Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• And in loafers too.....
  • I guess this is why Payet never really moved to a better club was that at his age he wouldn't have a huge resale value

Yes in new todays market £30mil is a rip off but he is turning 30 soon so is only going to get worse so selling him for £28mil may be best case for everyone even if I don't think Hogan + Snodgrass are worth one Payet but if he's not gonna play te we must make a bad situation as good as possible
  • I am really pleased (if a little surprised) at the clubs stance to date.

"We don't want to sell him so if you want him you have to stump up 30mil".

Sticking to that must have been hard as clubs never really win anymore if a player wants out.

I'm proud of the DDs but are we now moving into the cut ya nose of to spite your face territory?
  • Exactly that Suze ;ok There's principles, and I admire that, but I see no benefit if it ends up costing us £28m
  • What's 4 million among friends....
  • The price of any good or commodity is ultimately what the market will bear.
    £26 mill is that price at the moment.There are no other bids.
    The Daves have to decide if he is for sale at that price. Yes or No
    Simples
  • I think 30m was already at the bottom of our valuation and if we look at what we are being asked to pay for people then surely 30m for Payet is more than reasonable. It appears they have made him their marquee target so will not want to leave him behind so in my view hold your nerve Daves and get your 30m late on the final day.
  • So push back on Dimi and say, you put in a Transfer request so no cut for you and we'll agree. Otherwise you are stating put ...

The "loyalty bonus" still rankles ...
  • If we take below £30m, I hope the club stick in a punitive sell-on clause.
  • If we take less than 30m pounds (certainly not euros) then I'd feel as if OM picked our pockets. They will probably feel delighted if they can get him for anything below 35m.
  • Munich, don't forget we only paid them 10m for him and we have got his best ever season out of him. If anyone has had their pockets picked it is OM.
  • SSN reporting we've agreed a deal to sell him and he's on his way for a medical
  • He better pass it.
  • He's got a bad back, there's no way he will pass the medical. ;yercoat
  • I'll venture that on his away across the Chanel it makes a miraculous recovery ;biggrin
  • I guess this will signal the Hogan deal to be completed after. Probably a Deadlineday thing for the drama the Daves like.
  • edited January 2017
    Rav and his yellow tie ;wahoo
  • WG3JXSL7KECC_1

It's nearly time ;wahoo
  • edited January 2017
    It's for the best.

Just a shame we went from he's 'not for sale - full stop' to caving in just before the close.
  • I don't think we've caved.

I think we've been pragmatic.
  • edited January 2017
    We could not have kept him though, could we Luke.

I think the club made a stand but there is no point cutting offf your nose to spite your face.
  • This is the Sky who said agreement was miles away only yesterday?

Bloke on KUMB said agreement was reached Friday and it's around £23m.
  • If he does go and indeed for a figure well below £30m - I don't think you truly can say the club have made any sort of a stand. Dropping him and making him train with the reserves is not making a stand IMO. The definition of making a stand is what WBA did with Saido (IMO).

All the Dave's have done is enter into intense haggling.

I'm not knocking them because there are probably rights and wrongs whichever way they go with this. They are really between a rock and a hard place.
  • After meeting with Marseille manager Rudi Garcia, reported Manchester United target Lassana Diarra has refused to play for the club this month. (L’Equipe)
  • Shall we offer €2m? ;whistle
  • Simple fact was Payet was never going to play for us again, even if he apologised the fans and his teammates have turned on him

So what do you do? Hold out for a £30mil bid that never arrives or gradually see his valuation fall (remember Tottenham bid close to £30mil for Berahino)

I think we've been ripped off but it does us no good having a £80k a week player worth £25mil sitting in the u23s simple as

Get him out the door and bring in Hogan, an English man who hopefully takes his big break with both hands like the championship quartet of Antonio, Cresswell, Randy and now even Byram have done
  • Champo ;ok Great point re Berahino. Stoke's stance (stubbornness?) cost them, what, £10-15m?

There was a part of me that wanted the club to let Payet rot on the sidelines for five years, but it wouldn't have been to the benefit of the club.

• edited January 2017

So what do you do? Hold out for a £30mil bid that never arrives or gradually see his valuation fall

Yes.

80k a week equates to roughly 4m a year. It's around half that until the next transfer window starts. Over the past few weeks I have read statements like "2m is peanuts in today's game" at regular intervals. So why not teach Payet a lesson, send a message to other players that if you break your contract you will suffer and take a stand. Let him train at Chadwell Heath, I very much doubt there will be much of a shadow over the club once the transfer window closes. It is the only reason why his name comes up every other day!