Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• Fee is going to be paid in installments and we also owe Marseille still from the original purchase, so that is going to be deducted from the agreed fee.
  • I don’t think Slav helped by constantly telling the world that Payet was our best player. I was never comfortable with it as I felt it undermined the other players, and in hindsight it may well have added to Payet’s ‘untouchable’ attitude.
  • I don't like the way the club made it about Payet a lot of the time, BUT, let's be honest here, he was our best player. It's not like people didn't know it.

We all love Di Canio, but supposedly he was treated differently to the rest of the squad and was allowed to be on the winning team in training. We let that slide though because he didn't break our hearts.
  • OCS, wholeheartedly agree with you there
  • I don't know Aldz, I think 'best' is too easy. I mean, he wasn't best at tackling, or tracking back, or doing the hard graft that isn't pretty but entirely necessary.

Payet was our most technically gifted player, that's probably true, but to be labelled our best player, particularly this season, I think belittles the efforts of the rest of the squad.
  • ;wave

David Gold ‏@davidgold 9h9 hours ago
    West Ham UNITED Football club is stronger today than it was yesterday. dg
  • It would be fun to play them in Europe, the new Payet song being sung by 60k people......
  • looking forward to when this thread disappears off the first page. The vindictive part of me wants him to be a complete waste of 25M and go downhill rapidly after a 6 month injury ;whistle He treated us like something on the bottom of his shoe and deserves nothing positive back IMO

• It would be nice if he used his Twitter account to make some comment of thanks or appreciation to WH / Fans....

You know just a short "sorry it ended like this but family comes first" a bit of class to draw a line under it.
  • OCS ;ok

That's very true. You can't say objectively who is the 'best' player, but largely people tend to suggest that the players with 'x' factor who do something and unexpected to win games are often the best players in teams.
  • For me it was only ever a stepping stone for him , I bet he wasn't on anywhere
    near 100k when he left them for us ;doh

I year in England made him a big name player made him for life imo .

we move on and learn that keep extending and uplifting wages doesn't always pay off..
  • For me it was only ever a stepping stone for him , I bet he wasn't on anywhere
    near 100k when he left them for us ;doh

I year in England made him a big name player made him for life imo .

we move on and learn that keep extending and uplifting wages doesn't always pay off..

I'm not sure how going back to the club you came from is a stepping stone.

According to the interwebby thing the season before he joined he was on 4.2m Euros, roughly £70k pw but that was due to drop to 3m Euros/£50k pw as Marseille had failed to qualify for Europe
  • edited January 2017
    Made to repay his January salary according to the Evening Standard before being allowed to leave, which he did.
  • Not heard of a club doing this before, esp selling a player in the Jan window and offering a refund/exchange ;thumbsup
  • You realise you have to pay £25 for the new shirt?
  • Yeah that confuses me a bit. How much do the shirts cost in the first place?
  • IronHerb said:

You realise you have to pay £25 for the new shirt?

Yes, but I get a shirt that is actually worth wearing. Anyone wearing a Payet shirt now is going to cop serious stick from any opposition supporters.
  • Shirts cost £50-55 without printing.
  • Think there around 50-55 these days
  • You'd be paying £25 for a shirt that would normally cost £45-£50. Presumably once everyone has traded in their Payet shirts there'll be a ceremonial bonfire out by the bins...
  • Were £60, reduced to £40.

Wouldn't know what the likely cost price is, I've been out of the rag trade for over 25 years
  • I think the shirts are now in the sale? A third off.
  • There is currently 30% off shirts so you can pick up a home shirt for £36.66/£40.00.
    Away shirts are still £55.00/£60.00. (short sleeve/long sleeve)
  • Not heard of a club doing this before, esp selling a player in the Jan window and offering a refund/exchange ;thumbsup

Some clubs have definitely done it when squad numbers have changed. Not sure about transfers.

• Were £60, reduced to £40.

Wouldn't know what the likely cost price is, I've been out of the rag trade for over 25 years

Well whoever made it would've cost maximum $5 for the hour. Not sure the material's that expensive.

I guess £25 isn't a bad price in comparison to full but I think the club must still be making some profit from them.
  • ;ok

Normally before the season has started or early doors

Not seen it before in Jan

I think it's a good move.
  • ;ok

Normally before the season has started or early doors

Not seen it before in Jan

I think it's a good move.

Fancy a run of sales of 'Ravel 15' for some reason... ;hmm
  • 14 if you believe his tweets ;ok