American Election Discussion

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

*more on that later

Now, let's look at the early voting window, in North Carolina.

I'm not sure what problem, or fraud, or whatever anomaly, was identified as being perpetrated in the early voting window. And why reducing it from 17 to 10 days would solve whatever that problem was. (Any info gratefully received on this topic maybe it was a cost thing ;hmm .)

Anyway.

N. Carolina did some data gathering. They collected information on who use the early-voting window, and at what points, then broke this information down by racial grups.

what periods of the 17-day early voting window. The data showed that whites used it much less than African-Americans overall. Also, that for the African-Americans this difference was particularly marked in the 1st week of that period, as well as the 2 Sundays - it was common for 'black' churches to organise buses on the 2 Sundays to take people to vote. I

So, what did North Carolina do?

Go on. Guess.

The bill legislated to reduce the length of the window - from 17 to 10 days.
    It eliminated thereby one of the Sundays avalaible for early voting.

So tell me - what problem did that solve?

And did it CAUSE more problems for white voters or non-white voters.
  • Mrs G before i can comment i would like to know if the banned id's were picture id's the article conveniently does not say or provide a link, as i said you can get an id from the DMV so i dont see this as an issue.

NE i am glad you value my opinion, seems to me Obama has moved it the most recently over to you...
    ;wink
  • edited January 2017
    simon, I didn't really bother with the article - l followed the link to the court judgement. That way, one doesn't get misled by reporting bias or selective facts.

I don't know the full range of which IDs were banned and preferred, but at least one form of 'banned' IDs was a photo ID, based on the text of the court document.

• Is this Salmon & Sturgeon's nightmare scenario ... Trump
  • Mrs G looks like in NC you are right i was wrong to confuse that judgement with Illinois where id is not required.
    i dont see an issue with requiring all adults over 18 to have a valid government issued id to vote.
    That just seems logical to me
  • Dodger, that is one of those images that I wish we had the power to simply delete once seen, I happen to like salmon, in fact I was truly planning on salmon steaks this evening,

However

I think I will now have to revert to sausages, chips and beans

And there is nowt wrong with that, (as my mancunian father would say)
  • My apologies Chicago, I too love fish, haddock this evening
  • Dodger, that is one of those images that I wish we had the power to simply delete once seen, I happen to like salmon, in fact I was truly planning on salmon steaks this evening,

However

I think I will now have to revert to sausages, chips and beans

And there is nowt wrong with that, (as my mancunian father would say)

It's funny how all these people take so long to out themselves as northerners ;hmm

Time to build a wall, I think, Grey.
  • Born in Stockport, so perhaps guilty, but not sure how much influence I had on move to Essex when I was 6 months old !!
  • Can we do away with the "US + UK" special relationship...
  • Born in Ormskirk, on the road between Liverpool and Southport, as per Dodger, I had no say in the matter as I was not even three when the family relocated to Essex.

Father from Manchester, Mother from Liverpool, the allegiances are such that the only thing I can say with certainty is that there is no blue blood in my family ;wink

Until I discovered the famous Claret and Blue of course ;ok
  • Looks like Mum and Dad went for neutral ground
  • Definitely in my case, one Yorkshireman one Lancastrian, luckily Stockport was in Cheshire when I arrived.
  • edited January 2017
    simonc said:

Mrs G looks like in NC you are right i was wrong to confuse that judgement with Illinois where id is not required.
    i dont see an issue with requiring all adults over 18 to have a valid government issued id to vote.
    That just seems logical to me

It doesn't seem logical to me.

Each citizen has aright to vote. Why should the state restrict that right? And even more, why should it be a government-issued ID?

On to the wider issue: leaving aside that there is really no voter fraud going on at anything like a large scale...

1. Having a photo ID to vote would prevent only 1 type of fraud: voter impersonation. So Fred Smith turns up to vote only to be told he can't because someone saying they were Fred Smith has already voted in their place. That's a single vote. And it might not even have made a difference.

2. If the issue is to stop people voting who have no right to vote (illegal - and presumably legal - immigrants, although it seems for some reason, can't imagine what that might be, it is only the former category that get mentioned), then it is at the level of voter registration where procedures perhaps need to be tightened up, so that those not entitled to can't get on the voting register.

But I repeat, there's no evidence that there is much voter fraud going on.

And, here's the kicker for those of the 'but it might be, you have to prove it isn't' persuasion ... studies were done actively looking for instances of fraudulent voting. And they found almost none.
  • edited January 2017
    MrsGrey said:

*more on that later

Here's another thing that was in that Bill

A lot of people get their drivers licence when they are still too young to vote. So there they are, aged 17 at the DMV, where its all nice and simple to register to vote while you are getting your state-sanctioned form of ID. That's what the state wants you do do, it's their preferred method.

But, only 17. So, a sensible thing - let the person register to vote, but the registration is 'post-dated' and doesn't come into effect until they turn 18. Meanwhile, the admin processes are completed that ensure the young driver isn't an illegal immigrant. Or dead. ;wink

So far so sensible. But, can you guess which race uses this form of registration the most? Ah, ya will. Go on. Go on.

The system as it stood was disproportionately used by African-Americans.

So, North Carolina decided to abolish it.

Now, tell me what voter fraud is being prevented?

And, since the answer will be NONE, suggest a reason why the state goverment might want to end pre-registration?
  • MrsGrey. Are you using facts again...now now. We need to use the alternative facts in instance like this.
  • edited January 2017
    Actually, I was thinking about voter ID.

Imagine if they tried to introduce it in the UK (and specifically a govt-issued photo ID). There'd be uproar. What would be valid - passport, driver's licence? Anything else?

There must be many people who have neither.

• Simonnc: I have to commend your guts in defending the trump message so stoutly in the face of so much anti-Trump posting. I disagree with you almost 100% but I totally defend your right to express your views. PS I'll respect you even more when you actually admit that you disagree with something - anything - the President does or says. ;ok And yes that applies to the anti-Trumpers too, in a vice-versa way of course. Maybe we need a Good Things Trump is Doing thread? ;wink
  • Maybe we need a Good Things Trump is Doing thread? ;wink

He is looking to stimulate the construction industry in the US with a large building project he has planned.....

• Is it his new Syrup ??
  • I might be moving to Manchester later in the year. I can still be a West Ham fan if I move, right? ;puzzled
  • No.

;lol

Of course ;hug
  • Will you have to change your name?
  • No, I already have name that is familiar with the North...hahahaha
  • edited January 2017
    So legal permanant residents of the US, with jobs, families, friends. A life, basically. Without being arrested or even charged with a crime, never mind convicted of anything.

If they were out of the country when Trump signed the executive order, aren't going to be allowed back for 3 months. They are excluded from their homes. Kept apart from their families. Can't go back to work or school. Marooned in whatever country they were visiting.

And any legal residents can now not travel abroad for work or leisure. Because they won't be allowed back in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-greencard-idUSKBN15C0KX

Disgraceful.
  • Mr Trump signed the order on Friday, which was International Holocaust Remembrance Day.....
  • I suppose they should just be grateful they weren't interned.