Official new manager - Julen Lopetegui

2»

Comments

• I’m not saying it’s not a logical appointment, almost like the next step from what Moyes should’ve offered.

I’m just saying we should probably expect less goals than what we’ve been used to over the last few years. Probably lots of 1-0 or 2-1 wins.
  • I’ve read a few articles on Lopetegui’s style of play and the almost unanimous conclusion was we wont conceded many but we won’t be scoring a whole lot more

We’re going from fast breaks on the counter to slow build up play
  • But did those teams he managed have Bowen and Kudus
  • Saw a report that Kevin Nolan was deeply disappointed he was sacked as he really wanted to stay on as he’d spent 9 years with the club. Apparently Lopetigui wanted all Moyes staff to go with the exception of the goalkeeping coach who happens to be Spanish.
  • 9 years is a good stint at a club considering most new managerial appointments want their own staff
  • I don't think Lepetigui will work out after what happened with Wolves, Spain and Madrid but I guess the club must have seen something they liked in him. I am happy that Tim has stayed after being linked with Liverpool during the season as It can only be a good thing to have someone at the club who doesn't change with the manager. A bit like the civil service and the PM.
  • edited May 28
    He works well with a technical director, he has managed big clubs & his success is undeniable. He left Spain for flirting with Madrid (otherwise he’d have remained). He didn’t last long at Madrid but not many do. Sevilla was a huge success, as was Wolves - although he did decide to walk away when he didn’t get the investment he was promised.

It won’t be rip-roaring entertainment but it will probably be more controlled & pleasing on the eye (to an extent). It does feel a little bit like Pellegrini but what I would say is that he has already done it at Wolves, taking a squad from bottom to 13th, whereas Pellegrini had only really managed big clubs before our appointment.
  • Looks like all slates are wiped clean and Lopetegui will evaluate everyone in pre-season assuming, of course, that this report is accurate.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/west-hams-new-flynn-downes-plan-revealed-after-southampton-update-sources/
  • I think one of us described Football Insider as the worst
  • edited August 12
    https://www.whufc.com/news/lopetegui-and-west-ham-are-perfect-match-jarvis-and-balague-hammers-new-era

Interesting comments towards the bottom from Guillem Balague.

Also states in a seperate tweet that JL did not walk out on Wolves due to squad quality/signings, he said that the goalposts were moved three times which forced JL, being a man of principle, to leave the club. Took them from 20th to 13th & doesn’t understand the criticism JL got for his efforts there. Football was not exciting but they were in a relegation battle with a poor squad.