Sheffield United (A) 2:00pm Sunday 21st January 2024 (9:00am East Coast USA)

1234568»

Comments

• Lukerz said:

So can we now consider Johnson as a possible midfield option?

It’s definitely too early to say that, but the signs were promising. He’s good at running with the ball, but he’s not a great crosser, so having him in the middle of the pitch might help address that. He’s a good tackler, has a lot of energy, isn’t bad with a simple passing game. It could be a great fit.
  • I'm still annoyed about their penalty, never mind the one we should have got at the end.
  • edited January 21
    Having now seen both penalty shouts it's clear theirs was weaker than ours. I don't see how VAR can give one and not the other. I really dislike how the referees lack bottle and then try and get out of it by making things up. This suggestion it was hand ball is false as the offence is committed before the hand ball and his arm position is a result of the offence.

Either both or none of those should be given.
  • Wow, I'm just watching MOTD 2, very harsh 2nd yellow for Coufal, I'm not happy with that at all. Their penalty looked very soft, and I still don't see how that's not a penalty for us at the end after the one he gave them.
  • edited January 22
    MotD say Areola/McBurnie wasn't a penalty, foul on Areola

Bowen/Ahmedhodzic penalty was 50/50

Also Johnson in midfield, Bowen wide right was a good move

Gotta love Danny Murphy
  • Robbie mustoe speculated that “maybe” the ref viewed the incident as Bowen pulling the defender down upon him as much as the defender wrestling Bowen down,

Don’t shoot the messenger

IMO the ref had a pretty good game until those last few minutes, when he viewed the VAR, he must have known that he messed up and should have given a straight red, I have no issue with their penalty or Coufels red card - (he had literally just been carded so he should have protected himself but instead he ended up giving the ref a decision to make) but I struggle to see why we did not get a penalty at the death.
  • edited January 22
    Lukerz said:

I thought he did well, showed some intent and actual speed, something at the moment out team seriously lacks, must be the slowest lot around 🤣
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

It’s definitely too early to say that, but the signs were promising. He’s good at running with the ball, but he’s not a great crosser, so having him in the middle of the pitch might help address that. He’s a good tackler, has a lot of energy, isn’t bad with a simple passing game. It could be a great fit.
    We do need to bear in mind we were playing the bottom team in the league.
  • Considering his options, I thought Moyes played a blinder. Ings deeper, Fornals and Cornet switching wings.... and Ben Johnson in midfield! All decisions improved performance. 👏
  • Oh, and ref Michael Salisbury is an enigma. He's been excellent away against Man U and Spurs, and a bit dodgy against Nottingham Forest. Maybe he doesn't like being surrounded and harangued.
  • Watching MOTD and the save by Areola that led to the first goal was not great at all. How often do we hear about not pushing the ball back into the danger zone? He got a good hand to it, and if he’d pushed it wide it here was nobody there.
  • And seeing all the decisions again, I think the only one I think is wrong is the penalty for them. I don’t think Coufal’s second yellow is that soft. When you’ve JUST been booked you need to be a bit more sensible in your decision making than that. The one on Bowen looked originally like the defender wasn’t looking at the ball, but I think it wasn’t as clear cut as all that.

The Areola one is egregious. Absolutely awful decision.
  • IronHerb said:

Bowen is fit and starting.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that means I will miss out on 17 FF points from Gabriel on the bench and not replacing him
    You took 117 for the team
  • alderz said:

Watching MOTD and the save by Areola that led to the first goal was not great at all. How often do we hear about not pushing the ball back into the danger zone? He got a good hand to it, and if he’d pushed it wide it here was nobody there.

It was from pretty close range and it was just a reflex that he got a firm hand to it imo. Harsh to suggest he pushed it back to the player or that he should have pushed it wide; he didn't do anything other than get something on it to stop a goal imo.

• That's what I thought at first, but watching it again he makes like a scooping motion, and hooks the ball back towards where it came from. At the end of the day he's a professional goalkeeper, his reaction speeds are far far quicker than any of ours. I think he'll be disappointed with where he pushed it.
  • The commentator on 5 live said we’re just playing the last minute of time added on. I said to my wife that even we couldn’t mess it up now and switched on the tv to record match of the day………………………big mistake, should’ve known better, turned tv off and cancelled the recording.
    I take full responsibility and will hang, draw and quarter myself in time for lunch.
  • edited January 22
    So, the Sheffield United defender who had the tussle with Bowen at the end of the game said this:

"Clearly biased," the defender posted. "You can see ... the unedited footage where he pulls me down with him which makes me lose sight of the ball. Obviously it’s been edited to make it look like a pen to West Ham."

This is an absolutely mental thing to say.
  • if a manager said that he is getting a fine and a touchline ban thats a crazy thing to say really.
  • alderz said:

So, the Sheffield United defender who had the tussle with Bowen at the end of the game said this:

"Clearly biased," the defender posted. "You can see ... the unedited footage where he pulls me down with him which makes me lose sight of the ball. Obviously it’s been edited to make it look like a pen to West Ham."

This is an absolutely mental thing to say.
    It's those Sheffield people again, conspiracy theorists, always someone got it in for them. Editing match of the day clips! I ask you. It's like Tevez gate all over again with them.
  • Just as well they got a point. They probably would have sued us for running on their rotten pitch if they hadn’t.
  • "which makes me lose sight of the ball"

Not sure he was ever looking at the ball.
  • Johnson started as a midfielder but was converted to right back while at the Academy.

• It's those Sheffield people again, conspiracy theorists, always someone got it in for them. Editing match of the day clips! I ask you. It's like Tevez gate all over again with them.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me.
  • IronHerb said:

Johnson started as a midfielder but was converted to right back while at the Academy.

Herb, that's interesting, any idea who was responsible for that. He definitely looked comfortable and a natural in midfield.