Brighton (H) 19.30 Tuesday, January 2nd, or 14.30 in the USA (East)

edited December 2023 in General Chatter
A comfortable 3-0 win?

Comments

• Can't believe you jinxed it.
  • MrsGrey said:

Can't believe you jinxed it.

But we are massive!
  • Not that massive =)
  • steve said:

Not that massive =)

You’re either massive or not. You can’t be a little bit massive.
  • We can be massive against the top teams, but when we play those from the lower reaches of the league sometimes the wheels come off.
  • edited December 2023
    Paqueta has allegedly tweeted something suggesting he'll only be out for a week or so ("just a small injury on the calf"), so he'll miss this but could be back for the FA Cup 3rd round if we want to risk him then. After that we haven't got a game until 21st Jan which, hopefully, he'll be back for.
  • Despite beating Spurs and drawing with Palace it seems Santa left Roberto De Zerbi a lump of coal in his Christmas stocking.

Before the holiday season kicked off Brighton were without CB Adam Webster, RB/CB Joel Veltman, RB Tariq Lamptey, RW Solly March, LW Ansu Fati and CF Julio Enciso

Against Palace LW Kauro Mitoma and RW Simon Adinga were added to the injured list then to make matters worse CB Igor and AM Facundo Buonanotte came off against Spurs,

Adam Lallana came on as a 90th minute substitute but was reported to be limping by the final whistle and captain Lewis Dunk picked up his 5th yellow of the season

On the plus side LB Pervis Estupinan made his first appearance since September as a half time substitute against Spurs and scored

Igor could be fit but potentially that leaves just one out-and-out CB, 23yo Jan Paul van Hecke and on the forums the Brighton fans are scratching their heads as to who will play alongside him

With a shortage of midfielders James Milner has moved up from RB to help fill the gaps allowing 18yo Jack Hinshelwood, promoted from the U21s, a place in the starting XI,

Up front things are decidedly healthier, Joao Pedro has started the last six matches and is currently top scorer with 13 in all competitions. Danny Wellbeck recovered from a hamstring injury earlier this month although 19yo Evan Ferguson has only scored twice since his hattrick against Newcastle in September.

De Zerbi's press conference will be interesting,,,
  • For us it’s all going to be about who is available from the questionable lot. Presumably Paqueta won’t make this one, and the fact we’ve heard nothing to confirm that Kudus won’t be available hopefully means he will be. Then it’s down to the centre backs. If one or more of Zouma or Aguerd are available you’d expect them to come back in.

The big question will be who replaces Paqueta. You’d assume it’ll be either Benrahma or Fornals, but both have been pretty rubbish of late. I wouldn’t mind seeing Cornet come in on the left, but that seems highly unlikely. The only other realistic option would be for one of the strikers to come in, and let Kudus play the Paqueta free role.
  • Areola
    Coufal - Mavropanos - Ogbonna - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Kudus - Bowen - Benrahma

Will probably be the side, even if Aguerd is available.
  • I’d really like to see Cornet with how rubbish Fornals and Benrahma have been. Had been hoping that penalty was the perfect way for Benrahma to maybe kick on…
  • Why doesn't JW-P take the penalties?
  • Perhaps he will now ,Did he take them for saints
  • Why doesn't JW-P take the penalties?

Too close. 😂
  • IronHerb said:

Why doesn't JW-P take the penalties?

=)
    Too close.
    Perhaps he could ask to take them from outside the penalty area =)
  • edited December 2023
    It's being reported that both Kudus and Aguerd will be unavailable for this due to permission not being given by their respective national sides, a big blow to our creative output if we're missing Paqueta and Kudus for this one.
  • Ward-Prowse took penalties at Saints, scored 17, missed 5
  • Paqueta will take them if he's playing .which does my head in .If not him or Benny .Then Bowen could be worth a shout
  • I'm not sure what Nobes is doing ( all a bit vague as to how involvement with the club) but just get him to do a Penalty Masterclass.
    He was fantastic. And if he can impart some of the skill and mindset that made him one of the best penalty takers, it would be a great use of his experience and ( presumed) wish to help out.
  • Does seem very harsh on us that we're likely losing Aguerd and Kudus for this match simply because the match was re-arranged for TV whereas AFCON bound players for teams that play Saturday or Sunday can play in this round of fixtures; leaves a bad taste in the mouth tbh.
  • edited December 2023
    I've been having a look at Brighton and the players who aren't injured

For starters De Zerbi rotates goalkeeping duty between 33yo Jason Steele (14 games) and 21yo Bart Vebruggen (12 games). The last ten games...

Sheff U H Steele D1-1
    Forest A Verbruggen W3-2
    AEK A Verbruggen W1-0
    Chelsea A Steele L2-3
    Brentford H Steele W2-1
    Burnley H Verbruggen D1-1
    Marseille H Steele W1-0
    Arsenal A Verbruggen L0-2
    Palace A Verbruggen D1-1
    Spurs H Steele W4-2

If anyone can determine a pattern to the selection then please feel free to explain

For the rest its a bit threadbare and noticeably young with just 15 outfield players of which 7 are 23 or under

At the back we have 23yo CB Jan Paul Van Hecke 18(2) and 18yo RB/LB/CB/DM/CM Jack Hinshelwood 7(4) with 25yo LB Pervis Estupinan 8(2) just back from injury. 25yo CB/LB Igor 12(4) is doubtful after picking up a knock against Spurs which that leaves a big question mark over the back four

In midfield 32yo Pascal Gross 22(1) and 22yo Scottish international Billy Gilmour 17(8) are the only two who could be described as regular first choice starters, 37yo James Milner, 11(6) has been used mostly as a fullback but recently has moved up into midfield to cover the gaps

Other midfield options are 27yo CM/DM Mahoud Dahoud 9(5) signed on a free from Borussia Dortmund, 19yo CM/DM Carlos Baleba 8(9) signed from Lille in August although the general opinion on the forums is that he's well below Premier League standard and 24yo Polish CM/DM Jakub Moder 0(4) who returned in November after 19 months out with cruciate ligament

Between the midfield and the strikers there's 35yo Adam Lallana 8(7) who has struggled for fitness all season or 19yo AM/RW Facundo Bounanotte 7(8) who also picked up a knock against Spurs

Up front there's 22yo Joao Pedro 14(12), 19yo Evan Ferguson 12(10) and 33yo Danny Wellbeck 9(5) who missed two months with hamstring

Other than that De Zerbi will be relying on U21s
  • Apparently Kudus and Aguerd available for this one? Both to fly out after the game.
  • edited December 2023

Apparently Kudus and Aguerd available for this one? Both to fly out after the game.

That's odd, as unfortunately some sources (such as Claret and Hugh) are stating that Kudus is not available.
  • I think Verbruggen may start. He plays in most away matches.
  • He's started one more away game than Steele but your guess is as good as mine

Verbruggen 5 home, 7 away
    Steele 8 home, 6 away
  • After reading ASLEF's analysis of Brighton, I think this will definitely be a LOSS. ;)
  • The West Ham supporter DNA in me is expecting a loss. Surely we can't do the double over Brighton, it's just not the West Ham way 🤔 🤞
  • edited January 1
    Will be very difficult without Zouma, Paqueta & Kudus. A draw would be fantastic & keep us 6th.

Not sure who will come in. Benrahma will be one I assume & then maybe Fornals or Ings & Bowen going back to the right. I’d be tempted to play Cornet RW.

Expect it will be…

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Ings - Benrahma

I’d maybe go Benrahma as a 10 behind Bowen, with Ward-Prowse playing more from the right & Fornals/Cornet on the left.
  • I would like to see Mubama play instead of Ings. This game (and the FA Cup tied) could give Cornet, Benrahma and Fornals chance to resurrect their careers.
  • Yeah, I’d go:

Areola
    Ward-Prowse -Soucek - Alvarez - Benrahma
    Fornals
    Bowen
  • edited January 2
    De Zerbi confirms CB/LB Igor is injured but AM/RW Facundo Buonanotte is fit and CB Adam Webster "could play a part of the game if we need him",

Webster hasn't played since 12 November when he scored an own goal to give Sheffield a 1-1 draw. Some sort of muscle strain suffered while training apparently

Brighton have recalled 21yo LW Jeremy Sarmiento from loan at WBA and 21yo CM Jensen Weir from Blackpool