, not sure that says anything about the validity of your, or anyone elses, opinion, merely a suggestion should you not wish to view the event then watch something else.

Moving the coffin by train ...... I've used LNER many a time and if possible wouldn't =)
  • Spurs lost so the world is back to how it should be =)