Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• But you haven't heard Sullivan saying £2m is peanuts have you?
  • No, or else we would never have offered Sunderland 3m for Defoe. ;doh

Nevertheless the fees I have heard today are ridiculously low. OM will be laughing all the way back from the bank.
  • Champo ;ok Great point re Berahino. Stoke's stance (stubbornness?) cost them, what, £10-15m?

There was a part of me that wanted the club to let Payet rot on the sidelines for five years, but it wouldn't have been to the benefit of the club.

Did Saido get what he wanted though (his dream move to spurs)? No he didn't, he sat on the periphery for quite some time and then ended up at stoke.

On the other hand, Payet has thrown his toys out of the pram and within a couple of weeks stands to get exactly what he wanted. As will OM
  • I don't think any business can afford to have a £25m asset rotting away in the corner.
  • No, but you don't sell an Aston Martin for five grand either.
  • edited January 2017
    baracks - exactly ;ok

People tried to say the ball was in our court. We never even touched the ball.

From the moment Payet decided he'd had enough of West Ham (whether that be now, next summer, last summer) he was going to leave and there was nothing the club could do, unless they wanted to take a massive financial hit. It's like when Slav and Sully said 2 weeks back 'he's not for sale, he's our best player and we want to keep our best players', who actually believed them?

WBA were happy to. Was it wise? Probably not when they were being offered £25m not long ago.
  • I don't entirely disagree IH - it's a very tricky one - I wouldn't want to be in the Dave's shoes
  • No, but you don't sell an Aston Martin for five grand either.

But if no one wants to buy it it's worthless.
  • Why pay £80k per week to train. He refused to play for the U23's too so it was right to get rid.
  • I'd like to see FIFA and UEFA find a way to punish this sort of conduct severely - e.g. banning from tournament finals (World Cup/euros) and/or the champions league.
  • OS has confirmed the £25m fee agreed.
  • I reckon OM will offer him 40 grand a week and he will have to take it.
  • edited January 2017
    So, after all is said and done, we basically loaned Payet from Marseille for 18 months and they've paid us £15m for doing so ;thumbsup
  • Or on the other hand we have just sold him for half a John stones or five sixths of a Troy deeney...
  • He's gone.

We got some money.

/End.
  • IronHerb said:

No, but you don't sell an Aston Martin for five grand either.

But if no one wants to buy it it's worthless.
    No, it's not. It is worth whatever you say it is. It's like saying your house is worthless because nobody wants to buy it.
  • edited January 2017
    Just because somebody can't afford to buy something doesn't mean it's value is incorrect.

Just means they can't afford it.
  • edited January 2017
    Marseille can afford to pay £30m. They've gone from £19m to £25m in a week and are paying him £100,000 a week. But the cards are in their favour as we only have 3 days to decide if we want him gone or risk holding out and he stays in the reserves.

We've bulked, but it's difficult to know what else we could've done.
  • But if no one will pay that price, what is the point of giving it that value?
  • Unfortunately we aren't a club that can afford to carry a player like Payet without playing him

We've responded with 2 wins with an aggregate score of 6-1 since he left and we've brought in 2 experienced Premier league players since then so we've strengthened

He's been useless for most of the season and without the ball we've been down to 10 men regularly so if we can get £25mil then good

Despite all the rumours over the summer no-one actually tried to buy him because no one really wants him because of his age

It's not worth the risk holding out putting money in his back pocket just I he can make the exact same move in 6 months time but at a lower value
  • He hasn't been useless. 2 goals, 6 assists and numerous chances created.

He's just not been as good as last season.
  • We bought him for £10mil and got more than double 18 months later, he is 30 and arguably has had one good domestic season and one good international tournament.

He turned out to be a cancer and I'm pleased he has been cut out.

Really don't understand why the quibbling over why we didn't get more money.
  • You never state the price you want at the start of an negotiation you provide an inflated staring price with the expectation that the value will come down during negotiation.

So 5m less can be seen as an expected outcome, if we wanted 30 then 35 would have been a out starting position.

15m profit good business imo.
  • I'm glad he's now gone. But just disappointed that it ended this way, as he will now be remembered as a twonk rather than a hero or a legend.
    Bye bye Dimi, it's been emotional.
  • Slizz and others that bet...... Payet to join Marseille this month 3/1 - lumped on

Page 67. Jan 20th.

After sky said Marseille didn't want him anymore.

;whistle
  • Darren Lewis claiming in the Mirror that we want the £1m loyalty bonus back from Payet.
  • Well he didn't show any loyalty so....
  • His definition of loyalty was returning to his club after the Euro's
  • Sun report he's officially signed for OM
  • Jack tweeted he is having a medical tomorrow. ;hmm