Sheffield United (A) 2:00pm Sunday 21st January 2024 (9:00am East Coast USA)

Well nychammer's impressive run was brought to an abrupt end by Bristol City so keeping with the East Coast USA theme let's see if Miami can bring some heat and start another unbeaten run!

It's bottom club versus top 6 (at least for now)!

We have won our past 11 Premier League games against the side starting the day bottom of the table, including a 2-0 win over Sheffield United in the reverse fixture in September. However, both our team and supporters seem low on confidence and it's difficult to see where our goals are going to come from. On the other hand, Oli McBurnie is in form and has scored in each of his past three home Premier League appearances for Sheffield United, even though he has ended up on the losing side in each of those games.

The pressure is going to be on Sheff Utd to start getting points and maybe they'll be emboldened by our very weak showing on Tuesday and go all out for it which might work in our favour.

At this point we might just need to get through the next 2-3 games until we can get some of our first team back. I think Moyes is out of options and we're going to park the bus, so the best I can hope for is a 0-0 draw.

Comments

• Respect the 0-0 =)
  • This is a game we should easily win, so I’m going for a ……LOSS.
  • With the side we will have out, I think there is a genuine chance we lose this. It will be scrappy & they will fight, we will struggle for creativity. Can see a 1-0 loss.
  • edited January 18

This is a game we should easily win, so I’m going for a ……LOSS.

No such thing as an easy game in the PL these days
  • I hope Moyes gives the kids a “start” this time, Callum Marshall over Ings…….please
  • Currently Sheff Utd have the scored the fewest goals (15) and conceded the most (49) although you could argue they've improved under Wilder as they've conceded fewer on average (10 in 6/1.66 per game) than under Heckingbottom (39 in 14/2.79 per game)

15 goals in 20 games is even worse when you notice that three of those were own goals, Joint top scorers are Cameron Archer and Ollie McBurnie with 3 a piece, They've just signed Ben Brereton Díaz on loan from Villarreal

They also have the 2nd worst home record W2 D1 L7, only beaten by Burnley W1 D1 L9 although Burnley's sole home win was the 5-0 thrashing of Sheffield Utd that got Heckinbottom sacked.

What they do excel at is collecting yellow cards, 61 so far, second only to Chelsea and that hasn't improved under Wilder, five players were booked in the 2-3 home loss to Luton although they'll struggle to match the seven yellow cards they got against Spurs in September (McBurnie got two of those)

The referee will be Michael Salisbury, he's been the ref for our games three times, all last year, lost away to Man Utd in the Cup March, beat Forest at home November and beat Spurs away December.

I think he's going to have a busy afternoon...
  • Moyes has, as usual, given very little away in his presser:

“Jarrod’s doing better,” said Moyes, 60. “Whether he’ll be fit and available at the weekend, we’ll have to wait and see, but he’s certainly improving."

“It’s a similar story with Edson and Pablo. We’ll need to make late calls on all three of them and see if they’re okay to travel, and that’s what we’ll do.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/team-news-moyes-updates-west-ham-trio-ahead-sheffield-united-trip

I'm still not sure why Alvarez and Fornals missed the FA Cup replay, but if none of the 3 are fit to start we're really in trouble.

Best case scenario:

Areola
    Coufal Mavropanos Zouma Emerson
    Soucek Alvarez JWP
    Fornals Bowen Cornet

Worst case scenario:

Areola
    Mavropanos Zouma Ogbonna/Cresswell
    Coufal Soucek JWP Emerson
    Mubama Ings Cornet

We really are down to bare bones in the latter case.
  • Moyes was full of praise for Callum Marshall after the Bristol City game, I hope he’s at least on the bench for Sunday.
  • "Jarrod is doing better. Will he be available? I won't be giving that information out."

I wouldn't want to play poker with Moyes

Sheffield will be missing LB Yasser Larouci and CM Anis Slimane, both at ACON but otherwise there aren't any noticeable absences from the players that have started the six games under Wilder

Best guess

Foderingham
    Bogle Ahmedhodzic Robinson Trusty
    McAtee Souza Hamer Brooks
    Archer McBurnie

With Ben Brereton Diaz on the bench, got 18 minutes in the Cup against Gillingham and hardly played since the beginning of December with Villarreal
  • Areola
    Johnson - Zouma - Mavropanos - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Fornals
    Bowen - Cornet

Looks like the best we will have. Possibly Ings for Bowen if he is not fit with Cornet on the right.
  • 50mph plus winds forecast for the duration of the game. 😬
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Fornals
    Bowen - Cornet

Looks like the best we will have. Possibly Ings for Bowen if he is not fit with Cornet on the right.

Think Coufal will play.
  • Bowen is fit and starting.
  • edited January 21
    IronHerb said:

Bowen is fit and starting.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that means I will miss out on 17 FF points from Gabriel on the bench and not replacing him
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Fornals
    Bowen - Cornet

Johnson for Coufel?
  • IronHerb said:

Bowen is fit and starting.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that means I will miss out on 17 FF points from Gabriel on the bench and not replacing him
    Bowen hat-trick will see you ok. 🤞
  • Feels risky playing Bowen but you gotta trust the medical team (even though it seems they got it wrong for Paqueta)

Not that we have many other options, we are so light up top

Really don't wanna see Ings buy I don't see who else it could be, we don't gave many options and Moyes won't start Mubama or Marshall

• So what do we think…

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Cresswell
    Cornet - Bowen - Emerson
  • Lukerz said:

So what do we think…

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Cresswell
    Cornet - Bowen - Emerson

Not sure if I’ve missed something but if Ben Johnson is fit/available (havent heard anything to say otherwise) then I’d prefer him to Cress
  • edited January 21
    Looks like a 4-4-2

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Cornet - Soucek - Ward-Prowse - Fornals
    Bowen - Ings

Or

Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Zouma - Emerson
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Fornals - Cornet
    Ings
  • I think it’s more likely to be the second one
  • Best guess

Foderingham
    Bogle Ahmedhodzic Robinson Trusty
    McAtee Souza Hamer Brooks
    Archer McBurnie

With Ben Brereton Diaz on the bench, got 18 minutes in the Cup against Gillingham and hardly played since the beginning of December with Villarreal

Got nine right

Osala and Brereton-Diaz start, Archer and McBurnie on the bench
  • Alvarez still out is a big loss. Have just seen someone say it's a calf injury, anyone know anything?

We're down to bare bones, bench is full of OAPs and kids (Johnson aside):

Subs: Fabiański (GK), Johnson, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Casey, Mubama, Marshall, Scarles, Orford
  • edited January 21
    Calf injury according to Roshane Thomas, West Ham correspondent at The Athletic (ex-Sunday Times and TalkSport)

Suddenly Kalvin Phillips on loan seems like an excellent idea!
  • Calf injury according to Roshane Thomas, West Ham correspondent at The Athletic *ex-Sunday Times and TalkSport)

Yeah, that was where I saw it, has been kept very quiet.

• I think that is about the best he could do with who is available, good to see Marshall and Scarles on the bench
  • edited January 21
    Really need Cornet and ings To step up
  • It's the sort of game where, with a stronger team around him, Ings could have done ok, but I'm not sure this team will boss possession even against Sheffield Utd. A couple of times on Tuesday he just looked so slow, the complete antithesis to what we want from a CF.
    Would love to see a good performance from Cornet, more chance of that if he's on the left than the right imo.
  • We'll struggle to create anything with that side IMO. Just have to hope for a bit of magic from Bowen, a poach from Soucek or a JWP free-kick/set piece assist.

Luckily Sheffield Utd are not very good.
  • Looks like Ings may be a No.10. Cornet & Fornals out wide. Bowen up top.