Dimi Payet; the Epilogue

Comments

• But the Sun won't come out until tomorrow. You can get your bottom dollar.
  • I hope one day a club will show one of these players that contracts matter both ways and allow a valuable player to rot on the bench rather than allow them to get their way.

Yes we doubled our money but in today's market 30m was already a reduced price for a genuine world class player so his antics worked. I hope it all goes sour and his form trails off and he loses his place in the national squad. Have more respect for Zsa Zsa as at least he gave his all under a lot of pressure even if he was not up to much.

Glad he is gone but gutted as well, not just because he is gone but the memories are now tarnished.
  • Was he really world class though. One good season in a whole career doesn't count to that degree. If he was world class clubs would be falling over themselves to battle for his signature.
  • Photos on twitter of him doing his medical... In Marseille's training kit

Imagine if he failed it... ;whistle
  • hope we have a good sell on clause, watch him turn up in the EPL next year at a top 4 club
  • edited January 2017
    So it seems the Payet saga is over which I am pleased about. He was great for us last season, but this season has I feel not really played for the team when he has appeared. He has conducted himself in an unprofessional manner to force this move and in that he has lost respect from the fans. I wish him no ill but I am not at all sorry he's gone. We move on.
    COYI ;scarf
  • There's a 25% sell on clause and the reason the club accepted £25M was Slav and the team wanted shot of him.
    Fee being paid in instalments and proceeds going to Slav to use whenever he wishes. Still not sure if that means we are still going for hogan or not.
  • Also according to SSN we are going in for Hart in the summer but I personally don't really think we are in with a shout.
  • I think there's a chance we can get hart if we want him. Can't see him being sold to any of Man City's CL rivals. So if he wants to be back in the UK there's got to be a chance for us IMO
  • If he has gone and passes his medical than so be it. £25m + 3-5m add ons not bad for a player his age who I believe would never be as good as he was in the first season for us. Even though I was happy to hold out for £35m we don't know what went on within the club but hearing he caused dissent in the team was not healthy and had to be stopped. 25% sell on fee is excellent too. Would love it if we could get Defoe or Hogan now.
  • edited January 2017
    Chelsea - Courtois
    Man Utd - de Gea
    Arsenal - Cech
    Spurs - Lloris
    Man City - Pep

As it stands, those five aren't options.

So other than Liverpool, Everton and ourselves, you can't really see where else he could go in the PL?

Who else could afford his wages?

You'd think unless LFC declare an interest, we'd have a solid chance of signing Hart.
  • Liverpool need a 'keeper desperately. He'll go there if anywhere in the UK.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, but can't see him being interested in us.
  • But will Citeh sell him to a direct threat?
  • IronHerb said:

But will Citeh sell him to a direct threat?

;lol

Wait, you're serious?

;wink
  • That was my point. I don't think he'd be interested at all in us as he'd want to play in Europe. I don't think Guardiola would be bothered about selling him to a rival as he doesn't rate him as a keeper so he'd probably think he's weakening his rivals. There's still a possibility that Real Madrid will try yo get Courtois or De Gea so either of Chelsea or Man U could be in with him. More likely Chelsea.
  • Personally, I'm happy with Randy this season, and was happy with Adrian last season. I like that they can battle it out, whoever is in form wears the gloves, couple of poor games, 'you're out!'. If Hart came in, one would have to leave and I can't see Hart accepting the potential for his role to be potentially underfire if he is 'dropping' to our level. He will want assurances he is the number 1. Is he really that much better that we need provide those assurances? And he will want those assurances, after the debacle at MCity. I can understand how others will believe differently, Hart is a class keeper, I just prefer our status quo, and rate our two boys.
  • edited January 2017
    thorn

re: Payet

Although, outside the fee, everything else is speculation, isn't it?
  • edited January 2017
    Exclusive picture of the Payet medical.....

IMG_1183
  • Vorse, wow, how did you get into the OM medical centre? ;biggrin
  • FloRad, I'm with you on that about Hart ;ok
  • OM & OS announce the transfer of Payet is complete.
  • edited January 2017
    Jack has been a very naughty boy once again! If supporters do this it is one thing but for the son of the owner!!!! Unacceptable. He ought to have his mobile taken away!!!

• This really ought to have consequences. Potentially messing up (or giving away) potential transfers is one thing but Jack really needs to understand that he is no ordinary supporter. He simply can't do this kind of stuff and it's not like he doesn't have previous. (#Nolan)
  • Don't worry. He'll be running the club one day and wonder why we cant buy anyone.
  • So 25% sell on clause so all those that think he may end up in the EPL or another one of Europe's elite we will surely be getting a fairly big cut of whatever the fee is

Good riddance, class last season but this season he has never been the same and we've now got £25mil and £80k-125k a week off our wage bill
  • Jack is a 16/17 year old teenager, I can remember saying some pretty stupid things when I was that age.

I blame the parents.......
  • That's harsh on yours ASLEF. ;biggrin
  • Whilst not condoning payet's conduct the club need to think about how it handles exceptional players should that occur in the future.

The saying seems to go that no player is bigger than the club.

However there are certain things which may have contributed to Payet thinking he had untouchable status.

A couple of examples - the "we've got Payet, they don't understand" song - it's brilliant for the fans to sing it, however should the club then adopt the slogan too?

And another small example - the picture on the OS in the summer with the caption "look who's back" - it's as if the club and its fans should be grateful that he did?

Doing things like this, IMO, means that you are setting yourself up for a fall.