West Ham v Arsenal (H): Sunday 1st May 2022; 16:30

14567810»

Comments

• A win today for Man Utd & that’s top 6 gone.
  • The rumour is Moyes gave Sullivan a list of players and Sullivan did not manage to sign any of them by his usual tactics of under bidding etc. hopefully Newman will handle transfers bids go8ng forward
  • The rumour is Moyes gave Sullivan a list of players and Sullivan did not manage to sign any of them by his usual tactics of under bidding etc. hopefully Newman will handle transfers bids go8ng forward

Yea im sure that was the case but if he wanted Darwin Nunez who costs £60mil or upwards that's just never going to happen

Then it's on Moyes to adjust his targets to someone we can afford or take the risk, he chose the latter and while I commend him it hasnt worked out

Also thank god for Zoumas form as the summer 21 window has been terrible other than him
  • I find it odd that Moyes doesn’t play Vlasic when he decides to rotate the squad
  • Lukerz said:

I find it odd that Moyes doesn’t play Vlasic when he decides to rotate the squad

Think its because Moyes doesn't trust him
  • edited May 2022
    I've said it before, but as much as we've been told to trust Moyes’s judgement with transfers, I have my doubts.

Vlasic and Kral clearly aren't trusted, but Moyes signed off on both of those deals. Areola hasn't let us down at all when he's played, but can't dislodge Fabianksi from the PL side (would Areola have kept out Gabriel's header yesterday?). Looking further back, there was the £10m outlay on Jordan Hugill.

Granted, not every signing is going to work out, but as Champo says, Zouma aside, our main signings last summer haven't really threatened the first team at all.

Bowen, Soucek, Coufal, Lingard and Zouma were obviously good signings, but Moyes does drop a few balls along the way.
  • Every manager drops a few clangers but look at Everton 500mio plus on transfers to turn them into relegation candidates Moyes has done the opposite for a lot less money
  • edited May 2022
    Well, yeah, some managers have done worse with more, but my point stands.

We can't afford another summer where most of our main signings don't improve the first team.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham-united/top-scorers

I see Fornals has played 50 games this season more than any other player
  • Well, yeah, some managers have done worse with more, but my point stands.

We can't afford another summer where most of our main signings don't improve the first team.

Have you got any managers in mind whose signings aren’t a mix of hits and misses?

I can’t think of any. Klopp and Guardiola seem to get most right but they have stupid money to spend. And I’m sure there are a few dodgy ones that both have signed who came and left quietly without making any impact.
  • “The world’s greatest manager” aka Ferguson “he could’ve been killed “ made some absolute howlers and not cheap howlers either.
    It happens.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham-united/top-scorers

I see Fornals has played 50 games this season more than any other player

That's not enough goals and assists for 50 games

Needs to do more as he regularly starts at LW, for us to get top 4 you got to be hitting a goal or assist every 3 games not every 5

He obviously contributes in other areas but still needs to do better, he has the ability

Even though he's among the fittest in the squad, sure his form struggles have also been influenced by physical/mental fatigue
  • P_L_F, Wasn't Newman up and running for us in the last window so I can't understand why he didn't have a greater input/impact on our transfers in January?
  • I think that it’s not wrong to say we need more hits than misses this summer, and also accepting that everyone makes some transfer errors.

There’s no doubt we need signings this summer - particularly in central midfield and up front, but also at left back and probably at least one attacking midfielder. I’m not expecting everyone we sign to end up being a brilliant signing. But if we make 5 signings and only 2 of them hit, then that’s a real issue for our ambitions next season. Particularly when you factor in that some of the players leaving (Noble, Yarmolenko) are the ones that Moyes does trust to turn to
  • Well, yeah, some managers have done worse with more, but my point stands.

Have you got any managers in mind whose signings aren’t a mix of hits and misses?

I can’t think of any. Klopp and Guardiola seem to get most right but they have stupid money to spend. And I’m sure there are a few dodgy ones that both have signed who came and left quietly without making any impact.
    Where have I said that there are mangers that get it right every time? My point to PLF is that there are managers that have made more clangers than Moyes having spent more money.

But that doesn't change the fact that Moyes need to do better this summer than he did last summer in terms of signing players that positively affect the first team.
  • Slacker said:

“The world’s greatest manager” aka Ferguson “he could’ve been killed “ made some absolute howlers and not cheap howlers either.
    It happens.

I know it happens. Every manager has and will drop a clanger or two.

My point is that where we have such a small squad, we, arguably more than anyone, need to get more right than wrong. And last summer we evidently didn't.
  • Maybe wait until the end of the season before making that statement.
  • I think we are in unusual territory. Haven't challenged for Europe in consecutive seasons for ages. I get Moyes' conundrum:

Need to attract players who can play in Europe and be competitive. Those players might not see us as offering regular European football. Signing that type of player needs massive resource but we are not generating regular revenue from Europe. Our owners are only mega rich rather than multi billionaires.

We need to establish ourselves at this new level and see if we can unearth some players that might not be on others radar. It needs extreme research, care and patience and it's not an exact science.
  • K don’t
    Slacker said:

Maybe wait until the end of the season before making that statement.

I think it’s undeniable that our signings did not work. The success of the squad is because of the players that were already here. A good season (we definitely have had one) does not mean the summer automatically was a success (it definitely wasn’t).
  • If we win the Europa League and finish in the top 5/7 or even 8th that tells me that we had a successful summer.
  • Deanscaleshammer, I believe we need to be trying to sign the players that are also on the radar of the “Big Six” otherwise we will slip behind them. I also reckon we have shown more than enough patience and this summer we need to be showing more action & less words.
  • Top 7 meaning Europe next season is a successful season. Anything outside of that is a good season. The Europa League run has inflated the season to a new level because even if we finished bottom half we’d be buzzing because of our Europa run. Ultimately, consistency of league position is what leads to longer term success so that top 7 finish is the most important in terms of moving us on again next season.
  • Slacker said:

If we win the Europa League and finish in the top 5/7 or even 8th that tells me that we had a successful summer.

Do you really not think the two things can be true? I said before the season started I wanted top half and I wanted Europe after Christmas. I think it’s a successful season. Regardless, I don’t think we had a good transfer window last summer.
  • Like everyone else I wanted all the new players to work out of course, but because some haven’t it’s proved by what we’ve achieved that is wasn’t the end of the world.
    We have had another wonderful season so to me the proof is in the pudding.
  • Slacker, But the custard has been lumpy at times.
  • That’s because we’re West Ham and not Man. City.
  • I think it has been a wonderful season but if the signings had worked out better, it could have been a more wonderful season. I know it sounds like I'm being greedy but chances like this don't come along very often for us.
  • Haven’t we now got Manchester City’s old transfer guru now? 😉
  • edited May 2022

Haven’t we now got Manchester City’s old transfer guru now? 😉

Unfortunately not his old budget though