Queen Elizabeth II of the UK dies.

Comments

• Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts.
    Re Tv, the coverage is constant, and that will annoy many, even some royalists, my point was, if they don’t want to watch it they don’t have to 👍🏻
    Respect to all.
  • Expat, maybe we are talking at cross purposes.
    When Steve posted about 'seeing' things, I interpreted it not in the sense of 'watching' things, but 'being aware of' the transport choices and impacts.

If the latter, then it's not about changing the channel, but is about questioning and having a view ( possibly critical) on what is taking place.

:+1:

• Moving the coffin by train ...... I've used LNER many a time and if possible wouldn't =)

I know it is only a light-hearted comment. Obvs there would be a special royal train..

But mightn't it have been an idea to do an FDR, and convey the coffin the length of the country to give more folks what want to the chance to pay their respects, and reduce the carbon footprint at the same time?
    A trick missed, or is much of what Charles purports to espouse not based on a genuine understanding of environmental issues?

Maybe he shouldn't have sacked his advisors so quickly :-¶
  • The fact that people are being arrested for protesting Charles ascension should be scary to everyone. Having an opinion other than the one the Tories want you to have is a crime now? That feels incredibly DPRK to me.
  • "That feels incredibly DPRK to me."

And the prize for "Hyperbole of The Year" goes to alderz.

I'll retract that when those arrested are tied to the end of the barrel of an artillery gun and said gun fired.
  • Have you seen the video of him (Charles) getting staff to move the pen holder thingy while he was signing some papers. It's like...

Move this away please and then pop upstairs and put some toothpaste on my toothbrush.

Then you can have the rest of the day off.

Unless I need you to set out my socks in the correct left foot/right foot alignment.
    #belowmypaygrade

• I’ve finished Netflix.
    Just starting on Prime now.
  • Slacker said:

I’ve finished Netflix.
    Just starting on Prime now.

Then try Britbox, unless you don’t like British content 😜🤔
  • I would not consider myself to have a strong opinion either way regard the monarchy, as I recognise they have little or no power, were there a referendum tomorrow I would not vote nor care about the outcome.

I do think the whole thing has gone a bit crazy and perspective is the casualty. A 96 year old lady has died in what appears to be peaceful circumstances with her family around her. She seemed like a nice enough lady. I am sure it is an enormously sad time for the family and those who knew her well, yet I am sure there is also felt a sense of a loved one being released as anyone who has relatives well into their 90's will testify that things can get quite difficult, although fortunately in the case of the lady in question she did appear to retain relatively good health until recently.

Any idea of her being a special lady, a Queen, is held in place by the ability to take concepts as reality, rather than a relative reality, relative to our willingness to believe in them, if doing that to the extent of waiting in line for eight hours to walk past her coffin I begin to wonder about where we are seated in our evolutionary trajectory just now. It's obviously harmless regard having someone believe in special people rather than just people, but it does concern you that those same people could perhaps be convinced of anything, so narratives in the wrong hands offered to the population at large could have dire consequences. Let's hope that never happens.

• edited September 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Maybe there is an argument for moving the coffin by train ...

If they'd used the Royal Train (privatised by the Tories and now operated by DB Cargo, a subsidiary of German state-owned railway Deutsche Bahn) then thousands of people would have crowded onto the platforms at every station along the ECML from Edinburgh to KX

There wouldn't have been enough station staff to deal with crowds and the risk of an accident would have been huge.

And also the possibility that the last section of the journey from Stevenage to London would have been undertaken by replacement bus service
  • The Environment is a moot point currently with the Ukraine war, we effectively took two steps forward with the Paris Agreement and Biden moving the US back into it and then took one massive step backwards when Russia invaded Ukraine and energy bills went through the roof and we have coal plants being re-opened. Flying the Queens body via plane or train is absolutely miniscule to the wider issue.

Even if you want to portray it as a symbol or tackling environmental issues which Charles advocates for its the weirdest hill to die on in any discussions revolving around the Queens death.

Stopping all the sporting events over the weekend was stupid, whilst i imagine the amount of money was probably already ready to go for the last 20 years or so for the Queens state funeral is in my opinion a total waste of taxpayers money for a grandiose event that makes Britain look like a backward looking country when it advocates for equality / diversity / tolerance and pragmatic thinking. The same with Charles Coronation in the months to come.

The sum of this country should infinitely be bigger than a Queen or King. Its why I detest everything about the UK anthem and Englands adopted Anthem. "God Save the Queen/King" a secular multi-faith / No Faith, nation pleading to God to save one figure in a country of nearly 70 million is a joke but that's just my opinion. (If only Toby Perkins could have got his second reading on his Anthem change bill for England.)

Even when talking to people who I know are in staunch support of the Monarchy it always relates back to some fundamental "Tradition" that Britain holds. A symbol of a bygone era that serves the country little beyond tourists who equate the situation to some Disney sideshow. I don't blame people for clinging onto what they view as British Tradition. You only have to take a look on Social media these days to see that anything that amounts to British tradition is considered "colonial / stolen / Not even British / Negative" etc. For a lot of Brits there is a dwindling sense of there being no British Culture or pride in being British, so I am not surprised they run into the arms of the last bastion of an archaic so called "tradition" in the Monarchy.
  • MrsGrey said:

Maybe there is an argument for moving the coffin by train ...

If they'd used the Royal Train (privatised by the Tories and now operated by DB Cargo, a subsidiary of German state-owned railway Deutsche Bahn) then thousands of people would have crowded onto the platforms at every station along the ECML from Edinburgh to KX

There wouldn't have been enough station staff to deal with crowds and the risk of an accident would have been huge.

And also the possibility that the last section of the journey from Stevenage to London would have been undertaken by replacement bus service
    As so often happens, facts get in the way.
  • "That feels incredibly DPRK to me."

And the prize for "Hyperbole of The Year" goes to alderz.

I'll retract that when those arrested are tied to the end of the barrel of an artillery gun and said gun fired.

Ah yeah, you’re right actually. It’s really normal that people who have different opinions to you are being arrested for expressing them. My bad.
  • Alderz, I actually agreed with the point you were making - except for the DPRK reference.
  • Alderz, I actually agreed with the point you were making - except for the DPRK reference.

And yet you chose to entirely ignore it.
  • I just think it’s got nothing to do with me to be honest. Bit like Love Island really.
  • Slacker said:

I just think it’s got nothing to do with me to be honest. Bit like Love Island really.

The big difference is that Love Island is a TV show, and this is about civil liberty, freedom of speech, the right to protest, and use of tax money on (arguably) unnecessary expenses at a time of severe cost of living and energy crises. I’d say it absolutely has something to do with you, and everyone else who lives in and/or pays taxes in the UK.
  • alderz said:

Alderz, I actually agreed with the point you were making - except for the DPRK reference.

And yet you chose to entirely ignore it.
    Did I? How did you come to that conclusion?
  • Until we have a referendum on whether to abolish the monarchy I’m not interested.
  • then took one massive step backwards when Russia invaded Ukraine and energy bills went through the roof and we have coal plants being re-opened.

Energy bills were going up before Russia invaded Ukraine and less than 5% of UK gas comes from Russia.

Another lie brought to you by the Tory government

In my opinion shouting abuse at a funeral procession, regardless of who is in the coffin or who is walking behind it, is pretty shameful. If you are in a crowd of people who have gathered to pay respect in silence to someone who has died they don't want to hear some selfish muppet bellowing their head off

The right to protest is important but at a funeral? Have a word with yourself

The bloke who got arrested in Edinburgh was lucky the police were there otherwise he'd have got a proper beating off some of the less restrained members of the crowd

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone protesting against the monarchy ends up in hospital before the end of all this and frankly they only have themselves to blame
  • then took one massive step backwards when Russia invaded Ukraine and energy bills went through the roof and we have coal plants being re-opened.

Energy bills were going up before Russia invaded Ukraine and less than 5% of UK gas comes from Russia.

Another lie brought to you by the Tory government

In my opinion shouting abuse at a funeral procession, regardless of who is in the coffin or who is walking behind it, is pretty shameful. If you are in a crowd of people who have gathered to pay respect in silence to someone who has died they don't want to hear some selfish muppet bellowing their head off

The right to protest is important but at a funeral? Have a word with yourself

The bloke who got arrested in Edinburgh was lucky the police were there otherwise he'd have got a proper beating off some of the less restrained members of the crowd

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone protesting against the monarchy ends up in hospital before the end of all this and frankly they only have themselves to blame
    Its not as simple as 5% of gas comes from Russia Urgo prices should not have rocketed, we are in a global economy, Russia's invasion of Ukraine 100% undeniably shot energy prices through the roof, this isn't a lie. Whilst its true Prices were already rising the jump from on average bills at 1k to 2k to 4k is literally down to Russia invading Ukraine.
  • We may be in a global economy but other countries like France have frozen energy bills while the UK bills are allowed to skyrocket

That is purely a decision by the Tory government, nothing to do with Russia. It's a con
  • That's an action chosen by the government in reaction to the prices skyrocketing, that's not the same as the actual Wholesale Cost of actual Crude Oil and Gas skyrocketing due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Freezing Energy bills is literally the tax payer deferring the bill to a later date. As like the proposed tory plan to cap at £2,500 average is essentially dropping 100 billion to essentially bankroll energy companies that will simply be added onto the UK debt. (a whole different debate)
  • edited September 2022
    It's not ' at a funeral ' though, is it. That won't happen until next week.

It's a lavish public spectacle. A ' state display ' of pomp and circumstance. It's not a private family affair, either.

People are being arrested or threatened with it when they are protesting in completely different locations from the coffin...
  • This used to be a place to talk about football and lighthearted matters but its become more about politics and yes if i don't want to read it then don't etc so I have decided I won't anymore I enjoyed it in the days of LGH but think its now time to leave you all to it .
  • Do miss Local
    If anyone is still in contact pls pass on my regards
    He was def one of a kind 👍🏻
  • As P_L_F said I thought this was a forum to discuss WHUFC? Whilst I appreciate I am probably pointing a loaded gun at my foot I have kept quiet on the topics that have been discussed here over the last several days but I can't imagine Robbie Savage taking calls about politics, the Royal Family etc on a "football" radio phone in? People will have differing opinions on non footballing matters but I believe there must be appropriate platforms to discuss such subjects elsewhere. It has been quite disconcerting to view the fallout on here over topics which aren't football related resulting in contributors indicating they are leaving. It would nice if we could close ranks & get back to discussing all matters West Ham but I am unsure we can even agree on that.
  • Slacker said:

I just think it’s got nothing to do with me to be honest. Bit like Love Island really.

Maybe I should clarify, I mean I have no interest in the Royal Family and would gladly abolish the monarchy. The same applies to garbage like Love Island and it’s like.
    I get that a lot of people like it but it’s just not for me.
  • I dont want anyone to leave this site .i enjoy eveyones opion This topic like many will pass. And we can get back to something that will always be on here our beloved team WEST HAM UTD