Brighton (H) 19.30 Tuesday, January 2nd, or 14.30 in the USA (East)

Comments

• edited January 2
    Do we know if Paqueta is definitely absent for this?

He said a week on social media, which would suggest he could be in with a small chance of making it, if he’s recovered quickly.

I can only see us losing without Kudus & him.
  • edited January 2
    Great news.

Actually, may be a fake account?
  • C ÷H saying Kudus has a slight hamstring problem and will join up later
  • edited January 2
    Areola, Johnson, Mavropanos, Ogbonna ©, Emerson, Álvarez, Ward-Prowse, Souček, Fornals, Benrahma Bowen
    Subs: Fabiański, Cresswell, Casey, Laing, Coventry, Orford, Cornet, Ings, Mubama

Mostly pretty much as expected, Benrahma and Fornals in for Paqueta and Kudus, and Mavropanos and Ogbonna continue at CB in the absense of Aguerd and Zouma. The surprise is Coufal is missing, Johnson starts at RB.
  • Oh no not Johnson .where's Coufal
  • steve said:

Oh no not Johnson .where's Coufal

Reported to be "ill".
  • BBC says he's (reportedly) unhappy about his contract situation :(
  • BBC saying Coufal is not happy with his contract ext .If that's true then its not good news .He's been one of our best players
  • The bench looks really thin, we really are down to bare bones.
  • Does not seem to be the type to down tools Hope it just illness
  • steve said:

BBC saying Coufal is not happy with his contract ext .If that's true then its not good news .He's been one of our best players

I believe that we've activated a one year extension, to take it to the end of next season. At that point he'll be nearly 33 (he turns 33 in August 2025), so I can understand the club's reluctance to extend much beyond that tbh.
  • On the O S it's saying players missing with injure or illness .think the BBC have blown this one up
  • MrsGrey said:

BBC says he's (reportedly) unhappy about his contract situation :(

The official WHU website (https://www.whufc.com/news/team-news-benrahma-fornals-and-johnson-start-west-ham-against-brighton ) says "The Hammers manager is without Vladimír Coufal, Kurt Zouma, Thilo Kehrer, Lucas Paquetá and Michail Antonio due to either illness or injury, while Nayef Aguerd and Mohammed Kudus have departed to join up with Morocco and Ghana respectively for the CAF Africa Cup of Nations".

This suggests that Coufal is ill or injured though I suppose they won't say that he is sulking or has downed tools. I think he is too good a professional to go on strike.
  • I think we'll do well to get anything with that side.
  • Be a miracle if we get anything out of this.
  • edited January 2
    Pengeman said:

MrsGrey said:

BBC says he's (reportedly) unhappy about his contract situation :(

The official WHU website (https://www.whufc.com/news/team-news-benrahma-fornals-and-johnson-start-west-ham-against-brighton ) says "The Hammers manager is without Vladimír Coufal, Kurt Zouma, Thilo Kehrer, Lucas Paquetá and Michail Antonio due to either illness or injury, while Nayef Aguerd and Mohammed Kudus have departed to join up with Morocco and Ghana respectively for the CAF Africa Cup of Nations".

This suggests that Coufal is ill or injured though I suppose they won't say that he is sulking or has downed tools. I think he is too good a professional to go on strike.
    That article specifically says Coufal is ill:

"with Johnson deputising for the ill Coufal at right-back"

Whether there's more to it than that is another matter though.
  • Reported to be lots of travel disruption due to the storm, so could be a lot of empty seats tonight, certainly for kick-off.
  • All in all would take a point
  • BBC inflaming things, as usual. Trying to make stories, rather than reporting them.
  • Benrahma needs to put in a performance tonight, particularly when tracking back when out of possession, he is usually far too lightweight doing that.
  • I'd be amazed if we get anything tonight with that side but this team has a habit of surprising me but also really disappointing me hahaha. Who knows, one of replacement players may play out of their skin and surprise us all.
  • I'd be amazed if we get anything tonight with that side but this team has a habit of surprising me but also really disappointing me hahaha. Who knows, one of replacement players may play out of their skin and surprise us all.

True vut the disappointments usually come against teams we would expect to beat,not against teams who we consider our bogey teams. So cue 3 points today and a defeat against Sheffield.
  • We have lost 50% of our goal threat with Kudus missing and Bowen now our only primary threat. I would have said we have little chance with that side but I would have said the same about the Arsenal line up so whilst I wouldn't make us favourites it's not beyond us winning. I would settle for a draw however.
  • It’s really dull watching Brighton pointlessly knock it around for 10 minutes
  • I know Kudus has been good for us, but he's a quite recent starter. We managed ok before.
  • Does anyone else believe that Mavropanos moonlights as a panto villan after games
  • De Zerbi seemingly having a toddler tantrum on the bench.
  • edited January 2
    Looks like 3-4-1-2 with Buonanotte in the hole, Milner LWB and Hinshelwood RWB
  • Doesn't Welbeck always score against us?