Queen Elizabeth II of the UK dies.

1235Β»

Comments

• steve said:

I dont want anyone to leave this site .i enjoy eveyones opion This topic like many will pass. And we can get back to something that will always be on here our beloved team WEST HAM UTD

And the transfer thread.πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰
  • Would it not have been an idea to set up a national registry where people could record their condolences and personal memories of interactions with the Queen and make a donation in lieu of flowers.

I am sure that a suitable foundation or trust could have been set up for this purpose.

I certainly consider myself as a royalist but find the laying of thousands of flowers at the gates of a large house or castle to be slightly strange.
  • I would hate for anyone to leave the forum as I am not sure we have a massive group of regular posters and so each person who contributes helps make it what it is. It needs diverse views and personalities to flourish in my view so the more the better.

This said I do think it's good to be able to discuss the big stories of the day among the group. I know this is just another version of 'you don't need read it' but hopefully put a little more nicely and without it being barbed. The forum is set out very well and each subject gets its own thread, I stopped doing wordle a long while back and so just never click on that one, I would just not click on this thread which will be finished within a week. If we managed to survive a Brexit thread on here for what felt like many years, I am sure we can manage opposing views on the monarchy for a couple of weeks.
  • This is a football forum but I think there are plenty of people here who use this forum and community quite a lot, and perhaps don't use other platforms, which might be more suited to politics, for example. There is the Wordle thread, books and TV discussion and the endless fish puns. That means we might have a few discussions that aren't about football and within them might be opposing opinions. This forum is remarkably controlled in the way it discusses football compared to others like it and I don't see why it can't be the same with other issues. I think there's space for all of us to have our views here and be respectful of each other.
  • edited September 2022
    Have you forgotten about the great biscuit war of 2016.

Don't mention Jaffa Cakes 😳
  • But you just did Mrs Grey =)
  • We've had many interesting discussions about clowns over the years.
  • And now you pile in with your divisive comments....
  • MrsGrey said:

Oy vey.

It’s a bargain, already!
  • Hamstew should have sent in the clowns last week, might have averted some of the tension hahaha
  • steve said:

But you just did Mrs Grey =)

She did it once but she thinks she got away with it. πŸ˜‚
  • I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids.

Shakes fist.
  • MrsGrey said:

Oy vey.

MrsGrey said:

Oy vey.

It’s a bargain, already!
    I think these are bordering on mockery of Spuds supporters. Keep it up. =)
  • Not sure what you mean?

Mocking them how?
  • The Yiddish expressions
  • So is any Yiddish expression mocking someone?

Sorry but I must be missing something here πŸ˜‚.
  • I wasn't aiming to mock anyone.
  • I know you weren't. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
  • ❀️
  • edited September 2022
    Interesting article. But focused on which type of aircraft would be used, rather than which type of transport.

Also, because of the shorter distances involved Scotland to England, I'm thinking that the choice of aircraft might also not be limited in the way the article discusses?

So, yes. Interesting. In a hypothetical way.
  • I wonder what the response from Trump, an elected president, might have been cf. that of the Queen's.

I also wonder who's going to pile on to this comment. I'm certain there's at least two, don't disappoint me now. ;)
  • Just saw on the news David Beckham stood in line for 12 hours to pay his respects. Kudos mr. Beckham.
  • I wonder what the response from Trump, an elected president, might have been cf. that of the Queen's.

I also wonder who's going to pile on to this comment. I'm certain there's at least two, don't disappoint me now. ;)

Mate I’m sticking to the old β€œ if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” adage on this royal malarkey.

• edited September 2022
    Credit to Mr Beckham. Understand, for security reasons that MPs can jump the queue, but why should they be allowed 4 guests to do the same. More credit to Beckham as he was offered a guest place by an MP and he refused it. Good man πŸ‘
  • Good to see Phil and Holly apparently using their 'Reporters' privilege to jump the queue though. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
  • A nation in mourning? Maybe, but there's always a side hustle.
    People selling their queue-bands.
    Some never used. How's that for the entrepreneurial spirit.
    I particularly enjoyed ' Something in me from the Queen said to do it'
    🀣
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/17/ebay-queen-lying-in-state-wristband-bids-70k
  • Only a moron would pay 70 grand for a wristband, even if it was made of gold hahaha