Sheffield United (A) 2:00pm Sunday 21st January 2024 (9:00am East Coast USA)

Comments

• I am sorry, but imo, that is a penalty, Areola was clumsy in the extreme, clattered into him and did not get the ball
  • Fab could get MOTM here
  • Didn't even seem to be much of a check. I don't understand how that can be a penalty
  • How was that not a pen
  • Not a great effort by Fabianski, it looked saveable.

Now we maybe should have had a penalty.
  • How is their defender turning his back on the ball, grabbing Bowen, taking him to the ground, and it’s their free kick.
  • Gutted with that.
  • edited January 21
    If the Comms team know it's a pen, why don't VAR.
    Clear and obvious mistake and foul
    🤬🤬🤬
  • Bonkers match.
  • Ridiculous to have ended up drawing that
  • Gutted to have not won it in those circumstances. A goal up, a man up in added time, then Coufal stupidly off, then a penalty. Gutted.
  • Moyes is fuming
  • Also, we weren’t great, but that’s three games against Championship teams & we haven’t won any.
  • We had a chance of solidifying our 6th place and just threw it away.
  • alderz said:

Fabianski coming on this is mad

BBC saying it's because Areola had to leave the pitch after treatment, and once the game restarts there would be no keeper on for the penalty.
  • How do we go from 2-1 up with an extra man, with 3 mins to go, to drawing that against bottom of the league.
  • We are still solidly 6th
  • MrsGrey said:

alderz said:

Fabianski coming on this is mad

BBC saying it's because Areola had to leave the pitch after treatment, and once the game restarts there would be no keeper on for the penalty.
    Keepers have never had to leave the pitch before, penalty or no penalty.

• We’re unlucky not to get a penalty in the final seconds there.
  • The ref got Coufal and Soucek mixed up, I can see Coufal's red card being rescinded.
  • edited January 21
    Oh, you'd better message the BBC, buffy!
  • That was a really weird ending, two sending offs, a penalty and right at the death, we had a real credible shout for another penalty

To be fair, I think that’s victory would have been very flattering
  • MrsGrey said:

My FF score is taking a hammering as I have areola and coufal

It's ok, I'd benched Coufal. You can breathe a sigh of relief 😄.

• edited January 21
    A shambles of a ref performance in the last few minutes.

Missing the red in live play.
    Sending Coufal off to start.
    The penalty.
    Missing the penalty at the other end.

No wonder I hadn’t heard of him before.
  • The ref got Coufal and Soucek mixed up, I can see Coufal's red card being rescinded.

It can't, can it? Two yellow cards.

For the first yellow, you think? Isn't that a case of mistaken identity that var should address?
  • And the sooner they bin VAR the better. Brings nothing to our game.
  • Imo:

McBurnie penalty - Correct decision. Yes Areola got hit in the face but McBurnie was elevating his arms to jump while Areola times it badly and misses the ball and hits the man. They seemed to hit each other at a similar time... if McBurnie made contact with Areola first then I'd have said no penalty. Similarly, if Areola made contact first then it's a definite penalty. The fact they made contact with each other at the same time makes it debatable but the fact that McBurnie hadn't moved (apart from jumping vertically), while Areola has came out of his goal into McBurnie, for me it's just a penalty.

Coufal double yellows - First yellow I can't comment on as I don't know if something was said, and second yellow was a yellow. Imo it's a harsh double yellow but probably just about worthy of getting sent off. At the end of the day, that never changed the result regardless of if he were on/off the field. I do think the referee wanted to send Coufal off; perhaps he said something to him for the first yellow? I'm only speculating but it felt like that.

Bowen penalty shout at the end - Wrong decision. The defender was going for the ball rather than the man. I don't really know how there could even be an argument that this wasn't a penalty but I'd be interested to hear. You couldn't say he won the ball.