West Ham v Arsenal (H): Sunday 1st May 2022; 16:30

Comments

• Only positive is it keeps Spurs out of top 4.
  • I've had to tone down my disgust as I have my young niece and nephew here but I put a curse on all their Arsenal houses!
  • Still would rather Arsenal get top 4 than Spurs
  • Thought we gave it a good go in 1st half, but 2nd half offered little, Ramsdale hardly had a save to make.
    Not a bad game or performance, just not good enough to get anything today.

On to Thursday....COYI.
  • Am I imagining it but can Antonio actually jump because he’s beaten in the air in the penalty area every time.
  • I never want to hear Alan Smith commentate on any of our games ever again. Such a one eyed so and so.
  • Horrible result versus a horrible team, really disappointing Sunday. It’s a lesser of three evils but let’s hope Tottenham get fourth place just to wipe the smile off “Arseteta’s smug face.
  • It’s such a shame Arteta is in charge of this Arsenal team. With a group of young English players coming through, and a good style of play they could be a very likeable team. But he’s decided to turn them into some kind of knock off Mourinho’s Chelsea.
  • I think we just can't cope with two competitions at once and we are certainly not the first to find that. Our results after Euro games have been really poor. We also have some players really out of form in Fornals, Antonio and I would add Cresswell to that now as well. The only consolation is that neither ourselves, Man Utd or Wolves are showing top 6 form so we may still have a shout at 6th or 7th.

As we said after Brentford however, win the match on Thursday and we won't even remember what happened this afternoon against Arsenal.
  • We have been really poor. Chelsea weren't even that good and neither were Arsenal. Poor result against Burnley and shredded by Brentford.

Still would rather Arsenal get top 4 than Spurs

Sorry, but after that display by Arsenal, I want Spuds to take 4th. Disgraceful cheating performance.
  • We are not good enough to be truthful. Manzini and Benrhama create little in any game they play and once again you could see Rice getting really frustrated when he has the ball and all around him are standing still.
    We have had no intensity in any of our last dozen games or so except the one in Lyon
  • I really hope Spurs stuff em when they play.

I don’t know about that. I think I would still want Arsenal to take 4th over Spurs. Although it’s getting a much closer call.
  • Thursday and next Sunday are important games as I can see a mauling coming against City and we never get anything out of Brighton.
  • Has Johnson picked up another knock?
  • Thursday and next Sunday are important games as I can see a mauling coming against City and we never get anything out of Brighton.

Well we have Norwich first & when does any side maul us?
  • Lukerz said:

Has Johnson picked up another knock?

Yeah, he has a fair few for a young 'un, doesn't he.
  • edited May 2022
    Lukerz, None usually but with the title race as it is City need a good healthy addition to their goal difference hence the way they went full out against Leeds.
    Plus despite all the sound bites from our squad about how they look forward to every game and look to win them, performances recently have not borne that out as they never seem to start with any intensity or conviction. Defeats and draws in games are not good foundations.
    Earlier in the season we were putting 3 and 4 game runs of wins together but now we struggle to win at all. We haven’t won an away PL game since 1 Jan and we haven’t won a home PL game for weeks.

Still would rather Arsenal get top 4 than Spurs

Sorry, but after that display by Arsenal, I want Spuds to take 4th. Disgraceful cheating performance.
    Each time their own

One match doesnt all of a sudden make me hate Arsenal more than Spurs, they had shades of athletic but they did what they needed to do

Also looking at the big pictures

Arsenal (if they get top 4) will do it by the skin of their teeth with a small squad that is getting smaller with contracts expiring, they will fall away with the extra games

Also I think Conte leaves Spurs of they come 5th, and that is a massive blow for them

If Spurs get top 4 then conte probably takes them to where they want to go
  • Typical - just when we have lost Dean Smith and Sean Dyche from the league 👍, Arteta and his team turn up to become the target for my vitriol 👎. Horrible team with horrible tactics.
    Hopefully no knocks today. On to Thursday……..⚒
  • Thought we were the better team in the first half but went very flat in the second, a long long season is starting to tell I think.Once more into the breach on Thursday.

As a footnote why does no official ever pick up Arteta for running down the touchline? I mean what’s the point of the technical zone?
  • Just had to say i also cant stand Arteta,Just wish he would go back under the rock he came from
  • I think it’s crazy to say “we’re not good enough” or we “can’t cope with two competitions”. We’re seventh in the league. We’ve finished 7th or higher five times since the Premier League began - including the Payet season that everyone talks about as if we finished in top four. The season Leicester played Champions League they finished 12th. The year Burnley were in they finished 15th.

This idea we’re somehow underperforming in the league when we’re only behind the six Super Rich League teams is ridiculous imo.
  • alderz, The bar has been raised somewhat and we should have been better prepared to be able to cope but weren’t due to poor transfer windows in the last year.
  • alderz, The bar has been raised somewhat and we should have been better prepared to be able to cope but weren’t due to poor transfer windows in the last year.

If you think the bar has been raised beyond the bar set by the top six - as in the teams with literal billion pound squads - then fair enough. But personally I think that’s an insane bar to set a club with our recent history and budget.
  • If I remember rightly, Arsenal spent more money than anyone else in the world last summer. And they’re resorting to rolling around on the floor against us. I’m so angry right now
  • edited May 2022
    Lukerz said:

Also, that Bowen yellow was a joke & he should not just be accepting that. No contact but clearly endangering a player with a studs up challenge when he was not going to get the ball. Should have been a foul.

Exactly. What is Bowen meant to do, just carry on running and risk serious injury? It was a reckless, out of control challenge. If the situation was reversed, you can be sure that Fab would have been red-carded.
  • We are 7th and whatever the season will be a good one, but we were 4th with a thin squad at the end of December and a chance to kick on, with how flaky everyone around us has been, even a small amount of quality opens the door for us, Spuds were hopeless but their Jan signings have been enough to lift the team into CL contention, its a predictable missed opportunity even in a great season
  • In my mind a season where we reach the semi final of major cup competition, will probably end up 7th or 8th after flirting with the top four is a pretty good season.

Compared to most other seasons, even those where we ended up comfortably mid table, it is a remarkable season, given that even in those mid table seasons, in most cases we flirted with the bottom three at some point which saw us looking over our shoulder.

Still happy to be a Hammer

COYI
  • Also everyone above us escaped with hardly any punishment for trying to destroy football, still annoys me