Sheffield United (A) 2:00pm Sunday 21st January 2024 (9:00am East Coast USA)

Comments

• Were we robbed or did we just throw it away. Should have had a penalty at the end.
    I thought Ings played well and Johnson was good too in the midfield position, but disappointed to drop two points.
  • We never deserved the win IMO, with a full squad we'd have won....no complaints....
  • It’s never a pen. Two players go for a ball, neither get it, neither in control of it, collision. It’s not a pen. You never get that at the Etihad.
  • We weren’t great and we weren’t awful.
    With all the absences I would’ve settled for a point beforehand BUT that was mental!
    Definitely should have had a pen right at the death.
    Said before that I don’t like singling players out but I really don’t know what’s happened to Cornet he was truly shocking and looked completely out of his depth, I was sure he was going to plant that chance in row Z when he scored .
  • Imo:

McBurnie penalty - Correct decision. Yes Areola got hit in the face but McBurnie was elevating his arms to jump while Areola times it badly and misses the ball and hits the man. They seemed to hit each other at a similar time... if McBurnie made contact with Areola first then I'd have said no penalty. Similarly, if Areola made contact first then it's a definite penalty. The fact they made contact with each other at the same time makes it debatable but the fact that McBurnie hadn't moved (apart from jumping vertically), while Areola has came out of his goal into McBurnie, for me it's just a penalty.

Coufal double yellows - First yellow I can't comment on as I don't know if something was said, and second yellow was a yellow. Imo it's a harsh double yellow but probably just about worthy of getting sent off. At the end of the day, that never changed the result regardless of if he were on/off the field. I do think the referee wanted to send Coufal off; perhaps he said something to him for the first yellow? I'm only speculating but it felt like that.

Bowen penalty shout at the end - Wrong decision. The defender was going for the ball rather than the man. I don't really know how there could even be an argument that this wasn't a penalty but I'd be interested to hear. You couldn't say he won the ball.

And watching the match live. I did think Hamer should've been sent off
  • Wilder saying he didn’t think that should have been a red card for Brewster.
    That’s as clear a red card you’re going to see.
  • MIAHammer said:

Wilder saying he didn’t think that should have been a red card for Brewster.

Yeah, I just saw that post match comment.

He's definitely off my Christmas Card list
  • MIAHammer said:

Wilder saying he didn’t think that should have been a red card for Brewster.

He jumped in with both feet off the ground. What a clown
  • So Mr. Wilder, you can't defend tackles like that. That would have been a red in 70's and 80's.
  • No coincidence for me that Ings has his best performance for us, when he’s as good as played in a front two.

• The challenge on Bowen at the end is just a rugby tackle. VAR has no bottle and neither do the refs anymore
  • VAR was never going to be involved in a third penalty after two red cards as well. No chance.
  • Just imagine the orders before the game

OK boys, don't let them pretending 'ammers get too far ahead of our beloved Manchester club, not good for business you know

That was a very sad decision process, and an apology will not give us two points

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
  • All in all, happy with the point, given the side. I expected a 1-0 or 2-1 loss. The circumstances are annoying but the point is not the worst result in the world. Hopefully now 10 days to get players fit & we may have an update on Kudus/Aguerd & also a signing or two (maybe).
  • According to the BBC the Bowen penalty was not given because Bowen apparently handled it before he went down.
  • At the end of the day, ahead in extra time vs 10 men, you have to conclude that we threw it away, however, I think that taking all three points would have been very flattering.

I was fearful that we would lose this one and on that performance, a loss could easily have resulted so i am happy with the point
  • One defeat in our last 10 but no wins in 4 in January. Next game Bournemouth on Feb 1 but they are one of the best form teams at the moment. Maybe we will have reinforcements in place by then.
  • Not sure who’s writing for the BBC these days ……

And Tomas Soucek was given a yellow card for demanding Brewster's sending off, before receiving a second booking minutes later for a cynical trip.
  • MIAHammer said:

Not sure who’s writing for the BBC these days ……

And Tomas Soucek was given a yellow card for demanding Brewster's sending off, before receiving a second booking minutes later for a cynical trip.

Yeah they made the same mistake twice in the article too.
  • I can't believe that, I was out this afternoon and checked just before the 90 and thought all good, I come home and we have drawn and two players were sent off!
  • I can't believe that, I was out this afternoon and checked just before the 90 and thought all good

You're new to supporting West Ham then? 😃
  • According to the BBC the Bowen penalty was not given because Bowen apparently handled it before he went down.

He handled it as he was going down and the ref awarded the Blunts a free kick. VAR should have seen that this was a "clear and obvious" error and referred it to the ref - of course that assumes the VAR was doing his job.
  • I thought Fornals had another stinker. Why not give one of the youngsters a go? Could hardly be worse.
  • I think that's a bit harsh.
  • Even the red for Coufal. I can’t remember him committing a foul all game, then he gets a booking for the incident following the red & then another yellow for a pretty basic foul. Didn’t need to be booked, free-kick & that’s that.
  • Whoscored has Coufal at 2 fouls :+1:

A few other stats:

Touches:
    Ings 20
    Cornet 18
    Bowen 17
    Johnson 16 (yet consider how long he was on)

Pass Accuracy % (rounded)
    Cornet 67
    Ings 70
    Bowen 71
    Johnson 94

Player with most touches: Soucek (51, incl 1 key pass) + pass accuracy 75%

Most accurate passer: JWP: 97% (38 touches, 4 key passes)

These 2 MFs were dominating the ball, and relatively OK at passing - but who were they passing to? Each other?

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1729450/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2023-2024-Sheffield-United-West-Ham
  • Lukerz said:

And the sooner they bin VAR the better. Brings nothing to our game.

The Ref gave Brewster a Yellow, VAR made it a Red.
  • Unfortunately I lost my stream for the chaotic couple of minutes that saw Coufal get his second yellow and red, and their penalty incident; something tells me the ref won't have endeared himself to me once I actually view the incidents. Bowen definitely looked like he was rugby tackled right at the end; he was falling over before the ball hit his arm so I'm not sure how that wasn't a penalty.
  • So can we now consider Johnson as a possible midfield option?
  • Lukerz said:

So can we now consider Johnson as a possible midfield option?

Ben "Jonny Spector" Johnson?