Sheffield United (A) 2:00pm Sunday 21st January 2024 (9:00am East Coast USA)

Comments

• edited January 21
    Cornet took it well.
    Ings and Cornet involved in that goal.
    Ings has done fairly well so far. He’s been quite involved.
  • alderz said:

Here’s a fun stat: Cornet scores his first goal for us on his 31st appearance. Said Benrahma also scored his first goal on his 31st.

Wow, really? Didn't realise Benrahma took so long.

• edited January 21

Would love to see a good performance from Cornet, more chance of that if he's on the left than the right imo.

Cornet seems to be playing on the left now, and he scored from the left, Moyes has obviously read my comments.

• Ings has done ok today so far. Nothing special, but he looks among it, at least.
  • Seeing JWP there as Sheffield Utd broke reminded me of Noble, and a fairly valid criticism that has been levelled at both; although they both work/worked hard, so much of the yards they cover is chasing back and not gaining on the player they're chasing.
  • I think that Zouma is having an odd half, gave away an unnecessary free kick, an unnecessary corner and has been caught flat footed and ball watching on a number of occasions
  • Seeing JWP there as Sheffield Utd broke reminded me of Noble, and a fairly valid criticism that has been levelled at both; although they both work/worked hard, so much of the yards they cover is chasing back and not gaining on the player they're chasing.

JWP completely dived in. I don’t know why he charged at the ball.
  • Unselfish by Bowen there, but the pull back misses the intended player, and when it falls to Ings his shot is blocked.
  • edited January 21
    Very good chance for Bowen from the resulting corner, but he mistimes his shot.
  • We should be 2 or 3 up. Lack of clinical finishing, but feels like one of those games that is going to be a mad last 20 minutes when it goes end to end. Expect a lot more goals in this one, reckon this could be a 3-2 / 4-3 thriller.
  • How has JWP been booked there? He got the ball.
  • alderz said:

Seeing JWP there as Sheffield Utd broke reminded me of Noble, and a fairly valid criticism that has been levelled at both; although they both work/worked hard, so much of the yards they cover is chasing back and not gaining on the player they're chasing.

My stream must be a bit behind, I was referring to something a little earlier.
  • edited January 21
    Diaz obviously scores. Shame as Areola did well to keep the original header out.
  • alderz said:

Seeing JWP there as Sheffield Utd broke reminded me of Noble, and a fairly valid criticism that has been levelled at both; although they both work/worked hard, so much of the yards they cover is chasing back and not gaining on the player they're chasing.

My stream must be a bit behind, I was referring to something a little earlier.
    The bit where McAtee burst past him on the wing?
  • I know he scored, but Cornet is rubbish
  • alderz said:

I know he scored, but Cornet is rubbish

I'm trying to work out if it's rustiness, lack of confidence, lack of bothered, or he's actually useless
  • Cornet is a shambles. We now know why Moyes doesn’t even give him 30 seconds.
  • Cornet does not use his body at all to shield the ball. That is just not good enough rather than rustiness etc.
  • Soucek having a good game and Ings looks excellent playing deeper

Both Fornals and Cornet look better now they've switched sides but still not brilliant

And now I've got to go to work...sigh
  • We are giving SHU too much space in midfield.
  • Feel for Areola there as he did all he could for their goal, Zouma may not have been solely responsible, but he hardly covered himself in glory either and, imo, has had a really poor half overall.

Tricky to decide our MOTM for that half, it is normally tempting to go for the goal scorer but although he took it well, he was pretty poor in every other aspect.

Ings has probably done as much as anyone so he gets my vote - let’s see what the 2nd half brings

COYI
  • alderz said:

I know he scored, but Cornet is rubbish

I'm trying to work out if it's rustiness, lack of confidence, lack of bothered, or he's actually useless
    I think it’s rustiness and lack of confidence. The same with Fornals. It’s one thing playing in training, it’s quite another playing in a game.
    Some of their passing has been really off.
  • Feel for Areola there as he did all he could for their goal, Zouma may not have been solely responsible, but he hardly covered himself in glory either and, imo, has had a really poor half overall.

Yeah, gotta agree, Zouma doesn't look very good at all today. Obviously he's playing on the left rather than the right of the CB pairing, but, even so, he looks well off it to me.

• MIAHammer said:

I think it’s rustiness and lack of confidence. The same with Fornals. It’s one thing playing in training, it’s quite another playing in a game.
    Some of their passing has been really off.

Cornet seemed to improve as the game went on in the replay against Bristol City, so hopefully there's more to come in the second half 🤞🤞🤞.

• edited January 21
    I just don’t know how Cornet can do what he did for the goal yet serve up the rest of that performance in that half.

A draw would be a decent return here.
  • Soucek having a good game and Ings looks excellent playing deeper

I think excellent is quite generous, but he’s definitely been better than he has been as an isolated centre forward.
  • Our passing has been woeful
  • Unforced errors exacerbating the problems caused by forced errors. Sigh.
  • , Mavropanos puts forward an overhit pass to the invisible man and my comms says “Mavropanos likes to do that”

Well it made me laugh