West Ham v Arsenal (H): Sunday 1st May 2022; 16:30

edited April 2022 in Match Threads
Another conundrum for Moyes. Rest players for Frankfurt or go full strength for the league points. I'm honestly torn; resting players against Chelsea didn't work as he would have wanted, and with City to come we could really do with something from this game if we want European football next season.

I think we'll see:

Fabianski

Coufal Johnson Zouma Cresswell

Rice Soucek Fornals

Bowen Antonio Vlasic

Post-EL games haven't been very productive for us, and with Arsenal's current form I can't see anything but an away win.

1-3

Comments

• I'm in a Willie Young pulling back Paul Allen type of mood today...
  • I think it'll be a pretty strong side, but I think there will be one or two rested. I think some of the team that played against Chelsea will probably get a bit of a rest - Soucek and Fornals in particular.

Fabianski; Coufal Johnson Zouma Cresswell Masuaku; Noble Rice; Bowen Antonio Benrahma
  • edited April 2022
    I think I'd like to see Rice going back to being further forward in this one. I was one of those who thought maybe we were losing something from Soucek getting forward but I think it's not been enough of a balance, it's just switched to Soucek instead of Rice, and Soucek's timing when he gets into the positions has been off. I also think Rice getting forward helped out our left wing. They're better when they have a triangle between Rice, Cresswell and the left winger to work space if there isn't a cross in. A bit like the play that led to Bowen's overhead kick.

Arsenal just got two big wins but quite a few weren't that impressed with their results and they don't seem to be the same player without Partey. Elneny was supposedly good against Man U but every 3 months he'll have one or two great games that MOTD will analyse and then Arsenal fans hate him again within 7 days. It's time to end this bad streak against them.
  • alderz said:

I think it'll be a pretty strong side, but I think there will be one or two rested. I think some of the team that played against Chelsea will probably get a bit of a rest - Soucek and Fornals in particular.

Fabianski; Coufal Johnson Zouma Cresswell Masuaku; Noble Rice; Bowen Antonio Benrahma

I think similar, except I don’t think Antonio or Zouma will play.
  • alderz said:

I think it'll be a pretty strong side, but I think there will be one or two rested. I think some of the team that played against Chelsea will probably get a bit of a rest - Soucek and Fornals in particular.

I think similar, except I don’t think Antonio or Zouma will play.
    With Dawson being out I'm not sure there is much choice but to play Zouma. I wouldn't be shocked to see Antonio rested though
  • We’ve got to have real go in this. It’s looking very much like it’s between us and Man. U for 6th, plus I would take great delight in shutting up that really,really annoying bloke on the touchline.
  • Slacker said:

We’ve got to have real go in this. It’s looking very much like it’s between us and Man. U for 6th, plus I would take great delight in shutting up that really,really annoying bloke on the touchline.

I don't think we have a real chance of 6th, personally. Man U have a three point advantage with Brentford, Brighton and Palace to come.

With Arsenal, City and our bogey team to come for us, I can't see us getting enough points to get above United, as bad as they've been.

The good news is Wolves' run in includes Chelsea, City and Liverpool so they may not be able to catch us if we can get four points from the rest of our games.
  • It's mad to say we don't have a chance of 6th. We're not picking up loads of points but neither are Man Utd. They are awful right now and can lose to anybody.
  • Slacker said:

We’ve got to have real go in this. It’s looking very much like it’s between us and Man. U for 6th, plus I would take great delight in shutting up that really,really annoying bloke on the touchline.

I don't think we have a real chance of 6th, personally. Man U have a three point advantage with Brentford, Brighton and Palace to come.

With Arsenal, City and our bogey team to come for us, I can't see us getting enough points to get above United, as bad as they've been.

The good news is Wolves' run in includes Chelsea, City and Liverpool so they may not be able to catch us if we can get four points from the rest of our games.
    Please keep those predictions coming.👍

• Looks to me to be that OCS is predicting 7th for us Slacker, what would your prediction be Slacker?
  • edited April 2022
    I’ve learned over the years never to make predictions about West Ham, they have a habit of of making you look like a bit of a mug.😉
  • Unpopular opinion but I really don't want conference league.
  • Hamstew, Even more unpopular would be not winning the Europa League and finishing Eighth IMHO.
  • edited April 2022
    Yep that's fine I respect your opinion and every one else's. I imagine the vast majority will want 7th rather than 8th.
    Personally I want to win the Europa but I think the conference would be a massive drain on our squad for a two bob competition. Just my opinion.
  • I wouldn't mind missing out on conference league if we don't get Europa, to be honest. You can see how much Spurs and Arsenal have benefitted in league from not having Europe (Spurs since Christmas, Arsenal all season).

It's hard at the moment to take the conference league very seriously.
  • I think it shows how far we’ve come and what the expectations are now that a European competition is considered a bit rubbish.
  • I would be completely happy with a Conference League campaign next season, and would much prefer that to no Europe. Yes, teams can benefit from a lack of European football, but honestly I think that we're unlikely to break into the top 6 on a consistent basis unless we get massive investment in the club, so I want us to make the most of being involved in Europe whenever we can.
  • I can't disagree with those who would like us to only have domestic matters to focus on next season but IF you win the Conference League it gets you back into the Europa League. Arsenal & Tottenham have got bigger squads than us atm so have been able to rotate players and go for the Top 4, one of them is going miss out and go into the Europa League next season aren't they. A bigger squad especially from January could have ........?
  • I don’t think we’re in any position to turn our noses up at any form of European football.
  • Fabianski
    Johnson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Coufal - Noble - Rice - Fornals
    Vlasic - Benrahma
    Bowen
  • I'm sure us Hammers fans were singing "Thursday night, Channel 5" towards clubs in the Europa not so long ago.
  • Lawro goes 1-2 and Sky 0-2.
  • edited April 2022
    IronHerb said:

I'm sure us Hammers fans were singing "Thursday night, Channel 5" towards clubs in the Europa not so long ago.

Potentially but not me. I’ve long been envious of seeing sides like Burnley & Stoke play in Europe whilst we battle relegation.
  • edited April 2022

It's mad to say we don't have a chance of 6th. We're not picking up loads of points but neither are Man Utd. They are awful right now and can lose to anybody.

They can, but they're also capable of digging out points, as the point against Chelsea proved. Yes, they're nowhere near as good as they used to be, but they have more points than us and a more favourable run-in. I'd much rather be in their situation than ours.

Of course we have a chance of 6th, but I don't think it's realistic. A win against Arsenal would go some to getting it, but I don't think that's realistic either with the respective form of the sides.
  • We have Norwich & Brighton in our last 3. They have to be 6 points. Do that & top is ours. This game would give us a top 6 chance with a win.
  • edited April 2022
    The Europa conference may prove a more viable route into the Europa than top 6. It's hard enough at present but you would expect Man United to improve next year and it's quite possible Newcastle will throw enough cash at it to at least put them in the mix also.

Leicester who are not playing as well as ourselves this year are at the semi-final stage and so could possibly end up winning it and demonstrating this theory.

• Well I did say it was an unpopular opinion. But I stand by it.
    Anyway back on subject.
    Arsenal? Erm......
    LOSS!
  • I just feel it may be the difference between keeping Rice another year & not, some form of European Football.
  • Rice won't be swayed by the conference league imo.
  • I think he might if it's Conference League and an impressive transfer window.

But I actually think the latter is more important as it'll give Rice an idea as to whether our medium- to long-term ambition matches his.