Latest Injury (and Recovery!) Mews

Comments

• Also, if known, how many minutes the pair played? Thanks!
  • Sakho played for 60 mins. We won 3-2.
  • TBH I think his body is not suited to how he wants to play Football.

I think when we do get him back we need to limit his natural impulse to cover the pitch and come to defend etc.

Reduce his workload during the game, Elephants don't run little cheetahs....
  • Grey, McHammer: thanks for the reponses. ;ok
    Hopefully this means Reid is good to go against Man Utd, and Sakho continues building up his fitness towards rejoining the first team.

Regarding Carroll, I initially read the bullet points in that c&h link as being 0's, in that he was doing zero training in any regard. I am not a smart man. Again with him, hoping he's back firing on all cylinders (and can maintain it) soon.
  • This will be Sakho's last season with us. We can't sell him this window and we're not going to renew his contract, I'm sure.

It's a shame but we'll be better for it since we will be able to get someone in who can actually play games.
  • I think you're likely right Adam. Such a shame as I used to really rate him and enjoyed watching him, but he's been injured more than Carroll for the last few years and has had problems off the pitch too. With no signs of a new contract (which is prob right, unless he's amazing when he comes back and the injury issues are gone [obviously immensely unlikely]) and nobody seemingly wanting to buy he'll be with us for this season, whether he plays or not, then leaves on a free.
  • edited August 2017
    Source is CH so pinch of salt but hopefully...

IMG_1299

(Edit by MrsG. To help those who struggle to read that, it says Lanzini, Arnie and Cresswell are good to go. )
  • Andy Carroll is reportedly undergoing gruelling double sessions of fitness work to get him back into shape ahead of the new Premier League season, according to reports.

Under the watchful new West Ham of new head of medical services Gary Lewin, the injury-plagued frontman - who won't be fit for the start of the season - is undergoing a tough regime, pushing him to the absolute maximum with double training, fitness sessions and "punishing gym work" which is hoped will discover where he injury problems are coming from.
    Although, it doesn't actually say who is reporting it...

http://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/andy-carroll-undergoing-brutal-training-13444553
  • Antonio and new Montenegran signing to play in U23 match against Everton on Friday, so presumably Sakho won't be playing or would have been mentioned:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/august/09-august/antonio-haksabanovic-feature-pl2-opener
  • Good news re. Antonio. Ready for some 1st team minutes in our 1st home game, maybe? ;pray
  • He is hoping to be ready for Saints next week.
  • ;nonono

I think that will be a bit optimistic.
  • So do I what he hopes for and what he gets are not necessarily one and the same.
  • Antonio and Haksabonavic are scheduled to play in the PL2 game at home to Everton on Friday evening.
  • Standard saying Lanzini is out for our first 2 games ;weep
  • so if Lanzini is out he joins the list of Antonio,Carroll, Kouyote.plus perhaps Reid and Sahko who might not be match fit, Nothing like having a fit squad to hit the ground running ;weep
  • Sam Inkersole (West Ham writer for football London, who was in Germany with West Ham) said Lanzini was fine the whole time he was not playing friendlies. He said he was walking without a limp and training. He said he was mystified as to why he was not playing, but perhaps it was just not to risk him. So are the Standard saying that as a deduction from his not playing the last friendlies? Or do they have real info? If Sam is right, are the club making sure he doesn't get injured so he's fit for Man U or so we can sell him if he doesn't agree a new deal or if Liverpool come in with an amazing offer...

Sounds like he's close to accepting a new deal which sees his weekly salary rise from 30k to 85k, so hopefully that'll keep him with us and hopefully the resting was just a precaution. But it's all a bit mysterious...
  • I think some people are trying too hard to find something mysterious in something very innocuous.
  • Of course - life's more interesting like that!

But it's not me who's declared this a mystery. It's Sam Inkersole, who spends his life following West Ham and was with the squad in Germany. It makes for interesting football gossip, which is what the summer is about, no? ;)
  • There's many a niggle, knock and 'a bit sore' which means you can walk around perfectly well, but as soon as you start to run, it hurts more and you can 'feel it'. And therefore which need to be rested. You need look no further than my right hamstring ;wink

Unless Inkersole is a doctor/physio and actually took a case history and examined Lanzini (or saw the scans) I think I'll eschew the conspiracy theories on this one. ;biggrin
  • edited August 2017
    http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/august/11-august/gary-lewin-building-blocks-are-place-season-ahead

Key points:

1. Cresswell had a knock, 'will be available for the weekend'.

2. Antonio trained all week with the first team, if there are no probs after the U23 game tonight will 'train fully' next week and be available for selection next weekend.

3. Cheikhou Kouyate + Lanzini - both 'close to joining in full training' and 'hope both will be available before the international break'

4. Sakho - no problems after paying in the U23 game. Has trained for a full week. Next steps: get him some match time.

5. ' Andy Carroll has stepped up his rehab.. we are hoping to have him back in full training in the near future... things can change, but we are looking at days not weeks ...'

Everybody else is ok.

• Match report for the U23s says Antonio played about an hour, and looked sharp.
  • Andy Carroll has stepped up his rehab!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha !! That's a good one.

How on earth can he be injured he hardly ever plays a game of football.

It's like me working for a company and never turning up for work but the company still paying me as I could be good if I could be bothered to turn up.
  • Does anyone know what actually is Carroll's problem?
  • Is it he's a Geordie?
  • I wish we really knew what was wrong with him.
    However he has so long out most players could recover from broken legs etc and still come back before he is available.
    It does not make sense that he can be out of the side for such very long periods if he just has strains etc.
  • Hutton, that's why I asked the question. It just doesn't make sense. Unless I missed it we've never been told what is wrong with him. Most clubs announce the nature of the injury to their players I think. As far as I remember Carroll went of with something not very significant in April was it? and here we are after a full summer we are now almost into September. Nearly 5 months. There has to be more to all of this.