Brighton (H) 19.30 Tuesday, January 2nd, or 14.30 in the USA (East)

Comments

• I think I would have preferred Fornals to come off.
  • I'm going to look back to see who was digging him out for playing second string players in the cup games.
  • Two top 6 wannabes. Neither showing that they have the quality to really be considered a top 6 team.
  • We're living dangerously atm, very worrying.
  • Is it going to be like this 'til Afcon is over 🙄
  • edited January 2
    Take the point. We know it’s going to be like this whilst Kudus & Paqueta are absent. Let’s hope Paqueta is back for the next league game & maybe we can bring in a wide player on loan.

Effort was there & no goals conceded in 4 league games.
  • 0-0 FT, not unhappy with the point with the pressure we were under towards the end.
  • For the last 20 minutes we did nothing but defend. Very painful to watch.
  • We’re not the only side who have been forced to defend like that v Brighton.
  • To an outsider, Brighton strolled around like they were the home team, keeping us under pressure
  • Bit unfortunate that Benrahma was taken off. We had no creative spark. Poor Mubama once again got no service. Moyes will have to rethink the team and tactics for the next EPL game.
  • Pretty even first half but certainly a frustrating second half, only one team showed any interest in actually winning the game.

Not one for the memories but it highlights how reliant we are on just a couple of players, at the end of the day, happy to respect the point.
  • Lukerz said:

We’re not the only side who have been forced to defend like that v Brighton.

Spurs were forced to pick the ball out of their net four times =)
  • Pengeman said:

Bit unfortunate that Benrahma was taken off. We had no creative spark. Poor Mubama once again got no service. Moyes will have to rethink the team and tactics for the next EPL game.

Hopefully we'll at least have Paqueta back for that one.
  • Not the greatest game of football I’ve ever seen but without our two top boys I’ll take the point.
  • Cornet must be really bad in training.
  • Slacker said:

Not the greatest game of football I’ve ever seen but without our two top boys I’ll take the point.

Just a shame we rely on two players
  • No Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Kudus, Paqueta, Antonio, no wonder we struggled creatively. Benrahma is not good enough & Fornals is not a RW. Bowen struggled today & Soucek struggled to get into the game, didn’t seem him win many headers. JWP & Alvarez were good & so were the back four defensively. Areola also excellent.

I’d rather play Benrahma as a 10, whilst we have no attacking options.
  • We don’t rely on those two but it’s £90m worth of talent & when you play top sides (which Brighton are), you need those players.
  • My motm is Areola. His saves (or sometimes simply his presence) got us a fourth clean sheet in the PL in a row. When was the last time that happened? With Sheffield and Bournemouth coming up, could it be 5 or even 6?

We might not be setting the prem alight with goals but we were missing our two most creative players today, we were not playing our strongest defensive pairing and still managed a clean sheet.

And Moyes fought off the urge to bring Ings on.
  • from the bbc

Brighton had 22 shots in this match, the most West Ham have faced in a Premier League home game without conceding since December 2017 against Arsenal.
  • My motm is Areola. His saves (or sometimes simply his presence) got us a fourth clean sheet in the PL in a row.

If you want your vote to count you need to use the other thread.

• It is becoming so clear that we have a very good first eleven when everyone is available but the gap between the second eleven is getting bigger, and it is not about game time. Benrahma does not offer enough to be in the team. Happy with the point tonight.
  • edited January 2
    I think there is a difference between natural squad depth & missing 6 first team regulars. Natural squad depth is the likes of Ogbonna, Mavropanos, Benrahma stepping in. Missing Coufal, Aguerd, Zouma, Kudus, Paqueta, Antonio is not fair to class as issues with squad depth. That’s a crisis.

We were good first half. We struggled second half as the game went on.
  • edited January 2
    I didn't get to see the match but would have been happy with a draw before kick off. I think it is a case of what may have been had we had Kudus and Paq playing.

What is very encouraging is that we have not only kept three clean sheets against Man Utd, Arsenal and Brighton, but that the last two have been with very patched up defences, which shows we do have some squad depth and that they are being prepared and set up very well by the coaching staff.

It's nearly three weeks until the next league match against Sheffield Utd and then Bournemouth, two matches that in theory we could win without being full strength and a good chance to pick up 6 points which would really take us forward again and help us keep our current position until Kudus returns for the more difficult fixtures arriving after them.
  • Cornet.

Why did he not get any minutes?

For me, he should have been on the pitch at some point.
  • So, were you happy with his performance in training?

My point being z we have no idea what's going on that affects the selection.
  • I have no idea. But why put him on the bench if he is not good/ready/fit to come on?
  • Paquets and Kudus, if we sold them now theoretically, would command massive fees. These two are, along with Bowen, are three players we (IMO) are lucky to have. So noty having 2 of them available was always going to blunt our attacking threat. I was hoping for a hold out and a set piece goal as thats one of our most popular ways to score. Brightons style of play was always going to see them dominate possession and they have plenty of players absent. I dont think they rely on certain individuals as much as we do. Happy to ger a point which makes it an impressive 10 from recent games
  • I wish a journalist would ask what’s the issue with Cornet.